IGNORED

Inground swimming pool depth???

TN94z
Note: This thread is 4271 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, we are in the planning stages of in inground pool.  We are having trouble deciding on a depth. When I was growing up, I always thought that a pool with a diving board was 10 feet deep.  As I call around to the different pool companies, they are telling me that 8.5 feet is usually what they install for a diving pool.  Is this pretty standard?  I mean, I have some taller friends and was thinking that 8.5ft may not be deep enough, but the pool installers are telling me that it should be fine.  We have gone swimming quite a bit at my wife's boss' house this year and their pool is 10ft and we loved it.  My step son liked swimming down and getting the toys from the bottom.

It's only a 200.00 extra cost to get the extra 1.5ft, but then that takes more away from the shallow end of the pool too.  If 8.5ft would be plenty for diving with no worries for anyone, I would probably go that route just to keep from taking away any more from the shallow end.

I just wanted to get some of your suggestions...maybe from some of you that have pools.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think its your pool that you and your fam are gonna enjoy so you should get whatever suits you best.

If you want 10 feet get 10 feet. If you get 8.5 and come to find its not enough... well you cant exactly add it on later.

In my limited experience the minimum depth to install a diving board is somewhere between 9 and 15 feet.

Honestly I think it comes down to how you treat it you can dive in 4 feet of water if your careful.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

Originally Posted by LankyLefty

I think its your pool that you and your fam are gonna enjoy so you should get whatever suits you best.

If you want 10 feet get 10 feet. If you get 8.5 and come to find its not enough... well you cant exactly add it on later.

In my limited experience the minimum depth to install a diving board is somewhere between 9 and 15 feet.

Honestly I think it comes down to how you treat it you can dive in 4 feet of water if your careful.

True and I understand that...I am just looking to see if anyone with pools would chime in on the depth of their pools and how it has worked out.   We want a diving board for sure.  But it's not all about what us 3 need either.  8.5ft would be fine with us but if our 6'4" friends come over and start diving, will it be enough for them?   Accidents happen no matter how you treat it though.  My wife's boss' pool is 10ft, like I mentioned earlier.  I dove in once and swear that I shot down to the floor rather quickly and I'm only 5'8".  That's what has me questioning the depth.  The biggest issue with the 8.5ft is the slope from shallow to deep.  If you take a taller person that springs out when they dive, well the slope is going to come into play and could cause an issue.  I am just throwing around all scenarios that could come into play because, like you said, once it's there, it's there.

I guess another reason for questioning it is will the extra depth be worth it?  I mean it's 200 more, there will be more water to put in, more chemicals to treat that water, etc...If 8.5 were plenty, it would be cheaper.   Just throwing things around...

Bryan A

• Administrator

Get the 10' and be done with it. That seems to be what you want people to tell you. Isn't most backyard pool diving the cannon ball variety? It's not like you're doing Triple Pikes or whatever... right?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Get the 10' and be done with it. That seems to be what you want people to tell you. Isn't most backyard pool diving the cannon ball variety? It's not like you're doing Triple Pikes or whatever... right?

Actually, I want people to tell me that the 8.5ft is plenty because it is cheaper. So, no, I don't necessarily want people to tell me 10ft.  Not with me and my step-son this summer.  I would say that 85% of what we did were straight dives.

But both of you make good points.  I am just covering all my bases, that's all.  I don't want anyone that comes over getting hurt. My family will enjoy it regardless. I just want to be sure that whatever we choose, we won't regret later.

Bryan A

I too would go with the 10ft deep pool.  8.5 seems a bit shallow, but most people who put in a pool these days do not put in a diving board at all.  The insurance is much cheaper if you do not have a diving board.  I would assume that is why the pool companies are quoting 8.5ft depths.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Double Bogey

I too would go with the 10ft deep pool.  8.5 seems a bit shallow, but most people who put in a pool these days do not put in a diving board at all.  The insurance is much cheaper if you do not have a diving board.  I would assume that is why the pool companies are quoting 8.5ft depths.

That's what I'd do. I'd put in a slide and if I wanted to jump in I'd do it from the sides. But that's me... If I was buying a pool it wouldn't be for "diving" at all.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Double Bogey

In talking with our insurance company, it doesn't make a difference.   Around here it is the opposite.   Mainly diving boards or a combination of both.  A good slide is 2500-3500!!  I thought that was a bit nuts!  That's why we were choosing the board (which comes with the install anyway).  You are probably correct though about the insurance.  I may need to check with mine again, just to be sure, but when I told them what I was doing, they said a fence was pretty much the only thing required.

I just called and confirmed that the insurance doesn't matter.  Basically, we have liability built into our homeowners and that is all that we need.

Originally Posted by iacas

That's what I'd do. I'd put in a slide and if I wanted to jump in I'd do it from the sides. But that's me... If I was buying a pool it wouldn't be for "diving" at all.

Well, the biggest thing about the diving board is my step son.  He LOVES the thing.  And there will probably be more jumping off it than diving but we do like to dive.  A slide would be great but they are so freaking expensive for what they are.  I am going to go ahead and plumb for a slide in case we want one in the future, but it's just not in the budget at the moment.

Bryan A

Thanks for the input guys.  I think we have decided on 10ft even though it's a little more expensive.  I have a couple of friends that are on the tall side and they say they would be afraid to dive in on the 8.5ft.  And I talked with my insurance people a 3rd time just to confirm and they told me that as long as there is a fence with a locking gate, there is no raise in rates even with a diving board.  That must just be for northern states or something where pools are not as common as they are in the south.

Bryan A

Another benefit of a deeper pool is that it will be cooler in the peak of the heat during the summer months.  My pool is only 5' deep at the "deep end" and it gets to about 94º in the summer!

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

Originally Posted by GJBenn85

Another benefit of a deeper pool is that it will be cooler in the peak of the heat during the summer months.  My pool is only 5' deep at the "deep end" and it gets to about 94º in the summer!

This was a big deciding factor in going with a 20x40 instead of 16x32.  The smaller, the hotter.

Originally Posted by Caphenning

EDIT: Oh, I see, they don't care go 8.5 and get the extra shallow end for people to hang out.

I have a call into the pool guy to ask how much it takes away from the shallow end.  That will weigh quite a bit as well.  Right now, I'm leaning toward deeper but I don't want to kill the shallow end either.

Bryan A

I have an inground pool, have had it for 15 years, it is a "diving" pool, 8.5 feet in the deep end.  We do not have a diving board but we dive in the deep end.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Originally Posted by lumpuckeroo

I have an inground pool, have had it for 15 years, it is a "diving" pool, 8.5 feet in the deep end.  We do not have a diving board but we dive in the deep end.

After thinking through everything, we are just going to go with the 8.5 feet as well.  This will give us a better shallow end for the kids to hang out in and any adults that can't swim.  I agree that most diving board stuff will be feet first kinds of things and diving will be okay for most since we are all average height anyway.  Plus it will be less water to treat and what not. Thanks for all of the input guys.  I know this seemed like a stupid question, but when spending this much money, I wanted to make sure I got what was needed.

Bryan A

I came late to this thread but think that 8.5 is plenty.  The pool we put in is shallow on both ends and 6 foot in the middle with a "conversation pit" with a table and a bench.  The back patio graduates to 18" above the water surface and makes a nice tile wall with a couple of squirting lion heads.  The 18" makes for a great place to jump into the water and eliminates the need for a diving board (which is one thing I didn't want my teenagers or their friends to have access to anyway).  I tried to go with a design that would be functional, aesthetically pleasing, and have plenty of deck surface for parties.  Just make sure that you go with a reputable builder and that you have even draws throughout the process.  My contractor got 50% after the hole was dug and the gunite was poured.  Good luck and enjoy.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

If you go 8.5 feet, you can always dive more forward rather than straight down if you're scared of hitting the bottom.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

Just make sure that you go with a reputable builder and that you have even draws throughout the process.  My contractor got 50% after the hole was dug and the gunite was poured.  Good luck and enjoy.

I have a good builder.  My dad actually digs the pools for this guy, so he will do a good job.

Originally Posted by jamo

If you go 8.5 feet, you can always dive more forward rather than straight down if you're scared of hitting he bottom.

Yeah, I think we will be okay.

Bryan A

Originally Posted by TN94z

I have a good builder.  My dad actually digs the pools for this guy, so he will do a good job.

Yeah, I think we will be okay.

That's good. We had a guy here that was cheaper and started about 20 pools with most people giving him 50% before the first pour. They all ended up with a big dirt hole in the ground as the guy skipped town.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 4271 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!