IGNORED

Is Keegan Bradley the future of US Golf?

cajuntexan00
Note: This thread is 4633 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So he breaks the streak of non-US major champions, wins 2 events in his first year on tour, and apparently has nerves of steel.  That was an amazing finish after the triple bogey.  I can't remeber the last time I saw anything like that.

Any chance this guy is the next great US golfer and Dustin, Woodland, Fowler, Kim, etc. are going to be chasing him for the next decade? I'm thinking it's a possibility.

im hoping not,

i mean i like the guy, i have no reason to dislike him, i just dont find his golf entertaining much

and his "stare" is kinda freaky to,

nice to see him playing with his nephew between the end of his round and the play off though, made me smile

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

For the love of god, I was hoping there wouldn't be this kind of talk this morning.  See: Micheel, Curtis, Beem, et al.  Guy had an 'on' week, good for him, let's not shovel the hope of USA golf on his shoulders, eh?  Hell, after McIlroy obliterated a US Open setup, even he didn't nearly match that form in the subsequent weeks.

This is what Tiger Woods did to the game of golf (maybe, "re-did" to golf, if you say Jack did it first), is made us expect there to be guys that win with regularity.  It's just not going to happen, IMO.  I remember one tournament where Hunter Mahan was playing well, and the announcers went on about how well he was playing, how he had 'the kind of swing' that could win mutliple times that year.  Um...yeah....  It's a lot of fun to see different guys step up and play their best - Bradley definitely had his own energy and pulled off some great shots-  and win.  It was also amazing to see Tiger manage to stave off, time after time, ''that guy" who has having his best week, and manage to win.  It doesn't look like that's happening soon, so the status quo WILL be, a different winner each week, and no one is 'the future of US Golf.'

Some notes on the final leaderboard this weekend:

Kevin Na and DA Points in the top 10 - good players, rarely contenders.  Adam Scott, off a win, playing some of his best golf, 7th place.  Phil Mickelson, a non-contending 19th.  Schwartzel, torches Augusta, barely heard him since, 12th.  Jim Furyk - perennial top WGC ranking, do we ever hear him in the mix, 39th?  Jonny Vegas, he won early, we talked of him being 'next,' 51st.  DLIII, having such a good year, people talking of his late-age renaissance (yet we question if Tiger can play into his 40's), 72nd.

Missed cut: Kaymer, Day (playing some good golf in earlier weeks), Dustin Johnson (so tired of hearing of his coronation), Vijay, Graeme, Oosthuizen.  These are guys with (presumably) no major life upheavals going on, no tireless media scrutiny being shone upon them, that missed the cut, and (my gut, not sure the actual stats) miss the cut with reasonable frequency.  Yet, a rookie completely busts the odds and suddenly we're going to talk like he's going to go on some streak of winning tournaments now.

Gah, I'm ranting, I know....

• Upvote 2

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

Keegan will hang around and be a better than average player.  Will others live up to their hype? We'll see. The Ams coming to the PGA in this next wave are well groomed for stardom. Cantley will be a stud. Ueihlen should too. There are only so many majors and so many wanting them. But to be on point of OP- My belief is Keegan will be heard from again. On any given week for anyone other than Tiger circa pre 2010...You gotta bring all your A game for the week to compete and then who guts it out at the end....Keegan can.

For the love of god, I was hoping there wouldn't be this kind of talk this morning.  See: Micheel, Curtis, Beem, et al.  Guy had an 'on' week, good for him, let's not shovel the hope of USA golf on his shoulders, eh?  Hell, after McIlroy obliterated a US Open setup, even he didn't nearly match that form in the subsequent weeks.

This is what Tiger Woods did to the game of golf (maybe, "re-did" to golf, if you say Jack did it first), is made us expect there to be guys that win with regularity.  It's just not going to happen, IMO.  I remember one tournament where Hunter Mahan was playing well, and the announcers went on about how well he was playing, how he had 'the kind of swing' that could win mutliple times that year.  Um...yeah....  It's a lot of fun to see different guys step up and play their best - Bradley definitely had his own energy and pulled off some great shots-  and win.  It was also amazing to see Tiger manage to stave off, time after time, ''that guy" who has having his best week, and manage to win.  It doesn't look like that's happening soon, so the status quo WILL be, a different winner each week, and no one is 'the future of US Golf.'

Some notes on the final leaderboard this weekend:

Kevin Na and DA Points in the top 10 - good players, rarely contenders.  Adam Scott, off a win, playing some of his best golf, 7th place.  Phil Mickelson, a non-contending 19th.  Schwartzel, torches Augusta, barely heard him since, 12th.  Jim Furyk - perennial top WGC ranking, do we ever hear him in the mix, 39th?  Jonny Vegas, he won early, we talked of him being 'next,' 51st.  DLIII, having such a good year, people talking of his late-age renaissance (yet we question if Tiger can play into his 40's), 72nd.

Missed cut: Kaymer, Day (playing some good golf in earlier weeks), Dustin Johnson (so tired of hearing of his coronation), Vijay, Graeme, Oosthuizen.  These are guys with (presumably) no major life upheavals going on, no tireless media scrutiny being shone upon them, that missed the cut, and (my gut, not sure the actual stats) miss the cut with reasonable frequency.  Yet, a rookie completely busts the odds and suddenly we're going to talk like he's going to go on some streak of winning tournaments now.

Gah, I'm ranting, I know....

And Bubba Watson started strong this year, but hasn't been much of a force after that. You're right, can't push the weight of the world on anyone's shoulders too quickly. Everyone wants a Tiger-like replacement, but that kind of player isn't made by winning a tournament, even if it's a major.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I would disagree with the barely heard from him since. 9th-16th-12th in his next 3 majors is no disaster.

Stat (I love Stats): Schwartzel was a combined -14 on all 4 majors this year. Next best were Stricker and Garcia 10 shots behind at 4 under.

Originally Posted by sonicblue

Schwartzel, torches Augusta, barely heard him since, 12th.

Originally Posted by carpediem4300

im hoping not,

i mean i like the guy, i have no reason to dislike him, i just dont find his golf entertaining much

What is your definition of "entertaining golf"? To me, any guy that comes back from a terrible hole to win in a playoff is quite entertaining.

Who's golf do you find entertaining?  He hits the ball just as far as anyone on tour and plays aggressively.  Is it because he uses a long putter?

Originally Posted by carpediem4300

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Should I start the thread now.

"Is (please insert winner of next major who is young) the future of golf?"

You don't compare a football team to the 1972 Miami Dolphins when the team starts the season 1-0.

• Upvote 1

Who knows, but I'll "retweet" this:

Kevin Blue
College golf at PGA: Dufner a walk-on at Auburn, Bradley played for St. John's, Steele for UC Riverside. No need to be blue chip junior.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mickleson i find entertaining, his magic around the green the and scrambling play is something to behold,

fowler i find his whole persona entertaining, his dress sense, he has a flair about his golf that jsut makes me follow him

tiger is the guy that thinks of a shot and plays it, and watching him just to see a shot of brilliance keeps me going

tom watson - always hoping to see moments of magic from his former days

the list goes on of people who i find as a package "entertaining" to watch, they all have quirks or expectations that mean i watch them and follow them.

Keegan does nothing for me other than hes a long hitter, i watched the final out of interest, but didnt find it enjoyable golf.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Who's golf do you find entertaining?  He hits the ball just as far as anyone on tour and plays aggressively.  Is it because he uses a long putter?

Originally Posted by FowlPlay

What is your definition of "entertaining golf"? To me, any guy that comes back from a terrible hole to win in a playoff is quite entertaining.

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

I see no reason Tiger should be picked for the Presidents cup other then more of a "wow" factor and what he brings in terms of media attention. His pathetic performance at the PGA speaks volumes. I know he pulled it through at the Ryder Cup when he was picked, but who knows if he can do it again at the Presidents cup.

they need tiger at the presidents cup for two reasons...ratings...and more ratings. as for the op, i rolled my eyes while opening the thread. comon people, he's won two tourneys in the same year...doesn't make him the next almighty...what's next? a thread to count his majors and how far back he is from jack and how many weeks/days/months he is ahead/behind his pace?...in the words of keyshawn, "COMon man..."

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

The Irish run in majors continues:

Quote:

Keegan said: “I’m really proud of my Irish heritage. I have a shamrock on my bag and my logo’s a shamrock too. The Bradley family is intensely Irish and my aunt is very proud of her roots in Cork and so am I. She goes over there every year with my uncles when they play in the Brothers Tournament. I went over when I was about eight in 1994 but I can’t remember too much about it so I really want to go back again. I’d really love to return to Ireland and play in the Irish Open some day. That would be really cool.”

And his legendary aunt Pat Bradley - a Hall of Fame player and the winner of six major titles - reckons it was his “Irish toughness” that helped him come back from a 15th hole triple bogey to snatch the Wanamaker Trophy from Jason Dufner after a heart-stopping play-off. Auntie Pat, whose grandparents hailed from Ballycotton in Cork,  insisted: “He showed some Bradley toughness. We’re an Irish family and we have that Irish toughness and he showed that today. I am just so very proud of him the way he fought back and brought it home.”

(This post is obviously not an overly serious post, I thought I would add that point in before somebody angrily disagrees)

Originally Posted by deasy55

The Irish run in majors continues:

Quote:

(This post is obviously not an overly serious post, I thought I would add that point in before somebody angrily disagrees)

Don't forget about Phil McKelson and Louie O'Osthuizen!?!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4633 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!