IGNORED

Need help! Do I need new clubs?

3putt3134
Note: This thread is 4611 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Bare with me here...I've been playing for a while, but this summer I've really gotten much more into my golf game, and practice/play usually at least 5 times a week now.  I currently have Cleveland CG4 irons that I got used about 3 years ago, they're older irons but have treated me well.  My game is pretty inconsistent, and I have shot anywhere from a 78-94 this summer (a terrible discrepancy I know).  I have a Burner Superfast 9.5 degree driver stiff, which I don't even use because I have no confidence in it.  I tee off with a 3 wood or iron on every hole other than par 5's.  My question to more experienced players would be:  To take my game to the next level, should I look for irons that will give me more consistent distances/trajectories, a new driver, or even bite the bullet and take those expensive golf lessons? I'm only 22 years old so money plays a factor, but I am willing to save up if I can improve my game.  I've grown to love this game very quickly, and want to enjoy it as much as possible!! Thanks for any input, and sorry for being long-winded.

If you want to improve, lessons would be the best bang for your buck. New clubs aren't going to help you if you don't know how to swing.

Originally Posted by 3putt3134

Bare with me here...I've been playing for a while, but this summer I've really gotten much more into my golf game, and practice/play usually at least 5 times a week now.  I currently have Cleveland CG4 irons that I got used about 3 years ago, they're older irons but have treated me well.  My game is pretty inconsistent, and I have shot anywhere from a 78-94 this summer (a terrible discrepancy I know).  I have a Burner Superfast 9.5 degree driver stiff, which I don't even use because I have no confidence in it.  I tee off with a 3 wood or iron on every hole other than par 5's.  My question to more experienced players would be:  To take my game to the next level, should I look for irons that will give me more consistent distances/trajectories, a new driver, or even bite the bullet and take those expensive golf lessons? I'm only 22 years old so money plays a factor, but I am willing to save up if I can improve my game.  I've grown to love this game very quickly, and want to enjoy it as much as possible!! Thanks for any input, and sorry for being long-winded.

I would say take a few lessons.  You don't have to take two a month for a year to get better.  Even two or three could help you figure out what to work on in practice.  Practicing 5x/week isn't necessarily doing you any good if you're not practicing a correct swing.

Also, lessons aren't necessarily expensive.  My local Golf Galaxy was running a special - 3 for $99.

:tmade: SLDR 12* :ping: G20 4W :adams: Speedline Super S 4H :mizuno: JPX-825 Pro 4-G :tmade: ATV 56* & 60* :cameron: 2014 Select Newport or 1997 Teryllium 3 Newport

Take lessons from a PGA professional - it's the best investment in your game. Upgrade your clubs later, including getting fit once you've got some consistency with your swing. There is nothing wrong with the clubs you have.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Lessons are the way to go in my opinion.  A local PGA teaching pro can get you hitting your current clubs consistently.  Then once you are hitting your clubs well you can decide what your next club should be to improve your game.  I hit my clubs very consistently, although not exactly how I would like, but they are an inexpensive set of Dunlops that were a package deal.  I just ordered my next set after my game became consistent and I knew what I was looking for in the next club.  Tons of research later and my new Pings are on their way...  Just my thoughts on your situation....

In my Clutch stand bag:

G15 Driver

G15 4 Wood

Warrior Golf 7 Wood

G15 4-UW

55* Sand & 60* Lob Wedges

Sedona i Putter

Balls

Originally Posted by 3putt3134

Bare with me here...I've been playing for a while,

Not knowing you, I'd prefer not to bare with you this early in the relationship. But I did bear with you.

Lessons are the answer. Your clubs are fine.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 4611 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!