IGNORED

Tiger and Phils Personal Relationship.

JackTheSmuggler
Note: This thread is 6196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger and Phil have always seemed "frosty" toward each other..There have been statements here and there and they always seem professional around each other but I think they both could do without each other. I dont think either would lose any sleep if the other didnt show up at the Masters dinner. I heard that Tiger secretly thinks Phil is a phony but hey...Who doesnt think that already.

Your thoughts.

Tiger and Phil have always seemed "frosty" toward each other..There have been statements here and there and they always seem professional around each other but I think they both could do without each other. I dont think either would lose any sleep if the other didnt show up at the Masters dinner. I heard that Tiger secretly thinks Phil is a phony but hey...Who doesnt think that already.

Well Phil may well be phoney but lets face it Tiger is a freak. Deep down I think they probably admire the qualities of the other.

I don't mean to do down the greatest athlete in the world (ever?) but he has been groomed for the position he is in now and that surely must be at the expense of all the cool things we do when we are growing up. I would love to have the game that Tiger has but would be unable to cope with a life without a lot of the growing up experiences that Tiger will have missed. Still think the tiger will kick ass this weekend though, them 2 bogies last night will ensure he gets it round in 68 max tonight.

I don't get the sense that they are great buds, I think they do have a certain amount of respect for each other and can co-exist in team events. It seems like they do have a pretty good rivalry going on, I'm sure you won't hear it from either of them but when the other performs poorly I'm sure they take notice.

Like for example last year's US Open, if you don't think Phil would have LOVED to win after Tiger missed the cut you're crazy. I can just see Tiger sitting on his couch watching the US Open on his 100 inch plasma screen sitting next to his hot a$$ wife just having a ball watching the Mickelson train wreck unfold before his eyes.

We'll never really know how they feel toward each other because Tiger is so careful not to say the wrong things in interviews and Phil would never want to piss a guy like Tiger off (see Vijay Singh vs. Tiger).
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

Phil was not happy when Tiger came onto the tour and stole all his thunder. He said as much in early press conferences. Phil was clearly irratated that this kid was getting all the attention and every question had reference to Tiger regardless of whom it was asked to. Phils attitude was "hey, what about me, I've won out here". What he didn't recognize was that Tiger was going to treel off multiple majors and win one out of every three tournies he entered. Phil was contenet with a Ford endorsement.

The 2 of them have said in the past that the media has way overblown the "frosty-ness" of their relationship. They are not tight but then again, they are not at each others throats.

Phil comes across as so much more genuine than Tiger does any day. I would want my kid to realize that golf is fun first and foremost and a guy who can walk around with a smile on his face beats a petulant pouter any day.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

The 2 of them have said in the past that the media has way overblown the "frosty-ness" of their relationship. They are not tight but then again, they are not at each others throats.

...probably the reason there are so few in golf to give the petulant pouter a run for his titles...

...probably the reason there are so few in golf to give the petulant pouter a run for his titles...

I hardly doubt that the smiling or the pouting has anything to do with golfing ability.

In my bag:
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

Tiger and Nike...just a combination that doesn't roll with me, I seem to have a grudge against it for some reason.

Not sure why, but it's a serious turn-off...
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I hardly doubt that the smiling or the pouting has anything to do with golfing ability.

The context of your post was with regards to Tigers petulance and pouting, not mine. You also state that “golf is fun first and foremost”. Which is why I assert that few if any can compete with Tiger. Tiger does not play tournaments for fun, he plays to win. I do think most players including Phil are hoping they win, and if they do great. Instead of walking around with a goofy grin, Tiger is the essence of concentration, something Phil would do well to acquire. Are you suggesting that Tigers on-course etiquette is somehow boorish or ill mannered? I would assert that Tigers demeanor is one a notch below the revered Ben Hogan. Ben does not seem to garner the criticism that you suggest Tiger deserves. I see Tiger as role model for anyone. His tenacity, generosity, and social consciousness are much to admire. Phil has a lot to learn from Tiger.

• Administrator
I would love to have the game that Tiger has but would be unable to cope with a life without a lot of the growing up experiences that Tiger will have missed.

By all accounts, Tiger had a fairly normal childhood. He played baseball, banged up his knee biking or skateboarding or something, etc.

I don't see him pouting, but the lack of smiling is because he's competing. I'm sure he has plenty of fun - he'd do something else if it wasn't fun. He just doesn't show it by laughing at the two bogeys he just made like Phil would.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The context of your post was with regards to Tigers petulance and pouting, not mine. You also state that

Exactly - I made a point about Tiger's pouting and you brought up the ability to win tournaments. I am sure if the game ceased to be fun for Tiger, he would get out. He certainly has the financial wherewithall and I don't think he ever looks at it as a job. I never questioned Tiger's concentration etc. I merely stated that he is petulant (ask Peter Kostis). He has proven to be that as recent as not wanting to talk to reporters post Bay Hill. He has slammed clubs and dropped the f-bomb on a number of occassions so yes, he can be boorish on the course. Is he all the time, no.

I will take Phil's attitude any day of the week. A guy who can smile through adversity and then steps up and takes his lumps is admirable. And if you think Phil doesn't have tenacity, guess again. If you think he is not generous, then you need to do some more reading. Too many reporters have written that 'Team Tiger' is too private, too secure and not genuine. I beg anyone to say that of Phil. Tiger could also learn a lot from Phil. BTW, I love watching both guys play. I love golf and this is what it is all about.
In my bag:

I will take Phil's attitude any day of the week

...I guess thats why there is such a contrast between the two. One has a happy go lucky attitude while the other is all buisness. I've seen Phils petulance first hand, believe me, he had it long before Tiger. I've never seen or heard anything from Tiger that desparaged Phil. I would think their relation ship is only professional, I don't see them swapping stories of imploding on the golf course over beers on the 19th hole....heh....

I think you're right on. Seems Phil still wants the #1 position and maybe resents Tiger a little. I think Phil worked really hard in the off season to get in shape. He does look better than end of last season. Perhaps muscle is getting in the way a little. I do enjoy watching all the pro'. So much is learned about course management by watching others.

My opinon is that I don't think that they don't like eachother but I think Phil has some jelousy because he was the boy wonder out of college and couldn't close the deal until many years later. I think Tiger felt that resentment when he was coming up winning all those tournaments.

In My Bag:

Driver: Nike SQ tour 10.5° (Aldila NV 65S)
FW Woods: 4+ Cobra SZ, Stiff, 5 wood: Orlimar HipSteel 16°, Callaway X 21°, Stiff
Irons: Titleist DCI 822OS Nppon NS Pro950Wedges: Cleveland 900 54°/CG 10 60°Putter: Rife 2 bar offset blade putterBall: Callaway HX Tour primary but...

If your looking for them to give each other a hug when they see each other forget it. and how many personal relationship do you think either of them have with all the players on tour? Do you have personal relationships with everyone on your own golf league?

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Tiger and Nike...just a combination that doesn't roll with me, I seem to have a grudge against it for some reason.

I agree. Never owned any Nike equipment never will.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

I agree. Never owned any Nike equipment never will.

Why? I think Nike is starting to come into their own more and more each year. Tiger + Nike = $100 Million over five years, thats why. And rest assured his clubs are not off the rack Nikes.

In My Bag:

Driver: Nike SQ tour 10.5° (Aldila NV 65S)
FW Woods: 4+ Cobra SZ, Stiff, 5 wood: Orlimar HipSteel 16°, Callaway X 21°, Stiff
Irons: Titleist DCI 822OS Nppon NS Pro950Wedges: Cleveland 900 54°/CG 10 60°Putter: Rife 2 bar offset blade putterBall: Callaway HX Tour primary but...

I don't understand why people really care about their relationship. Do I think they like each other? No. Do they hate each other? No, but I'd lean towards that side before I pretend that they like each other. To be honest I'd be annoyed if they did like each other. Rivals aren't supposed to like each other. Do the Red Sox like the Yankees? Tarheels like the Blue Devils? I'd prefer if they came out and said they didn't like each other... but this is a gentleman's game so I understand the soft spin they give it. I think Phil respects Tiger's game but resents him a bit. Do I think Tiger respects Phil? I don't know, maybe not. I'm not sure Tiger truly respects anyone because I think he believes he truly is in a different league (not that it is unjustified). Yeah he's the most talented golfer ever and he is amazing at saying all the right things but he can be a brat when things aren't going his way. Notice how he was quick to point out how amazing Zach Johnson played but talked about how poorly he played. That's standard for Tiger.

Hey, what did Vijay say about Tiger that pissed him off?

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

Note: This thread is 6196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!