IGNORED

the 93rd PGA Championship...

senorchipotle
Note: This thread is 4624 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'll be honest: I don't see anyone in the last two groups winning tomorrow. Congratulations to Steele, Dufner, Bradley, and Verplank for playing well, but I doubt they have another round of par or better in them. On the other hand, there are many among the group of players standing between even and 2-under that have the potential to post a low score early that might hold up as the leaders make their way in. On a course that has yielded both birdies and double bogeys in abundance, I expect even more fireworks tomorrow.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

I'll be honest: I don't see anyone in the last two groups winning tomorrow. Congratulations to Steele, Dufner, Bradley, and Verplank for playing well, but I doubt they have another round of par or better in them. On the other hand, there are many among the group of players standing between even and 2-under that have the potential to post a low score early that might hold up as the leaders make their way in. On a course that has yielded both birdies and double bogeys in abundance, I expect even more fireworks tomorrow.

I'm inclined to agree.

As always, too, join our chat tomorrow at about 2pm eastern time: http://thesandtrap.com/b/pga/2011_pga_championship_final_round_chat .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

Even though he's never won, I'd put a couple bucks on Dufner, He's hitting his ball to the smart areas. Verplank is a great putter but he can't possibly sink bombs like that 2 days in a row, can he? Can he? Either way, I'd like to see him win a major.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Steele won the Valero Texas Open on a tight course under tough conditions. I think he could pull this off.

As an aside, I thought it was quite funny that after all the golf media soul searching about the lack of American success in recent majors, the CBS commentators made little effort to hide their disappointment about the lack of "names" at the top of the leader board.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How about David Toms as the phoenix rising from the ashes to take a 2nd PGA? I would say that would be the best story on the top of the leaderboard.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Even though he's never won, I'd put a couple bucks on Dufner, He's hitting his ball to the smart areas. Verplank is a great putter but he can't possibly sink bombs like that 2 days in a row, can he? Can he? Either way, I'd like to see him win a major.

Did you hear that he hasn't shot a round under par in 2 months on tour before this tournament?  Him playing this well suddenly is quite a shock.  We may be looking at another Shaun Micheel winner.

Originally Posted by Stretch

Steele won the Valero Texas Open on a tight course under tough conditions. I think he could pull this off.

As an aside, I thought it was quite funny that after all the golf media soul searching about the lack of American success in recent majors, the CBS commentators made little effort to hide their disappointment about the lack of "names" at the top of the leader board.

I'm with you on Steele winning.  I wouldn't be surprised however if we saw a "nobody wants to win it" type of finish today.  I'm anticipating some nerves getting in the way and multiple players in the top 10 making doubles on the back nine!

The top 10 may not have lots of "names" but I bet it is going to be an exciting finish.

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

Your question may be rhetorical but I'd like to provide an answer: It's because another win by Scott would make Williams even more insufferable.

So Senor, I'm with you in that I think it's perfectly reasonable to have mixed feelings about Scott potentially winning. (Actually in my case they also stem from his use of the long putter.)

Aha, now you have provided me with a much more compelling argument !!

But of course Adam will still be the collateral damage, and that seems a tad unfair. Just a tad.

Nice try though.  I hadn't thought of that myself.  I'm now lying in bed anticipating a fine day's golf on the telly and thank you for making such an enjoyable start to proceedings. And all before breakfast (my wife thinks I'm nuts of course .....)

Yours,  Chas.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

p.s. I don't care, just as long as it isn't a yank .....

Just kidding there chaps. FYI, I carry a U.S. passport, have done all my life.

Since I didn't watch much yesterday I have no real idea who's in contention.  All the more reason to sit back and enjoy proceedings today.  You guys are much too knowledgeable about this, it can be a handicap you know ........

All I can say of relevance is that Phil wasn't wearing a white belt yesterday, which is always a profound relief to observe.

Texancajun:  that is interesting.  Always compelling to me when it turns into a psychodrama on Sunday.  Makes me feel better about my own game in a not very flattering sort of way.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I'm glad to see an American might win a Major.. it's been awhile for us..LOL

Tools in the Ogio bag.
Driver      Callaway
 Razr Fit Xtreme 8.5* Extra Stiff

3 wood   Callaway X hot Stiff flex

Hybrid     Ping I20 3H 20* & 4H 23*
Irons       Ping  I20 5-PW

Wedges  Ping Tour Gorge 52 & 56 Callaway Mack daddy 60*

Putter     Scotty Cameron Monterey

Balls      Bridgestone B-330

Shoes          Skycaddie SGX

If Americans don't win this one you all should be ashamed

Originally Posted by mazzamouth

I'm glad to see an American might win a Major.. it's been awhile for us..LOL

I can't believe my hometown boy, Jason Dufner, DUFFED and flopped right off the board. Hopefully Bradley takes this now. Let's go underdogs!

Oh sorry, that didn't happen -yet-. Not to be negative, but this usually happens with our teams/players here in Cleveland. They take a glimmer of hope and flush it like a turd! (Still rooting for Dufner though!). Just preparing myself for when it does happen I guess LOL

Dufner perhaps? The guy has clearly paid his dues, nice to see him win with that crazy waggle. David Toms or Scott Verplank would be nice stories too. It'll be interesting to see if any one of these guys can hold it together.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

He's hanging in there pretty good. Love to see him win. Long way to go......

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Why did I see what looked like a player riding in a cart about an hour or so ago?

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

Note: This thread is 4624 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!