IGNORED

How many of you do not use a driver?

GJBenn85
Note: This thread is 3736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I don't get the "can't hit a driver" part, since even good drivers of the ball sometimes prefer a HYBRID - that is what we're talking about here - hybrids.

I don't consider a driving iron a hybrid ... to me, it's a 3 wood replacement.     I still have a need for a hybrid as well.     Perhaps I misinterpreted your post ??

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by inthehole

Quote:

I don't get the "can't hit a driver" part, since even good drivers of the ball sometimes prefer a HYBRID - that is what we're talking about here - hybrids.

I don't consider a driving iron a hybrid ... to me, it's a 3 wood replacement.     I still have a need for a hybrid as well.     Perhaps I misinterpreted your post ??

No, you interpreted it correctly. The following are typically considered interchangeable. Which ones are considered "crutches" is up to the individual.

5 wood = 2 iron = driving iron = 17-19 degree hybrid (i.e. 2 hybrid)

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

My 3 hybrid is 19º. I thought that was standard for a 3h. Is the loft different between all the manufacturers?

Hyper X 10º driver Diablo Edge 9.5º backup driver

Burner Rescue 3 hybrid 4-A irons 56º wedge 60º wedge CRAZ-E putter

Originally Posted by Sheriff420

Quote:

My 3 hybrid is 19º. I thought that was standard for a 3h. Is the loft different between all the manufacturers?

Hybrid lofts are as standardized as the clubs they replace. In other words, no, there is no standard.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Hybrid lofts are as standardized as the clubs they replace. In other words, no, there is no standard.

Gotcha. I'm still new to this so a lot of things on the forum still go over my head.

Hyper X 10º driver Diablo Edge 9.5º backup driver

Burner Rescue 3 hybrid 4-A irons 56º wedge 60º wedge CRAZ-E putter

Do 10 push ups every time you miss your driving range shot. Or maybe run a lap around the club house:) More seriously alternate between the driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, hybrid, and low iron for 18 shots. Count how many shots would have hit the fairway, been playable, or lost/horrid positioning.  I think a lot of people would be surprised at how bad their driving is when you have to count every shot and you are not just teeing up 20 in a row.

The part that people always leave off is that a lot of this is course specific. On some modern courses with housing, missing the fairway is death. There isn't much rough and you quickly get out of bounds. On some of the old courses if you miss your drive, you just play from the adjacent fairway which is no where near as harsh as stroke and distance. On the first course sticking with your 3/4 iron/hybrid might be the way to go most of the time. On the second course busting out the driver on every hole might work ok.

Originally Posted by Bananarama

Call me a choker, but hitting a driver off the tees is much more different than on the driving range.  I get to the course and forget how to hit the ball, let alone you have to hit your mark 90% of the time compared to the range where you can duff with no consequence other than an "oh drat, have another go and tweak the setup slightly"

I have started placing my balls away from me when so I have to walk away and think/shake head and arms and generally move about then re tee.  I think counting is the next step for this and sounds like a good move.

I also agree with you on course difficulty - I one course I learned to play on was a paddock with holes at the end so it doesnt matter how bad your first shot was...

• 2 years later...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GJBenn85

At the weekend warrior amateur level, I really wonder how much better off the average golfer would play if they would just leave the driver at home and use a wood off the tee.

Never hit a golf ball with a club that has less loft than your handicap. :)

In that case, I should stick to the pitch and putt :(

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

[QUOTE name="The Recreational Golfer" url="/t/53317/how-many-of-you-do-not-use-a-driver/36#post_649278"] Quote: [QUOTE name="GJBenn85" url="/t/53317/how-many-of-you-do-not-use-a-driver#post_648423"] Originally Posted by GJBenn85 [URL=/t/53317/how-many-of-you-do-not-use-a-driver#post_648423] View Post [/URL]     At the weekend warrior amateur level, I really wonder how much better off the average golfer would play if they would just leave the driver at home and use a wood off the tee.  [/QUOTE] Never hit a golf ball with a club that has less loft than your handicap. :) [/QUOTE] In that case, I should stick to the pitch and putt :(

23 degree hybrid is close. :-) 4i is way harder to hit well than a driver.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

23 degree hybrid is close. :-) 4i is way harder to hit well than a driver.

Yea actually I just got a used R11 3 Wood that I hit straight as an arrow.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

i sued to use a 2 iron instead of my driver, but then i tried some drivers out and now I'm pretty good with my new driver. although i only use my driver on par 4's longer than 450 or par 5's i can reach in 2. otherwise i tee off with 3 wood or less on really short par 4's. i will for go for a par 4 in 1 with my driver if it's less that 310.

For Sale: Ping i3+ 2i-UW

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Odyssey Versa Black/White LH Putter

I try to use my driver as little as possible due to a nasty slice that can happen at anytime (ex. 3 great drives through out the day then major slice on the 18th).

On average I would say I use driver once MAYBE twice a round, and its ONLY on long par 4s where a big miss right would not be OB and still allow me to chip back into fairway. There is obviously a lot of long par 4s where missing right is dead / OB etc., and on those holes I am usually always laying up and playing for bogey, I hate conceding par BUT its not worth hitting my third shot off the tee. It's frustrating because when I do put the driver in play I hit it 275-300. Irony is sometimes I will think im conceding par, get on in 3 and sink a 10-12 foot putt...but also times I will hit my 3rd shot loose and off the green, skull a chip over the green etc.

Oh yea, the absolute worst part of this is I have the SAME EXACT issue with my 3w / 5w and the miss can be just as bad! My 3 hybrid is not AS bad but I favor the right a little bit too much with that too be 100% confident / comfortable standing on the tee with it (although for whatever reason, I will hit certain approach shots with it and feel more comfortable, not sure why, just a feeling and its usually right)

So yep, a lot of 3-4-5-6 irons off the tee. The only good part about this is throughout the last year or two I have dramatically improved my iron game. I also can hit them (what I consider) a decent distance. In the summer 6i is 180, 5i is 190-195ish, 4i 205-210ish...not much diff between my 4i and 3i distance wise....maybe a few yards.

I would venture to even say my iron game is probably more symbolic of about a 12 handicap. I lose most strokes due to poor short game (mainly right off the green) and the fact that im taking a lot more long irons for approach shots than a lower handicap probably would and although I consider myself decent with the irons (again, talking weekend golfer standards here), it's still pretty difficult to continuously hit greens from 150-200. The other strokes I lose can be due to the 1-2 times a round I do use driver or fairway wood and maybe do end up slicing it and don't have a safe chip back into fairway.

One last note about the irons...None of this is to say I have a great or even good swing with my irons. I don't know, I have not had my swing video'd for over a year and have not had a lesson for as long. All I know is im confident with them and they go where I want them to go much more often than not. I do know that I always take my divot after the ball and the sound / flight / path of my good shots looks and sounds very similar to the low handicap players I have played with. (does no apply to mis-hits obviously, which I have as well from time to time).

I noticed a lot of people use 3W rather than driver. Driver seems to be easier to hit than 3W, and if you slice a driver it seems like the same should hold for the 3W. Just curious why you feel 3W is easier to hit? Is it the fact that it is teed up 1/4" from the ground? Or something else?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I noticed a lot of people use 3W rather than driver. Driver seems to be easier to hit than 3W, and if you slice a driver it seems like the same should hold for the 3W.

Just curious why you feel 3W is easier to hit? Is it the fact that it is teed up 1/4" from the ground? Or something else?

my 3w feels heavier (more stable) and the shaft feels just a little stiffer (better accuracy). also the loft helps with accuracy, which is why long irons are harder to hit than short irons.

For Sale: Ping i3+ 2i-UW

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Odyssey Versa Black/White LH Putter

I noticed a lot of people use 3W rather than driver. Driver seems to be easier to hit than 3W, and if you slice a driver it seems like the same should hold for the 3W.

Just curious why you feel 3W is easier to hit? Is it the fact that it is teed up 1/4" from the ground? Or something else?

I think for most people it's a combination of a) shorter shaft and b) more loft. The shorter shaft makes center contact easier and the increased loft tempers the side spin a bit.

My 3 wood is a Wilson Fat Boy and its head shape is almost identical to my Nickent Ironwood hybrids. It was given to me at the end of the season so I haven't even hit it yet but I'm thinking I may try teeing it low like an iron and playing it with an iron swing just like my hybrids as opposed to a sweeping FW type swing. If that works than this 3W could be a deadly weapon for me as I hit my hybrids WAY better than FW or Drivers.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/53317/how-many-of-you-do-not-use-a-driver/72#post_935868"] I noticed a lot of people use 3W rather than driver. Driver seems to be easier to hit than 3W, and if you slice a driver it seems like the same should hold for the 3W. Just curious why you feel 3W is easier to hit? Is it the fact that it is teed up 1/4" from the ground? Or something else?[/QUOTE] I think for most people it's a combination of a) shorter shaft and b) more loft. The shorter shaft makes center contact easier and the increased loft tempers the side spin a bit. My 3 wood is a Wilson Fat Boy and its head shape is almost identical to my Nickent Ironwood hybrids. It was given to me at the end of the season so I haven't even hit it yet but I'm thinking I may try teeing it low like an iron and playing it with an iron swing just like my hybrids as opposed to a sweeping FW type swing. If that works than this 3W could be a deadly weapon for me as I hit my hybrids WAY better than FW or Drivers.

I recently had an opportunity to use my 3W for a round, but was a little frustrated that everything was shorter. Would it be better to spend a lot of time getting better with the driver. For example, hitting into your net setup with a driver this winter until you feel good contact? Then you can use your driver this spring. I almost never use the fairway wood except on par 5s, and minimally practice with it. Yet, because I practice a lot with my driver the 3W comes naturally. It seems you could improve chances of getting closer to the hole by focusing on driver, but not lose your ability to use the 3W.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I recently had an opportunity to use my 3W for a round, but was a little frustrated that everything was shorter. Would it be better to spend a lot of time getting better with the driver. For example, hitting into your net setup with a driver this winter until you feel good contact?

I almost never use the fairway wood except on par 5s, and minimally practice with it. Yet, because I practice a lot with my driver the 3W comes naturally. It seems you could improve chances of getting closer to the hole by focusing on driver.

Alas, I can't hit a driver in my practice space, just don't have the head room for it. Can't hit 3w or hybrids there either. Most of my winter practice will be with an 8 iron.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

For me, teeing off, typically

• 275-400y par 4: 6I-3I/19 degree H
  • 400-450 par 4: 3I-3W if flat, no carry, no wind, etc...
  • par 5: driver, but irons/wood if wide turn off tee or narrow driving area

I'm comfortable using driver, but I'm very conservative off the tee and like using the long irons (esp. 3, 4), hybrid and 3W off the tee and on approach shots. I rarely hit driver at the range as well. Ironically, I like the 3W better because of the smaller head. These driver monstrosities nowadays, the proportion of it still screws with my head.

Another reason I don't use driver sometimes on the drivable par 4s is slow play.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 3736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!