IGNORED

Tiger invited to johnie walkers

carpediem4300
Note: This thread is 4633 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

just flashed up on sky sports news, monty's invited tiger to play at gleneagles next week, would be interesting if he accepted

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

How much is on the table?

US$1million? More?

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

doesnt say, it was just a quick news flash with a few words from monty

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

If Tiger knew what's best for him, he'd take it. He's healthy now; his new swing is coming along very well mechanically, but he needs to fine-tune it, and the only way he's going to do that is to test it in competition. Just because he won't be participating in the FedEx Cup playoffs doesn't mean he should spend the next several months shagging balls in his backyard. He should spend the fall playing in tournaments in Europe and Asia, getting tournament ready for next year and improving his global image by playing in parts of the world where he hasn't in years, if ever.

Plus, the Ryder Cup is going to be held at Gleneagles in 2014. If he plays, Tiger would be the first American to see the course in competition.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Not / never going to happen.

There's NO chance Woods will even consider playing 3 links courses in Scotland in September unless serious dollar is involved....nothing to do with practice or swings or Monty or where his game his now or anything....it's all about the money .

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by RichF

Not / never going to happen.

There's NO chance Woods will even consider playing 3 links courses in Scotland in September unless serious dollar is involved....nothing to do with practice or swings or Monty or where his game his now or anything....it's all about the money.

You're thinking of the Dunhill Links Championship, which isn't until October. The Johnnie Walker Championship is played on a single course which isn't a links, and I'm sure that the invitation extended to Woods comes at a good price. As I mentioned in my previous post, Gleneagles is hosting the Ryder Cup three years from now, and Tiger Woods playing in their tournament now makes for great publicity down the road. It's all about the money for Gleneagles, too.

Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

If Tiger knew what's best for him, he'd take it. He's healthy now; his new swing is coming along very well mechanically, but he needs to fine-tune it, and the only way he's going to do that is to test it in competition. Just because he won't be participating in the FedEx Cup playoffs doesn't mean he should spend the next several months shagging balls in his backyard. He should spend the fall playing in tournaments in Europe and Asia, getting tournament ready for next year and improving his global image by playing in parts of the world where he hasn't in years, if ever.

Plus, the Ryder Cup is going to be held at Gleneagles in 2014. If he plays, Tiger would be the first American to see the course in competition.

I agree with this. There's a very small chance of him doing it, but I think it'd be in his best interest to do so.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jamo

I agree with this. There's a very small chance of him doing it, but I think it'd be in his best interest to do so.

Yeah, the most counterproductive thing Tiger can do (for his game and the state of public opinion) is retreat to his mansion for another three months. That's most likely what's going to happen, though.

Ditto.  He should absolutely fine tune his game at tournaments.  But will he??? I hope so...

Originally Posted by jamo

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I concur.  He needs work in competition if he thinks about ever winning another major.  Not playing in competition the next few months would be the worst thing he could do.  You can really fool yourself if all you do is hit balls on the practice range/green.

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

Yeah, the most counterproductive thing Tiger can do (for his game and the state of public opinion) is retreat to his mansion for another three months. That's most likely what's going to happen, though.

Butch

Agree, he should play some tournaments.

And he should play Crans-Montana too, if he's already in Europe.

1. Great field this year (Rory, Kaymer, Westwood, Clarke...)

2. I would have a reason to miss some other events that weekend (that I don't want to go to)

I agree with you all, Tiger should accept and would likely benefit from playing competitive golf rather than just practice.  I think he may have to check with Steinberg before he decides as I not sure how the bad golf he's played the last two weeks has impacted his future endorsement deals.  Tigers bag has been withoutout sponsorship since AT&T; bailed and I doubt anyone is willing to pay high dollars for it given his current level of play.

Joe Paradiso

I agree with you all, Tiger should accept and would likely benefit from playing competitive golf rather than just practice.  I think he may have to check with Steinberg before he decides as I not sure how the bad golf he's played the last two weeks has impacted his future endorsement deals.  Tigers bag has been withoutout sponsorship since AT&T; bailed and I doubt anyone is willing to pay high dollars for it given his current level of play.

Sponsors are avoiding Tiger not so much because he's playing poorly as because he isn't playing or making public appearances at all. Why would any company want their brand represented by a hermit?

Right now we're all speculating, so are the sponsors.  Can Tiger get his form back?  Will Tiger dominate like he did?  Will Tiger beat Jack's record for Majors?  At some point Tigers going to have to go out there and win or everyone will just lose interest.  I doubt any company is willing to sign him to an endorsement deal until he can prove he's able to play to the level he once did.  It could be like the old adage, "better to say nothing and have people think you're a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt".  Steinberg might be telling Tiger until he's swinging right that he should avoid any more tournanments in fear that many more missed cuts could cost them both substantial  money.

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

Sponsors are avoiding Tiger not so much because he's playing poorly as because he isn't playing or making public appearances at all. Why would any company want their brand represented by a hermit?

Joe Paradiso

According to his press conference 2 weeks ago: He has family obligations this week.

Originally Posted by etclaw1

Tiger sits at 129 FEDEX wise, why isnt he playing the Wyndham, wouldnt a decent finish put him in the top 125?

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Right now we're all speculating, so are the sponsors.  Can Tiger get his form back?  Will Tiger dominate like he did?  Will Tiger beat Jack's record for Majors?  At some point Tigers going to have to go out there and win or everyone will just lose interest.  I doubt any company is willing to sign him to an endorsement deal until he can prove he's able to play to the level he once did.  It could be like the old adage, "better to say nothing and have people think you're a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt".  Steinberg might be telling Tiger until he's swinging right that he should avoid any more tournanments in fear that many more missed cuts could cost them both substantial  money.

Corporate sponsorships are not simply about how an individual is performing right now, especially when the individual in question is arguably the greatest person ever to play his sport. Tiger Woods' legacy alone is enough to warrant major endorsement deals, much like how Michael Jordan and John McEnroe are still relevant to the companies whose advertising campaigns they feature in. Sponsorships are not about simply associating yourself with a winner; sponsorships are about making an investment in an entity that will improve your brand's recognition among the public at large.

Certain companies were quick to dissociate themselves with Tiger after his infidelities were made public. That's understandable, but Americans are ultimately forgiving of those things. The bigger problem is that Tiger, who was a reserved personality that valued his privacy even before the scandal, has become outright reclusive in the two years since. He's not playing in many tournaments, he's not attending public events, and he's not giving any interviews outside of the canned, often flippant responses he makes during press conferences. Tiger seems to want to make himself as inaccessible a figure as possible, and that's bad news as it relates to an apparatus that is dependent on accessibility.

I have no idea what Steinberg is advising Tiger to do; whatever it is, it either isn't working, or Tiger isn't cooperating. I doubt that Steinberg isn't the one telling Tiger play, because he much more to lose by not playing at all (and alienating sponsors) than he is by not playing his best.

Note: This thread is 4633 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!