IGNORED

What is the real difference between Titleist Prov1 and Prov1x Balls

Dizzy
Note: This thread is 3094 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, as a high hi-handicapper (in the 20s!) Ive used a number of balls as my "experience" within the game grew.

I started with using what ever was in my bag or what ever was the cheapest at the shop. Then I tried the unspinable Bridgestone E6 and well, I could spin those like they were going out of business! :)

I then tried the Noodle balls and loved them. The feel off the face was great, that ball just felt and sounded perfect.

Then one day I found a few Pro V1's on the course and played with them BUT thought they were not much better than rocks...plus I didnt think they would do anything for my game considering my golf journey had just started. So I continued to buy Noodles off ebay and continued to love them.

Then one day (yes, another one day:) I splashed out and bought a couple dozen ProV1's off the interweb and fell in love with them almost straight away. I guess the difference between now and before was my game had actually progressed somewhat since I first tried the ball and could now manage to strike the ball much, MUCH better than what I used to do.

The difference was almost immediate! The balls start to grip and stop on the greens AND Ive even managed to get a couple to spin backwards! While Im still slicing and cutting like a pro, when I do get the shot right (which is happening more often now) the sound and feel off the face of the club is just as good as what the Noodles felt. Ive used both the ProV1 and V1x and to be honest, I cant tell the difference between either ball!

As for swing speeds...hell, mine is just as slow as the next guy yet when I connect I can get up around 260 to 280 yards off the tee! I dont have an overly fast swing (except when Im trying to be a he-man and end up slicing the hell out of the ball!:)

But anyways, do yourself a favour and get a few dozen off eBay. They can cost you next to nothing so you dont feel too aggrieved when you send more than your fair share in to water!

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just switched up from ProV1s to ProV1x because I wanted less spin on the scoring clubs due to hitting near the pin only to watch it suck back a bunch.

I found the ProV1x's to be slightly longer (maybe a couple yards) on irons and about 5-10 yds longer at times with a driver. They also seems to roll more once hitting greens with mid irons and on scoring clubs did the 1 hop and check or with a little suck back. No where near what the ProV1s were.

That being said, the ProV1xs didn't feel very soft like the ProV1s. I like them but come summer I may switch back once greens get firmer.

Both PRo V's give lots of spin if you have the swing speed. That is a problem if you don't have the shots and accuracy and hit it hard enough to spin it. YOu will find occasions where the ball will spin back 30 feet or more and off the green unless you know the greens and know how to hit three quarter shots or half shots.

A second issue with Pro V's and Pro Vx is that they react differently to chipping. When the greens are nice and holding well you will finds that a short 3 foot chip to a 6 foot pin will spin and check and come up short, so you hit it a little harder and it goes farther but checks more. So, unless you are good at using different clubs to chip and can make a ball that does that work for you, you will lose some strokes.

Another issue, if you have the swing speed is being capable of hitting past the hole and getting the ball to come back. THis will mean you will be hitting one club more sometimes and maybe that's not a route you want to take.

I use ProVs occasionally depending on the green conditions. I prefer the NXT Tour ball because it more or less checks and stops or occasion backs up a little. THis is a much easier way to get your distances right. Watch  the pro's play and pretty soon you will see some guys spinning balls way too far back from the holes, Those balls will be PRoV's.

As for the DT solo it's a good ball for players with sub 90mph swings. If your a long knocker you will lose distance with the ball on many of your clubs.

The difference for me is that the Pro V1 had way too much spin for me on long shots, the Pro V1x had a little too much spin on long shots, and the Bridgestone B-330 Rx had the least spin for long shots. They all seem to be spinning well at the green, with the Pro V1 having the most spin. For me I would just trade my friends a sleeve of mine for a sleeve of theirs until I settled with the Bridgestone.

Originally Posted by OldManBirdie

"In essence, you give up a little distance for enhanced spin. One additional thing that I will add to this discussion has to do with the ProV(1x) and side spin. Side spin makes the ball go sideways and a ProV(1x) will go sideways harder..." (MybloodinVt)

I have been playing the ProV1x for the past three years.  Purchasing the Pro V1x (X-outs) are a whole lot cheaper than $50 per dozen of the regular Pro V1's.  The side-spin on the Pro V1x is huge compared to the Pro V1.  And, it has taken me 2.75 years to discover this.

I am no longer hitting shots hard to the left or right when using the Pro V1.  My distance is about the same off the tee and with 8 iron through GW.  The back-spin is a mystery to me.  While the Pro V1 is supposed to spin more than the Pro V1x, I am finding the opposite to be true.  Chipping the ball off of a tight lie is a good way to determine how each ball behaves on the greens for me.  I use a 54/8 sandwedge to chip and the Pro V1x hits and stops faster than the Pro V1.  How is that possible?

I am a 5.1 GHIN.

I agree with you.  I have had the same results.  Maybe it's because the (hard) ionomer layer under the urethane cover is thicker on the V1, and that reduces spin on half wedges and pitch shots.

Driver:       Cobra AMP Cell - Blue

Fairway:    TM Rocketballz Stage 2  *17
Hybrids:    Callaway X2 Hot 19* and 22*
Irons:        Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
Wedges:   Cleveland 588  51*, 56*, 60*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron GoLo Customized

Ball:          Srixon Z Star (2013)

Originally Posted by OldManBirdie

Nope...The Pro V1x does have way more side spin than the Pro V1.  I carry at least a dozen of each in my bag and when playing and practicing on the golf course alone in the early evening, I do the "blind techniqe" and tee up one of the Pro V1 or Pro V1x golf balls so I can't see which one I am hitting.

In >99% of the driver hits, the Pro V1x went way left or way right while the Pro V1 went down the middle or a little left or a little right.  Chipping was another matter.  Using the same blind technique, the Pro V1x stopped faster than the Pro V1 balls.

I'm not a scientist but seeing is believing.  I will continue to use the Pro V1 golf balls and not the Pro V1x golf balls.  Why not try another ball?  Because they don't go far and straight for me...I also have 13 grandchildren who give me gift certificates to Dick's Sporting Goods for birthdays and Holidays.  I have plenty of golf balls and the gifts allow me to purchase the Pro V1's.

Thanks to all.

OldManBirdie

If that is your experience, then go with it.  By design, however, the V1x has lower long game spin than the V1, and greater (side)spin will exagerate hooks and slices.

Driver:       Cobra AMP Cell - Blue

Fairway:    TM Rocketballz Stage 2  *17
Hybrids:    Callaway X2 Hot 19* and 22*
Irons:        Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
Wedges:   Cleveland 588  51*, 56*, 60*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron GoLo Customized

Ball:          Srixon Z Star (2013)

I've played different golf balls, some of them did turn out to be ones i wont play again. Like Nike Tour's, did not like them at all. Taylormade LP Blacks were really good, Penta's were ok, i do like Pro V's. I played some really good rounds with Top Flite V2 gamer.

For me, i like a golf ball with at least 3 layers, this lets me have better feel. I like a premium golf ball because the cover is softer. Just my personal preference.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 1 year later...
I like the prov1 over the x. Best feels for putting and chipping. But so expensive. Instead. I only use these in dry summer months when greens hard as rock. Otherwise Try E6 Bridgestone Go on eBay and buy used ones for less than .60 a ball, I like switching between these two balls during the seasons.

Taylormade tour burner irons

Tour burner driver 10.5

Taylormade RBZ 3 wood 15

Ray Cook M1x putter

Ray Cook 56 wedge

Bridgestone e6 golfball

footjoy Glove

Honestly, I think the Srixon Z star XV is just as good as the Pro V or Pro V1x...   I played the x for a long time and switched to the Srixon last year.  the Z start and Z star XV are like the Pro V and Pro V1x...

Srixon XV is slightly more firm than the Pro V1x and doesn't spin as much on long shots.....  However, I feel I have more touch around the greens with that ball and I am more consistent with my chips and pitches.  The ball is very predictable around.

Best thing... you can get the Srixon Z star XV for $24 a dozen if you get last years model (at Dick's) - like the prior generation Pro V.  It's a tour ball that is originally $48ish normally...

Just on Pro V or Pro Vx - I prefer the slightly harder of the two (Pro Vx) and I get good spin but feel I have a little more feel around the greens with it and especially with the putter.

Good luck - Main thing is to play a golf ball that you can find - I'm working on one with a GPS tracker that beeps from your phone as you get closer-  I'll keep you posted

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

If you don't really compress the ball much when you swing, I don't think either of them are worth any more than a Top Flite.

This is the funniest one I've read in a while.

dude.. a Top Flite ?  dude.. seriously ?

He was asking for the different characteristics in the two Prov1 models, not another old fart rant. Haha

What's with all the Prov1 haters? besides.. half the forum has said they find them like easter eggs all the time anyway.

You have to do the same thing between both Prov1 and Prov1x models as choosing between the other balls.  Just try both.

START from the green with your putter and move backwards to the tee.  Try to get up and down greenside with different lies for a couple hours back to ~20 yards.  I like to hit little ~40-60 yard low punch draws into greens too. The performance of both models is amazing. On fast and firm greens, they are a savior.  You have to consistently spend some time with each model and try short and long flop shots and pitch and runs for a while.  the x model seems just a tad firmer.  Then keep moving backwards and try more scoring shots until you can hit Driver.  Hit sleeves at a time, not just one. I have not played the regular Prov1 in some time, I've been ball striking the x model for 10 years. Both models are very soft. ProV1 spun a bit more than x.  I'm not a power hitter so my swing speed in regards to compression actually fits to regular Prov1 but I've always played the x because I seemed to hit it a little straighter and longer off the tee.  Preference prevailed there.. I'm a feel golfer.

Look, all the big name companies make very good balls, but they are not the benchmark for balls... like Prov, its that simple.  But that being said...

Even the cheap balls that feel like you're hitting rocks have advanced technology now and are longer than people think and very durable, but this game is about scoring around the greens. That's what makes Prov1 the best for me even above the premium feel and distance... its the best scoring ball for me. Earlier models the cover seemed to scuff a bit more with regular Prov1 with wedges.  Titleist has done well to resolve that issue without hurting the soft feel, and honestly they are long.

You should buy a couple dozen and practice with them like I said above and then play one of them for a few weeks with lots of golf and then the other.  In the end you alone have to chose what ball helps you score the best and gives you the most confidence and just stick with it.  Switching balls all around is crazy to me because they behave differently.  I truly believe your Ball choice is as important as what shaft you choose for Driver.  Driver head is nothing without the right shaft that fits you.  Both of those are overlooked much too often.

• 1 year later...

Lots of good info on this thread.

But I think the most important consideration on what ball to buy and play is to play the ball you think is the best.

All of us have birdied every hole on our home course at least once.  We are not limited by our physical ability, golf is 90-95% mental.  Buy and play the ball you have confidence in.

Cost variation is $2 a ball max.  When you consider what golf costs, memberships, greens fees, cubs, shoes, etc., etc., it doesn't make sense to play a cheaper ball because it's cheaper.

We don't play golf to save money.

Like hunting, after paying for hunting license, travel costs, lodging, guides, rifles, ATV;s etc. etc., It would be foolish to buy cheap ammunition.

They've been saying that for years on their website. They also say that there is only a 4-5 yard distance differential between any of their balls.From Titleist.com:

"All Titleist golf balls are long and the distance differences between models is just 4-5 yards."

If I said, "Ball fitting for swing speed is a myth.", no doubt I'd be jumped on like a pack of jackals on a dead elephant. I'll let Titleist say it - whether it's marketing or not is for you to decide:

"Ball fitting for swing speed is a myth. A golf ball must perform for all golfers of all swing speeds on all shots, otherwise it won’t perform for any golfer. A PGA Tour player’s driver swing speed is higher than most amateurs. Yet his speed on long or mid-irons may be similar to your driver swing speed. A Titleist golf ball will perform as well on your drives as it does on the PGA player’s iron shots. The golf ball just reacts to the force at impact and Titleist golf balls perform for all swing speeds on all shots."

For more - http://www.titleist.com/golf-ball-fitting/. Before someone slams me for overlooking the spinning characteristics of a ball off driver, I didn't.

I particularly like the comparison of LPGA players to male amateurs - much more real than comparing PGA tour pros to us.

I would 2nd the underlined. I played TM Penta for a couple of years and absolutely love it, but recently I started playing ProV1 and liked it just a tad more.

FWIW, I think (completely feel based) premium balls - AKA - 4+ layered balls perform better to high smash factors - 1.47 and above. i.e., smash factor more of a deciding factor than anything else for 'ball fitting' - whatever that is.

Vishal S.

I'm fine with NXT Tour balls. But when I receive Pro V1's as a b'day or Christmas present, I don't turn them down.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

• 3 months later...

Here is what I think I know...the ProV1X spins a little more off the irons, and spins a little less off the driver,  versus a prov1,.  ProV1x is a 4 piece urethane cover ball, prov1 is a 3 piece ball.  For me...with a slower swing speed (mine is 100-103 with the driver, and I am a 2 handicap), when I miss the driver, meaning it is a little more of a "glancing" blow to the ball, a prov1x spins way more, and negatively impacts distance.  

I really like the ProV1, It spins a little less for me in all the places i want less spin, but has a very nice soft feel around the greens and plenty of spin on short shots.  

I also really like the Bridgestone B330.  It feels like it spins less through the bag...less on my driver, less on my irons, less on my wedges, but still has that softish feel of a urethane covered ball, (still feels firmer than a prov1) and responds well around the greens.

I also like the Srixon Ball...the Z star and Z star XV.  To me, those perform very similar to a ProV and V1x respectively, and are outstanding scoring balls.

Now, for the bit that I can't prove, but is my feeling...Even though the ProV1x is a great ball, I feel that when I am a little off with the driver...striking it a little off center, and a little off "square", x's, for me, are the poorest performers, because they spin so much when struck with a glancing blow (ie, like a wedge is a glancing blow).  I know everyone says they spin less off the driver, but what they mean is, they spin less off a well struck driver...they spin more with all other shots, and especially, when swing speeds in the 100 range....Not sure I am explaining it well, but for my money my ball of choice between the 2 is always the ProV1, mostly because when i hit it well, I cant tell the difference, but when I miss it a little, the v1 is just straighter and longer, for me.

And if you are inclined to try something a little different...you cant go wrong with either the srixon or the bridgestone....both make a fine ball that matches up favorably...

Edited by Dreid65

Note: This thread is 3094 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!