IGNORED

How long does it take?

wtd
Note:Β This thread is 6218 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

While allowing for the obvious "everybody develops at the own pace", how long does it (or should it) take to become a consistent (not necessarily a great) golfer?

I'm beginning my 4th full season. Two years ago I was shooting consistently in the low to mid 90s, once even carding an 85. Since the beginning of last year I've become erratic with the driver (off the heel, straight up in the air, you name the mishit and I've done it). Most of last year I shot mid to high 90s. I've seen improvements in the my short game, but I still struggle mightily with anything longer than a 5-iron (I used to hit my woods very well, but have lost the ability to sweep the ball off the fairway it seems - same flaws as with my driver). I've taken a dozen or so lessons and have corrected some pretty serious flaws along the way, but I'm still terribly inconsistent. Yesterday for example I went to the range and didn't hit ANYTHING well. My best shot was about 110 yard six iron (fat and off the heel). Usually I hit my 6 about 175. Quite honestly it was worse than the first time I ever went to a range.

How long did it take you to get consistent? Did you steadily improve, or have you had experiences like mine where your game basically flatlines? Any tips for pushing through the garbage days?

My Website: Qwowi Golf

In my Atlas Bag:
Driver: R7 SuperQuad 9.5Β° VS Proto 65-S
3+ Wood: G10 4 Wood: G10 Hybrid: 585H VS Proto 80-SIrons: X-20 Tour 5-PWGap Wedge: Vokey 200 Series 52Β°Sand Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 56Β°Lob Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 60Β°Putter: Bettinardi BC1

It takes as long as it takes. I began playing when I was 12 years old and was off scratch by the time I was 16, but I had a lesson every couple of weeks, hit balls almost daily and played 3 or 4 times a week during that time. One thing that is a pretty common thread when you look at good players is a lot of them started to play at a pretty young age.

I have a few theories on this, number one is that when you are 14 years old and an instructor tells you to do something, you do it. As you get older you question what they have told you and overanalyse the information given and discard part or all of it in favour of what you think you know. My second theory is that when you are young you have a LOT more time to devote to golf. There is no way known these days that with a family and a business that I could hit balls daily and fit in 4 rounds a week.

So my recommendation to you is to stick with the lessons, spend double on lessons what you do on equipment and more importantly COMMIT to the lessons 100% and practice any drills given as often as you can. Have a good discussion with your teaching pro about your goals and what you want to achieve, and be realistic about it too. Talk with your instructor about a long term plan, and have him set out a practice schedule that he would like yo to attain. Remember that he may tell you to do something that causes you to play worse, maybe even a LOT worse in the short term but what he has told you to work on is just a part of the long term plan. I'd be very much surprised if after a lesson while working on the drills provided that you immediately begin to hit the ball better. What will more likely happen is you will hit the ball worse while you are working on the drills but those drills will be important to have been completed in preparation for a later lesson.

Golf is just one of those things where you take one step back and then two steps forward, but you have to go through all of the steps to reach your final goal.

I'm in my 2nd year, and I'm still not great, I guess it'll just come through time, and lessons.
In My Bag:
Driver: Cobra F Speed 10.5Β°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
3 Wood: Cobra F Speed 15Β°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
Irons: Cobra 2300 I/M 3-PW
Wedge: Cobra M 54Β°Putter: Yes! SophiaBall: TaylorMade TP Red

I'm in my 2nd year, and I'm still not great, I guess it'll just come through time, and lessons.

I figure I'm in my second year now too, and it's coming too. Time and lessons, and some working out has helped with my drives.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Everybody develops at their own pace.

Oh, wait. Sorry!

Here's the hard part...I play with a guy who's played his entire adult life, he's now in his late 40's, and he's a 19. He's always going to be a 19, and it's never going to change. I've also played with players who went from beginners to 5's in just a few years. Or, even worse, like chingali going to scratch in four years!

It depends on your native ability as an athlete. Even if my dad had given me a club at age 3, I'm never going to be a Tiger. I just ain't got it, never had it, never will, and as Clint Eastwood said: "A man's gotta know his limitations.".

It depends on the skill level of your qualified PGA Professional. Believe me, I consider myself sort of a "professional student", and I've taken lessons from scratch players who didn't have a clue what they were doing with a student on the practice tee. A qualified teacher will work with you to determine what kind of a "learner" you are...do you want him to explain how it works, or do you want him to show/demonstrate how it works, or do you want him to move your body into the correct position so you can feel how it works, or some combination of all of the above. Everybody is "right brain" or "left brain" to some degree, and it affects how you process things while you learn. You and your teacher need to talk about your goals, and about what you want to do with each lesson.

I depends on the quality of your practice. I'm sure you're heard the phrase "beating balls" on the range. Mindlessly scraping one more out of the pile and making exactly the same swing you made on the previous 49 swings will accomplish nothing. You've got to think about what you're there to practice today, think about the last swing, think about the next swing, and make the next swing with that in mind.

It depends on how often you practice, and on how often you play. Playing once each weekend with your buds and practicing once during the week will certainly help you progress, but not as steadily as if you played once more during the week, even just 9 after work one evening, and practiced more than once.

It depends on whether or not you understand the incredible importance of the short game, and the critical need to practice the short game. Believe it and you'll be a single digit. Don't believe it and you'll be pissed off after every round. "Nuff said.

Finally, it depends on what's in your head as you begin each swing. The "game" of golf really only lasts a few minutes. It starts when you put the club back in the bag after the shot you just made, it continues while thoughts go through your head while you go to your ball, and it ends when you start your next takeaway. If you control your thoughts, you'll play very well.

If you hit a 6-iron 175, and you were shooting occasional upper '80's in your second year, with an 85 in there, dude, you've got potential. Seriously.

There's tons of the Bob Rotella "Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect" type of books out there, but one that I just read is really, really different, and I highly recommend it:

"Every Shot Must Have A Purpose", by Pia Nillson and Lynn Marriott. Pia is Annika's former coach. The book isn't just about the mental side, it gets into how to practice as well. It's a great read, and I thought it has much more practical application then most other "head" books I've read.

Remember, it's all about the journey!
Clay

I am in my second season. Although I'm nowhere close to consistent, I see some consistent improvement . My handicap has been going down 1 shot a month, on average, since I started.

Time is the scarce resource for me. All the tools are in front of me to progress: lessons, books, equipment. So I try to get the most out of my practice time. On the driving range, I almost always take 15 minutes on the self-service video. It's 5 bucks, but definitely worth it. My pro showed me what to look for, and I can always spot 1 problem creeping in my swing. I can take corrective actions before it's too late.

Last, I'll take satisfaction when I manage to implement in my swing what I have in mind, regardless of the result. As my first teacher said, focus on good fundamentals, and good results will come with time.

In the bag:

Hi Bore XL 10.5 deg
SZ fairway woods, 3 & 5
baffler 23 deg MX-25 4-P vokey 52 & 56 scotty cameron studio design 2Read my golf blog

Fisherdude has it about right. I know a guy at my home course who took up the game two years ago and started breaking 80 at the end of his second year. (in his early 30's). He is the exception, talented and pretty obsessed. I feel that 3-5 years if you take some lessons and both practice and play weekly most people can shoot in the mid to upper 80s consistently. Since you have some talent 5 years to get your handicap to single digits maybe 7 or 8. In general the older you are the harder it is to get out of your own way. Younger people tend to do a better job of learning physical skills and then just executing without thinking. I feel the maturity of being older offsets this somewhat, better course management, more emphasis on short game and shotmaking.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I think this is a great question with really good responses.

Golf is difficult, no question about it. As with anything difficult, you get out what you put into it. It looks easy, a lil white ball that doesn't move, swing a club...right? Wrong!

Let's take bowling for example. Seems easy, roll a ball down a lane and get all the pins down. Watching it on TV is like a joke because it seems so easy. Seriously though, how often will a beginner, or even an amateur, break 150 on a consistent basis? To have a consistent bowling stroke or golf swing, you need solid fundamentals and a good understand of what's going on. However, the sun shines on a dog's a$$ every once in a while and shooting an 85 or bowling a 200 can and will happen. But inconsistently. (for the record, I am a terrible bowler ).

Feel free to PM if you wish, and I can try to help steer you in obtaining a proper swing. However there will a cost if you decide to go this route, because Chingali's post stating "Golf is just one of those things where you take one step back and then two steps forward, but you have to go through all of the steps to reach your final goal" is very true. Either you'll have to commit 110% to obtaining a sound swing or stick with what you've got and work very hard on your short game.

To answer your questions:
How long did it take you to get consistent? After rebuilding my swing, it took about a year (read: 1 New England season) to get comfortable and consistent.

Did you steadily improve, or have you had experiences like mine where your game basically flatlines?? Prior to my swing rebuild, I played for 10 years with a sloppy made up swing. I certainly plateaued, and was the reason for the rebuild. With the new swing, it's infinitely easier to tweak your swing here and there and I like to think I improve everyday with practice.

Any tips for pushing through the garbage days? You clearly care about your game, otherwise prolly wouldn't have asked this question. The easy answer is to have another beer. The proper answer would be to leave your driver in the bag. Tee off on mediocre par 4s with a 5 iron (one you are confident with) to keep the ball in the fairway. As a matter of fact, don't tee off with anything larger than your 5-wood for the rest of the round.

Good luck!

Some times it's just the clubs, they may be the best but not for you.

So...how can you really tell? As I've mentioned, this will be my 3rd season and I consistently score in the low 90's. I started with the PING irons and dirver/fw because that's what someone suggested. I've just learned a difficult and expensive lesson though, as I just bought the Cleveland Hibore XL, and though I hit it in the shop and at the range, once I got it out on the course, couldn't hit it to save my life. So the G2 is officially back in my bag. Now I am considering buying new irons or actually a hybrid/iron set, but how do I really know it will help? And then there's the question of what I really need, since most of my wasted strokes are on putts. (I propbably 3 putt 10 holes on average

) I've committed myself, go to the DR at least once a week, and when weather permits I play at least 3x per week and have certainly seen some improvement. I have not taken lessons yet, as I felt like I needed to get a good understanding and feel of the game before I could comprehend what someones was trying to teach me.

driver:G2 graphite reg flex
FW:HiBore 3w, G2 7w
Irons:: x20, 4-pw steel shaft uniflex
wedges: SW and GW, steel reg
Putter: G5 Craz-eBalls:Callaway HX Hot

So...how can you really tell? As I've mentioned, this will be my 3rd season and I consistently score in the low 90's. I started with the PING irons and dirver/fw because that's what someone suggested. I've just learned a difficult and expensive lesson though, as I just bought the Cleveland Hibore XL, and though I hit it in the shop and at the range, once I got it out on the course, couldn't hit it to save my life. So the G2 is officially back in my bag. Now I am considering buying new irons or actually a hybrid/iron set, but how do I really know it will help? And then there's the question of what I really need, since most of my wasted strokes are on putts. (I propbably 3 putt 10 holes on average

If you really want to improve, take some private or semi-private lessons before you buy any more gear. Time at the range won't help if all you are doing is practicing bad swing habits. See a pro, and make sure he starts you out with proper grip and stance and ball setup. More problems can be fixed right there than anywhere else. Harvey Penick said that he'd never try to teach a good swing to a player with a bad grip. If you don't have a good connection to the club, you will never have a dependable swing.

The other thing that a good pro will focus on is pitching, chipping and putting. If you score in the 90's now, then learning how to get up and down from anywhere near the green will get you to the 80's, almost guaranteed. Once again calling on Harvey Penick, he always taught a new student from the hole outward. The last club he would let them use was the driver. By the time they got to that point, the swing was fairly well learned, and that made learning the most difficult club in the bag less traumatic.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

The other thing that a good pro will focus on is pitching, chipping and putting. If you score in the 90's now, then learning how to get up and down from anywhere near the green will get you to the 80's, almost guaranteed. Once again calling on Harvey Penick, he always taught a new student from the hole outward. The last club he would let them use was the driver. By the time they got to that point, the swing was fairly well learned, and that made learning the most difficult club in the bag less traumatic.[/QUOTE]

Rick,
Thanks for the advice, I agree that if I could putt, I most certainly would be in the 80's. Getting there isn't the problem (I bought the new driver strictly on impulse, my G2 is long and generally accurate w/a slight fade), and when my swing is off and I get advice on my swing from fellow golfers I can understand what they are trying to tell me, because I understand the swing.
So..I guess I'm off to a pro for the short game, but my brain still can't get the concept of the "pendulum" putt stroke. My fear is how will I benefit from a pro if I can't "feel" it, or at the very least understand it so that I can visualize it and put it into action???

So..I guess I'm off to a pro for the short game, but my brain still can't get the concept of the "pendulum" putt stroke. My fear is how will I benefit from a pro if I can't "feel" it, or at the very least understand it so that I can visualize it and put it into action???

Forget the idea of a pendulum putt stroke unless your pro tells you to know it. Explain to your pro that you don't get that idea; he'll take that into consideration when deciding how to teach you to putt.

Watch a pro event (your choice of tour) and notice the putting. I've seen very few pros putt the same way. See if you can find a video of Tiger putting, or of Fred Funk at Turtle Bay putting... or whoever your favorite 3 pros are. Notice the differences (but don't try to emulate immediately - ask your pro) so you aren't concerned with the "right" putt.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

You may find out after a couple of lessons that your stroke was what was holding you back. Or you might find that the putter you are using isn't right for you, or for the type of greens you play. Putting is definitely the most individualized facet of most people's games, and matching a putter to a putting stroke and conditions can be a challenge. If you are still uncomfortable after a lesson or 2, I'd visit a well stocked golf shop and try every putter in the place. Set aside the ones that feel the best, and go back a try each of them again. Then go home and sleep on it. Return in a day or 2 and try those good ones again. I'd be surprised if one of them doesn't jump out and say "I'm the ONE".

Just hope that it isn't a $300 Scotty that whispers sweet nothings in your ear...

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

If your in the low 90's with at least 10 three putts,getting them down in two putts your looking at the low 80's. Why are you three putting? can't read the greens, off line, hitting too hard/light? What kind of putter are you using? How long are the putts starting at that your three putting? the more info we get maybe we can help.

R7Β 9.5Β S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

If your in the low 90's with at least 10 three putts,getting them down in two putts your looking at the low 80's. Why are you three putting? can't read the greens, off line, hitting too hard/light? What kind of putter are you using? How long are the putts starting at that your three putting? the more info we get maybe we can help.

UGH.....here goes the ugly truth. The distance doesn't seem to matter..I can be utting from 3' or 20'. It usually goes like this..putt#1 goes right and long past the hole, putt#2 is usually short (because now I'm scared to put it past again) then thank god! I'm usually in in 3. My putter is the odyssey white hot xg7, which is fairly new. I used to have the Ping My Day, but I thought I migh benefit from more of a mallet putter...to no avail.

It seems as though every time I take a back swing I ground my putter, then it opens up as I swing through..I honestly think I make every putting mistake out there.

... and when my swing is off and I get advice on my swing from fellow golfers...

If you are getting/taking advice from fellow golfers and still shooting in the low 90's... now that is impressive!

Find someone to play some putting games with a couple of times a week and you will see improvements quickly... but be very careful about taking random swing advice.

It may go without saying that being consistent with your game is the hardest thing in golf. For starters, I believe it's a good mix between practicing your ass off and knowing how to properly practice and build a good swing. You need both, doing only one or the other will do nothing for your game. For me? It took about 2.5-3 years (However, I only played in the summer) until I got fairly consistent but that was going out for 3-4 hours, 5 days a week during the summer.

Summary: Find a source of good advice, use it, and practice like there's no tomorrow!

Note:Β This thread is 6218 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!