IGNORED

Can we all finally agree that Tiger is done?

muggs
Note: This thread is 4016 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Some serious head issues are going to continue to compound with every 3 foot par putt that lips out.

Losing his father, the obvious turmoil in his life which he brought on himself, the constant swing changes, changing coaches, the loss of the intimidation factor, he continues to age, the knee issues...seems to me that is too much to overcome. He had an incredible run.

It was such a sudden and drastic fall from grace/the top, I guess I can see why people are having a hard time seeing it...but the writing is on the wall in plain view.

In my Callaway stand bag:

9.5 Degree Taylormade Burner Superfast Adilla Voodoo shaft
3 Wood: Cleveland Launcher 15 degree Adilla Voodoo shaft
Irons 3-SW: Callaway X-14 Steelhead

Lob wedge: Cleveland 60 degree

Putter: Ping Anser Karsten

I'm a little sick of people comparing everything to the year 2000 and the Butch swing.  He was 24 and with his talent he could have won with any swing he chose.  He is far from done and this week's beating will tell him a few things.

1- He has the ability to get himself in contention (he's done it 4 tournaments in a row)

2- His full swing is coming along

3- He can now focus on short game and putting

It's always darkest before dawn guys, he will be ranked #1 by end of the year or early next year.

In my bag

Driver:      SLDR 10.5*

Hybrids:   Taylormade RBZ Stage 2

Irons:       NikeVR PRO 4-PW

Wedges:   Nike VR Pro 50* 54* 58*

Putter:      2014 Newport 2

Ball:          E6

These thread are always laughable - done as in done from ever being Tiger in 2000?  Yes. Done from the perspective of being in a lot of tournaments and winning 2 or 3 a year?  Not by a long shot.  It ALL comes down to putting.  Tiger is hitting the ball really well and if he can get it rolling, he'll be fine.

Do I think he'll break Nicklaus' record?  At this point, probably not.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

I agree..Let's move on. Perhaps we can start a thread about.."Should Tiger caddy for Phil" or..."Has the lack of steroid use really affected his game?"...something like that..

I predict that Tiger will have at least 2 more winning streaks in his career - I expect one of them to start by the second half of this year.  Depending on when those streaks occur and how long they last - he could definitely win 4 more majors and break Jack's record.  If Tiger goes on a really hot streak, winning 2 majors in a year is not out of the question.

If anything, I think that the last few events have shown that Tiger is anything but done... his swing is finally getting to that "automatic" point and he has been in contention on Sunday regularly... With the exception of the Chevron, he hasn't pulled out a win quite yet, but it's coming no doubt.

For the life of me, I can't understand why so many think that Tiger is done when he doesn't win... He played some great golf the last couple weeks and with the level of talent that is out there it's tough to get a "W."  His is on the way.  Personally, I still think that he'll get more than one this year and possibly a major.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For the life of me, I can't understand why so many think that Tiger is done when he doesn't win.

Most people have very unreliable memories. They tend to telescope events that happened over a decade or two into a couple years. They do it with Jack, thinking that he was in the final group with Palmer, Player, Trevino, and Watson every Sunday, and now they're doing it with Tiger, thinking he used to win every event he played. The truth is that he won about 30% of the events he played before 2010, and even at his best, which IMO was the best ever seen, he won less than half of his events. In 2000, in between shattering records at the US and British Opens, he finished T23 at the Western Open. And in between record breaking performances at the British and PGA, he finished T11 at the weak-field Buick Open. How anyone can think winning at the top level is easy, when they've seen the 54-hole leader bomb out almost every week so far this year, is beyond me.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by RichF

Watching yesterday, it was quite strange to see him as he was.

I feel bad for Woods today, but he's he'll convince himself he's not 'done' - but he has to get a very big win: a WGC, The Players and/or a Major to be considered 'back'.

Of course, he'll come back and try again of course but you can tell he just doesn't have it anymore.

Woods may not have it like he did 4-5 years ago but yesterday was not an indication of how good he can still be. In his last 3 tournaments including Sherwood, he's competed very well and had a chance to win all 3 tournaments. I have no doubt that right now he's a top 10 player who will get better.

Quote:

Can we all finally agree that Tiger is done?

No.

Dude, we can't even agree on how much grain affects a putt!

Tiger is far from done -

1) He's only 35

2) He still hits it plenty far enough

3) He won an unofficial event late last year & has contended twice since then

There is nothing to suggest he is even remotely close to "done". Check back in 15 years.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by zipazoid

1) He's only 35

If only we had some scientific studies that could show us... oh... wait...

Originally Posted by zipazoid

1) He's only 35

Well, he's 36, but Phil is still winning, obviously, and he's 41 IIRC.

This thread is still as dumb as it was the day it was started, and "no" is still my answer. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by MSchott

Woods may not have it like he did 4-5 years ago but yesterday was not an indication of how good he can still be. In his last 3 tournaments including Sherwood, he's competed very well and had a chance to win all 3 tournaments. I have no doubt that right now he's a top 10 player who will get better.

It'll be funny if he keeps posting Top-10's all year without a win and "Westwood's" himself into the #1 spot without a major.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

Originally Posted by iacas

If only we had some scientific studies that could show us... oh... wait...

Well, he's 36, but Phil is still winning, obviously, and he's 41 IIRC.

This thread is still as dumb as it was the day it was started, and "no" is still my answer. :)

Well that changes everything. Washed up.

• 5 months later...

Well - I thought I'd resurrect this thread.

Tiger is not "done," in the sense that he'll have at least 20 to 30 more majors at which he will compete.  He needs what?  4 to get his wish?  That means he only needs to win 1 in 5 or 1 in 7 - that range.  That's not a lot.

But given how he folded like a cheap deck chair on Saturday, and given that the guy hasn't broken par but once on Sat. or Sun. since his comeback, the obvious conclusion is that his head game is shot and will not return unless something dramatic happens.

My opinion is that loving the game more than your wife and kids makes winning very difficult, because your entire life rests on your golf results, and not the love of people close to you.

He's not done. Heck, he won three times this year. Will he dominate again? I don't think so. Will he win enough majors to surpass Jack? No. IMHO, he may never win another major. He can't come up big when it counts in a major because his psyche is permanently damaged from the revelations about his personal life. It's a bit sad, but when the emperor has been disrobed, he  never returns to rule again. I see he's trying to reach out a bit to the fans on the course and to some of the interviewers. I feel bad for the guy in a way. All the range time and instruction from Sean Foley will not erase the public humiliation he endured. He will never be as self confident and mentally strong as he was, therefore he may win regular tour events but will crack from the pressure in the majors.

I'm down to a 10 handicap. At this rate, I'll get to scratch at 90 years old!

Originally Posted by beachbreak

All the range time and instruction from Sean Foley will not erase the public humiliation he endured. He will never be as self confident and mentally strong as he was, therefore he may win regular tour events but will crack from the pressure in the majors.

Well put.

I don't think he's done and he may eek out 4 more majors but as you said, he won't dominate the game again because everyone has seen he's just as flawed as they are. He's not the mental Superman most people thought he was or his Kryptonite is having his image tarnished. Once people stopped worshiping the ground he walked on, he too realized he's just a man.

He's not done learning his new swing, so we don't know how good he will be next year. But I will revise my opinion about who the best player in the world is. Tiger has not played as well as Rory played today since 2009 at the latest. So, unless he improves, he can't beat Rory at his best. But Rory isn't always at his best, as his streak of MCs earlier this year shows. So as things sit now, Tiger has to catch Rory on an off week, and be on his own game, to win. It will be very interesting to see who's better next year. My question for the '18>14' guys, though, is this: Suppose Tiger gets to the point where he can win majors when Rory is off his game, but even at his best, his A game can't beat Rory's A game. Is Tiger still the better player, because he has more majors?

Originally Posted by brocks

He's not done learning his new swing, so we don't know how good he will be next year.

But I will revise my opinion about who the best player in the world is. Tiger has not played as well as Rory played today since 2009 at the latest.

So, unless he improves, he can't beat Rory at his best. But Rory isn't always at his best, as his streak of MCs earlier this year shows. So as things sit now, Tiger has to catch Rory on an off week, and be on his own game, to win.

It will be very interesting to see who's better next year. My question for the '18>14' guys, though, is this: Suppose Tiger gets to the point where he can win majors when Rory is off his game, but even at his best, his A game can't beat Rory's A game.

Is Tiger still the better player, because he has more majors?

Lol, this post has some good points and I generally agree.

But do you all realize we're not only speculating that Tiger is done, but Rory is now the one chasing Jack's record? And they're the only 2 players in golf capable of winning, as well. I'd say give it a bit more time...

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Note: This thread is 4016 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!