IGNORED

FedExCup = A Waste of 10 Million Dollars

AmazingWhacker
Note: This thread is 4592 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Could the fed ex cup be any more boring?  The scoring system is convoluted, nobody understands it and nobody is watching.  By "nobody", I mean average golf viewers - us golf geeks will watch anything.  Case in point - here we are about to start week 2 of the playoffs and the only golf-related news item I see on msnbc sports is that Rocco Mediate is disgusted by Tiger's game.  If I were Fed Ex, I would seriously re-think giving away 10 million smackers to some golfer who may or may not have even had a great season.  The only more worthless prize is the Kodak one - but at least that's only a million.  The "Race for the Fedex Cup" makes no sense to me.  They should call it "The Fed Ex Cup - where one player seemingly randomly gets prize money equivalent to 10 wins . .although he probably only won once this season"  That probably doesn't fit very well on T-Shirts, though.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

Could the fed ex cup be any more boring?  The scoring system is convoluted, nobody understands it and nobody is watching.  By "nobody", I mean average golf viewers - us golf geeks will watch anything.  Case in point - here we are about to start week 2 of the playoffs and the only golf-related news item I see on msnbc sports is that Rocco Mediate is disgusted by Tiger's game.  If I were Fed Ex, I would seriously re-think giving away 10 million smackers to some golfer who may or may not have even had a great season.  The only more worthless prize is the Kodak one - but at least that's only a million.  The "Race for the Fedex Cup" makes no sense to me.  They should call it "The Fed Ex Cup - where one player seemingly randomly gets prize money equivalent to 10 wins . .although he probably only won once this season"  That probably doesn't fit very well on T-Shirts, though.

It could be a lot more boring.

It's been compelling golf for a long time, and it's gotten better.

I disagree wholeheartedly with what you've said. Do you forget that the PGA Tour become a "name player ghost town" after the PGA in years past? They couldn't even get Phil to show up for the Tour Championship for a number of years.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The exposure FedEx gets year round from this is almost certainly a good thing for them.

I am sure that it is a smart investment for them.

That being said, I really couldn't care less who wins it. I'm not going to feel great for a golfer who wins 10 million as Furyk did last year. I don't recognise the Fed Ex winner as being anything other than a fantastic payday for the players. I doubt that they they see it differently.

But for FedEX, it's almost certainly a winner.

The interesting thing for me at the end of the season is watching the guys around the 125 mark battle it out in the Fall Series.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

The Fed Ex Cup isn't perfect, but it has generated more interest in post PGA Championship professional golf. For years prior to the Fed Ex Cup, we wouldn't see any of the top golfers on the PGA tour until Hawaii (except maybe Vijay). We wouldn't see Phil until Arizona and Tiger until the WGC.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Originally Posted by Shorty

The interesting thing for me at the end of the season is watching the guys around the 125 mark battle it out in the Fall Series.

x2.  I love seeing the guys on the bubble turn up their games to make it in!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Originally Posted by TN94z

x2.  I love seeing the guys on the bubble turn up their games to make it in!

Me, too.  Love the fall series.  Tiger's decision to play in the Frys.Com Open is a bigger news story than the playoffs.  By a factor of about 10.

Perhaps if they narrowed the field down some and made it feel more like a "real playoff" interest in the FedEx cup would grow. It does honestly seem like too broad of a field, but then again, what the hell do I know?

The War Sticks:

Driver: Adams Speedline F11 9.5* w/ Aldila Voodoo stiff flex shaft

3Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15*

Hybrid: Ping G10 22* 

Irons:Mizuno MP32's 3-PW (bought used for $189)

Wedges: Cleveland CG14 52*, 56*

Putter: An old Ram Laser...lol...but it works

Ball: Srixon Q-star

Quote:

I think the FedEX cup is a great thing for us weeeknd "watching" golf fans.  I don't find it anymore boring that the other PGA Tour events throughout the year (excluding the majors).

We have 4 weekends after the PGA Championship of watching the best players of the year duke it out late August to mid Septermber.  Isn't that a good thing?  In the past, golf was dead after the PGA.

What's the point of being negative about this?  If you think it's boring or not compelling enough for you, watch something else??  I don't get it....

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

It's not quite the Wendy's 3 tour challenge but I see your point and agree to some extent. I couldn't tell you who is even in the top 10. Save the playoffs for football and just play them as tournaments. Besides, Rory and company are playing across the pond. I think I watched more of that than the "play-offs".

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Totally disagree with AmazingWhacker -

I think this concept has taken what was the golf silly season and added 4 compelling events, and  something which is good now and getting better every year.

And frankly it takes a 10 mil prize to get these guys interested enough to play in these events; I'm pretty sure if it was 500K they'd all stay home.

every monday morning I am greeted at work with a co-worker who critiques the tournament by viewership.....not great shots.....not meltdowns....not play-offs with great play.......viewership. FML. I immediately strike up.....what a 6 iron...how about that putt on 17.......but to no avail. Its always about viewership and the tour is broken without Tiger.

1. If you are concerned about viewership and ratings......you my friend are not a core fan.

2. I "watched" & played before Eldrick and will watch & play after he is gone. (hope he gets his game back....if not.....thanks for building the TIGER army of young kids because they are fun to watch)

3. Stop wanting golf to be mainstream entertainment . Nothing wrong with only "players" watching the best duel on the biggest stages. (consider it free lessons that you can apply to your own game)

Sorry for the rant......but I have to spend 20 minutes a week listening to this un-interesting dribble from a 30 handicap.....

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Royal

every monday morning I am greeted at work with a co-worker who critiques the tournament by viewership.....not great shots.....not meltdowns....not play-offs with great play.......viewership. FML. I immediately strike up.....what a 6 iron...how about that putt on 17.......but to no avail. Its always about viewership and the tour is broken without Tiger.

1. If you are concerned about viewership and ratings......you my friend are not a core fan.

2. I "watched" & played before Eldrick and will watch & play after he is gone. (hope he gets his game back....if not.....thanks for building the TIGER army of young kids because they are fun to watch)

3. Stop wanting golf to be mainstream entertainment. Nothing wrong with only "players" watching the best duel on the biggest stages. (consider it free lessons that you can apply to your own game)

Sorry for the rant......but I have to spend 20 minutes a week listening to this un-interesting dribble from a 30 handicap.....

What does his 30 handicap have to do with it? Is he less qualified to voice his opinion than you because you have a better handicap?

Viewership IS important. The Tour doesn't need to worry about the core because they will always be there.  They need to worry about the casual fan. And there is something wrong with only "players"(whatever that is) watching. The casual fans are needed to keep healthy tv coverage.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by shades9323

What does his 30 handicap have to do with it? Is he less qualified to voice his opinion than you because you have a better handicap?

Viewership IS important. The Tour doesn't need to worry about the core because they will always be there.  They need to worry about the casual fan. And there is something wrong with only "players"(whatever that is) watching. The casual fans are needed to keep healthy tv coverage.

1. His handicap has nothing to do with it.....it was a rant.

2. Obviously viewership numbers are fine......considering the new contract. It is not always about numbers, but who in the demigraphic is watching. Face it golfers have more expendable income than other TV viewing sports.

3. "players" (whatever this is)......obviously you have never worked in the industry or at a golf course......"players" refers to those people who play three to five times a week without fail. Every golf course I have ever worked at has at least 200-500 of these "players" in all shapes and sizes and abilities.......

4. "the casual fans are needed to keep healthy tv coverage" not true......Nationwide Tour coverage is getting better every year with out casual fans

my point is..... I am tired of talking about the "business" of golf instead of talking about the golf being played......

Everyone has their own opinion.. The only confusing part about the playoffs that I can see is the points system. Sure, I can look at a run-down of who gets X amount of points for their finish .. but when the casual golf watcher sees that the difference between 1st place and 5th place is 1,842 points it gets a little ridiculous.

This reminds me of the point system that NASCAR had in place until just recently. The points were reduced (even though they still represent a roughly proportional amount to the previously inflated numbers) and now people feel like there is a bit more excitement in the chase for the cup.

In sports like Golf and NASCAR, you really have to attempt to appeal to people that would otherwise have no interest in watching. These industries understand that their product will appeal more to the golfers and the racing enthusiasts out there, but they certainly can not become the type of businessmen that would suggest to a casual fan, "If you think it's boring or not compelling enough for you, watch something else??"

-- (Thanks for indulging my NASCAR comparison... )

taylormade.gif R9 460 9.5* Stiff
cobra.gif Baffler 2h
 JPX 800 Pro 4-PW  *New! eBay gamble paid off!*
cleveland.gif CG14 52* /  MP T-10 56* /  callaway.gif Vintage Tour X Wedge 60*

taylormade.gif Spider Ghost /  Z Star Yellow

There's a reason Superbowl television ads cost $3.5 million per 30 second commercial and only $250,000 - $300,000 during a golf Major, it's viewership.  Yes, on average, golf viewers have favorable demographics but you still need numbers to sell commercials and get sponsorships for tournaments.   Unfortunately golf is a business, and to ignore the business aspect would potentially result in; a reduction in value for television contracts, less tournaments, less players, less courses, less manufacturers of golf related products and higher prices for those that play it.

Originally Posted by Royal

2. Obviously viewership numbers are fine......considering the new contract. It is not always about numbers, but who in the demigraphic is watching. Face it golfers have more expendable income than other TV viewing sports.

4. "the casual fans are needed to keep healthy tv coverage" not true......Nationwide Tour coverage is getting better every year with out casual fans

my point is..... I am tired of talking about the "business" of golf instead of talking about the golf being played......

Joe Paradiso

It is 10 Million dollar annuity first of all and personally I believe a lot of people watch it because of the high $$$ associated with it. I personally like it because any tour player realistically has a chance and I am confident it will come down to the back nine Sunday in the last tournament to determine the winner. Because of that I think it the best "playoff" like series for the PGA tour.

Originally Posted by sbanks06

It is 10 Million dollar annuity first of all...

That used to be true, but the structure of the $10M payout changed in 2008. Since then, the top 10 finishers now receive the bulk of their FedEx Cup bonuses in cash up front. For example, the 2008 FedEx Cup champion (Vijay Singh) received $9 million up front and $1 million in his tax-deferred retirement account.

Bill

Note: This thread is 4592 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!