IGNORED

First Eagle! Tell your first Eagle story!

Spyder
Note: This thread is 3479 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The only eagle I ever participated in was on a par5 in an alternate shot scramble during a group golf lesson.  The first guy hit a bad drive.  The second guy absolutely crushed a fairway wood - but it landed about 20 yards to the right of the green in thick brush.  The third shot was mine.

When I got to the the ball it was definitely in the brush with trees above - there was a reasonable sized opening though between the brush growing up and the trees hanging down.  The lie was mulchy and most of the ball was exposed.  I had no expectation of anything except getting it out of the brush and, sure enough, it lands a foot from the hole and rolls in.  Everybody went nuts.  It was cool.  Total luck.   Couldn't make that shot again in a million tries.

My first eagle was a few years ago. It was on a drivable, split fairway par four. The hole is downhill and has a large tree in the middle. I got ahold of a three wood pretty good and it carried and rolled down the hill and settled 15-20 yards in front of the green. I had a simple, uphill chip and put a sand wedge up and in for an easy eagle.

Riley

I've told it before (maybe in another thread) but I made an eagle on the 4th hole the first time I played golf. Popped up my tee shot and hit a fairway wood in the hole for my second shot. My son was watching and said he thought it went in the hole (and I thought yeah right) when I got up to the green and couldn't find it I wandered over to the hole and there it was. Didn't really mean much because I didn't even know it was an eagle or what an eagle was until my son told me as we were going to the next hole. Even then I just figured it was fairly normal and I was still more pissed about popping up my tee shot than happy about the second shot going in the hole. Funny thing is that is still the longest shot I ever holed out.

Made mine a couple months ago at the Bottineau Country Club in North Dakota.  Hole #7, short par 4.  Flat, straight fairway over a creek.  Drive went straight at the flag and landed 30 yards short of the green.  Pitched onto the front of the green and the ball rolled several feet and dropped in the cup.  Pretty boring really but nice to do anyway.

Bit of a long story but I'll forever be proud of this. Par 5 9th hole. Happened Toward the end of the day, my pal and I were the last two on the course. I'd only been playing for a little over a year at this point and my best scores were prob high 90s. I drove the ball beautifully in the fairway, a huge rarity even to this day, and had about 210 to the green. My buddy makes his second swing and on come the fairway sprinklers. They're about 50 yds from the green and behind two fwy bunkers. one left side, one right. I couldn't even see the green or the pin so I aimed right at the pro shop door and let it rip. We drove the cart down to the green to find my ball 2 inches from the hole for a tap in eagle. The course owner, who I became friends with that day, and his sister were sitting on a patio right behind the 9th green and saw it all. He said had I made it my name would have been in the paper haha! Haven't eagled since and I know I haven't hit a 6iron that far since either.
Titleist 910D2 Titleist 910F 19* Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW Top Flite Tour Wedge 56* Cleveland Smart Square Putter

My first eagle was at Winding Creek Golf Course on the gold nine. #5 to be exact. It was a 350 yard par 4 and I hit a good drive so I was 80 out. Took my 56˚ and hit it to the front of the green. It took a few bounces and rolled right in. It was a great moment. I think I was 17 when this happened and was playing with my HS team.

My first, and I *think* but can't remember for sure, my only eagle to date was like 2 years ago.  Conklin Players Club, which is the course I play the most (if you're ever in NY right around the PA border this course is worth playing, as beautiful a course and as perfect condition as you will ever find in a public course.

Anyway, #9 is a downhill Par 5, dogleg to the left.  I don't remember what I hit off the tee, maybe a 3 wood, but I thought I was in the bunkers guarding the dogleg left.  Ideally you want to be right at the top of the hill (which is about 200 yards off the tee).  So I get to my ball and it's not in the bunker but on the slope behind it that leads into the bunker, how in the world my ball didn't trickle into the bunker is beyond me, but either way I had a good 200 yards left, ball must have been a foot and a half below my feet, it was a bad situation.  I pulled the longest iron I have in my bag which was a 5 iron hoping I could just make clean contact.  Boy did I, lol.  Ball got right up in the air, soaring towards the left side of the green and my brother in law was like "How the f* did you do that?".  Well the ball landed on the fringe on the left side of the green.  Pin was cut in the middle of the green.  About 3-4 ft of right break downhill (the green slopes down from back to front).  Just hit a perfect putt that went in the center of the hole.  Couldn't believe it.  It was one of the best rounds I have ever played because I also birdied the Par 3 7th that day.  Usually I am lucky to record one birdie in a round.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

I got my first and second eagles in a three hole stretch.  First one was a 503 yard par 5, Driver, 3 wood on the front of the green and roll in about an 18 ft putt for my first eagle.  Next one about 15 minutes later on a short, 307 yard par 4.  Hit a 2 iron in the fairway and a GW to an elevated green, didn't see the ball go in but it was in the cup.  No clue what my score was for the day, but I know it wasn't low, the eagles were just dumb luck.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

My first eagle came as a teenager in the 1960's. Since then, I've had two eagles in the 70's, one in the 80's, four in the 90's, two in the 00's, and three this decade.

The summary is 13 eagles over the last 6 decades. The breakdown is 6 eagles on par 5 holes, 5 eagles on par 4 holes, and 2 holes-in-one.

I can't wait until the 2020's so I can get an eagle in the next decade. :-D

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my first eagle today! It was on a par 5 dogleg right that was playing 505 from the blues. If you hit the ball far/high enough, you can cut the corner a little bit by going over a few trees. I hit a great drive right over the corner and left myself 186 to the flag. Took out a 6 iron and put the ball about 12 ft past the hole. It was a decently fast downhill left to right putt. Looked at it from every angle I could and then sank the putt. Hopefully the next eagle won't take 3 years to get like this one did!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the monkey off my back tonight.     #10 Royce Brook (par 4)  ... 134 yd approach to elevated green.     Holed a 9 iron.

Sucky part is that the green was slightly elevated, saw it disappear, so we thought it went off the back of the green - couldn't see it go in the hole ... oh well, not complaining.    Finishing up my 4th season - missed a bunch of eagle putts (10-20') on par 5's over the last couple years - never really had a short enough putt to really feel I deserved it.    Seems good to check that one off the bucket list ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16th hole of Torrey Pines.  Pulled the first shot OB.  Tee'd off again, down the middle.  From maybe 120 yds, hit the green, two bounces, slow roll into the cup.  My first eagle was actually a par.

Still haven't had an eagle.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Great thread for memory lane!!! Mine was at course I grew up at, Glenn Dale GC in MD. 14th hole is a downhill par 4 plays about 300 because of the elevation drop. Hit driver to about 100yds out (I was 15 playing the Titleist Prestige) and I knocked a wedge in on the fly, slam dunk. Made double or worse on every hole coming home. What a feeling though!

Adams XTD Driver Callaway Big Bertha 3-wood Adams Pro One Hybrid Ping S55 4-PW KBS Tour Titelist Vokey 52, 56, 60 Odyssey Versa #7 I play The Wheel weekly, and live and die for 2 down auto's

Note: This thread is 3479 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!