IGNORED

Battle Srixon: q star versus AD333

Note: This thread is 3718 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There seems to be a lot of love for the q star here and in other forums, but if you look at the specs on the q star box, they seem almost exactly the same as the AD333 which, I understand, the q star is replacing. My question is: what are the differences between these two ball? Has anyone done a side by side test? Is this just a brand refresh on Srixon's part, or are there really substantive differences between the q star and the AD333?

The Q-Star is softer and spins more.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

See my comment on this site by Peartree. I love AD333s. However, they are going to be replaced

by Q stars with a higher price. I wouldn't mind if they presented some proof that they were superior , but as you stated, all they give a golfer is marketing fluff on the box.

My wife and I did our own playing test this weekend. See my review.

You, and rightly so, asked the obvious question. And Srixon doesn't have an answer.

Peeartree thanks for the link to your review. O think there is a tendiceny to want to believe that whatever is new is better, but it's not always the case. You would think that with all the cheerleading for the q star, there would be more response to a simple request for a comparison to the ball it is replacing---the obvious closets substitute. That deafening silence on the issue says a lot, I think. While I'm a Srixon fan, I'm not spending an additional $5 per dozen until I see some evidence of value for my additional cash. What is a little weird are all the folks out there willing to suggest that others try the q star apparently without any evidence that it works better than the (cheaper) ball that it is replacing. I suppose the Srixon marketing guys can be happy about a successful campaign though.

Originally Posted by misterjohn

What is a little weird are all the folks out there willing to suggest that others try the q star apparently without any evidence that it works better than the (cheaper) ball that it is replacing. I suppose the Srixon marketing guys can be happy about a successful campaign though.

I think you answered your own thought.  Why would someone suggest using the AD333 when they will not be produced anymore?

At 42 cents more per ball they are def worth the money for extra spin and softness.

I played both and I honestly did not tell much of any difference at all. The resident professional at our local course also tried both and said for the difference in cost, it is not worth it other than to pull out the shiny new box and show off the Q-Star in the club house. His personal review was that he also would not be able to distinguish the difference between the balls if blindly handed one at a time.

Think of that scenario when you're comparing these balls in such a way. If I blind-folded you and handed you one, I really doubt that you're going to hit it and then say "Oh, that was a Q-Star!". Or with a chip shot say, "Yeah that one didn't check up at all, definitely the AD-333.". (For the smart-asses that will say you can't hit blind-folded, how about instead... removing the label from the ball lol)

I'm by no means cheap but with this almost unnoticeable difference, I will definitely take the AD-333 at the current cost of 2 dozen for $25.00 at Golf Galaxy. "Generally" the same quality, twice the quantity - why not?

Originally Posted by Spyder

why not?

Yellow.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Spyder

why not?

because eventually you will not have a choice - it will be Q-star or find another ball. Since you cant tell the difference, I am sure the extra $5 will be worth it.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My overall point is that people who choose to play this particular ball can utilize the sales that are currently going on to stock up on it. Obviously, you will eventually need to move onto the Q-Star in the future if you enjoy playing the AD-333 and want the next comparable model in Srixon's line. To the argument being made that the "Q-Star is obviously superior" though, I commented to offer my advice on the contrary. This would be the same concept as someone actually trying to tell you that they can easily and quickly tell the difference between a prior generation Pro V1x and a 2011 Pro V1x by performance/feel.

Personally, I'm going to stock up on the Callaway HX-Hot Plus because 2 for $35.00 is a pretty damn good deal at the moment. I've already got several dozen of the AD-333 stocked up from the 2 for $25.00 sale.

As part of my little experiment, I picked up some q stars to run head to head versus the ad333s. I found no significant differences between the two balls. They went about the same distance, spun about the same, felt about the same, sounded about the same. I'm quite sure I could not tell the two apart in a blind taste test. I think q star is a marketing strategy on Srixon's part rather than a true technological advance. Several others seem to confirm this. Thus, for all those posts where the q star is recommended, I would instead recommend trying the ad333. It's cheaper for the moment and if you end up liking it, you can transition to the q star once ad333 is no more and still enjoy the same level of happiness (albeit at a higher price point).

• 8 months later...

There is one, but only one, difference between the back of the box descriptions of the two balls: the number of dimples. I don't have the balls in front of me to check for sure, but I believe the ad333 has 333 dimples. The Q-Star has about 344, if I'm remembering correctly. I don't know if this would meaningfully affect the performance.

By the way, the descriptions of these two balls is pretty close to how Bridgestone describes the e5, their soft, two-piece spin ball. It's about 26.95 and is described as having a urethane, rather than rabalon, cover. To me the two covers are very similar--they are similarly soft and scuff rather easily (don't hit any cart paths on the fly!). I like all three balls, but, as you say, the ad333 is the best deal.

• 1 month later...

My spring golf buddies and I made our annual trip to NC the End of February and prior to leaving I picked up some Z-Stars.   Granted they were last years model but I was able to get them at $24 a dozen and purchased several dozen.  I really like them and then the Q=Star came out decided I'd try them and like the rest of you I feel there is a big drop of between the Z and Q-Star.  I get lots of spin with the Q-Star but not wuite the distance and will be going back to the HX-Hot+ basically due to pricing.

As for the mention of the Titleist Prov1 and x, I've never liked them.  Won 2 dozen last fall and gave them to my son, he likes titleists.

i must be crazy but i tried the ad333's a handful of times and hated them. i recently have played the srixon yellow trispeed tours and they seem nice.  maybe its all just in my head

I've played a couple dozen of each, they are both great balls for the money. I agree with a few others, if you like the Qstars, try the AD333 as long as you can still find them.

• 7 months later...

Read your review ,with all due respect none of you have the swing speed to get the spin to stop the ball. I can stop any dstance ball within a foot or 2 or less but my swing speed is around 100. That said the q-star performs well for me and I carry it 278 a lot of that is due to my new CG Black driver get one you will be amazed Im 30 yards longer just carry Im 53 .

• 11 months later...
Note: This thread is 3718 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!