IGNORED

Can't stop buying iron sets!

longbow
Note: This thread is 4106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I kill me.  Since I started playing again in may of this year I bet I have bought at least one set of irons every 3 weeks.  Off the bay.  I see a set I always wanted to try back in the 90's or so and couldn't afford them.  Now they are considerably less expensive so I buy them to see how they play. My best sets yet are two sets of TM Firesoles, one custom series and one pro series.  Outside of the pro series having graphite shafts I can't tell the difference in the clubs themselves when hitting them.  Both sets hit the best of any iron set I have bought.  This includes X18's, Titelist 981, Wilson Pi 7 and of course Hogan Edge forged.  I have a set of Titelist DCI oversized coming this week that were pretty inexpensive and look to be in excellent condition so I'll try those and that will be it for sticks till next spring.  The X18's hit pretty well and I was surprised that I can kind of work the ball a bit, at least hit a draw when I need to.  Like I said the TM's so far are the best and rival my Hogan GCD tour's I have had forever.  I also have as set of Founders Club Royales that are A-OK and these have there Royal graphite shafts.  Truly decent irons but a players irons to be sure.  Anyways that's it.  I will have a ton of irons for sale in the late fall and may use ebay to see how it goes.  How does one start selling on the form here?  thanks

I hear ya.  Im guilty of buying different clubs all the time because I got them cheap off of Ebay too.  I swear, I need to just delete my Ebay account and be done with it.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

It takes about every ounce of restraint I have to not buy more clubs I do not need.  I recently replaced essentially my entire set because of deals too good to pass up (such as an $800 set of Callaway irons for $340 from Golf Smith).

Good news is I now know what to look for so I am buying on eBay and other sources to save some money over local stores.

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

I'm the same way with irons, and putters on ebay.  My wife has now told me I have to get rid of 2 sets of irons the next time I buy a set. I have a few sets of pings and a few sets of clevelands. I have bought a few of the sets with project x shafs because the shafts were cheaper when buying them in a used set of clubs than buying the shafts new (I keep telling myself that I'm going to pull them eventually and put them on some new heads that I purchase but we'll see).

I don't even have the excuse of clubs being cheaper on eBay! So far this year I've:

- Replaced old Nike SQ Sumo irons with Yonex VMS irons.

- Bought a Yonex Nanospeed 3i 3W.

- Got fit for a driver and bought a Mizuno JPX800 driver.

- Loved the driver and so got fit and bought the 3W JPX800.

- Sold the Yonex Nanospeed 3i.

- Loved both the JPX800 driver and 3W so bought a 3H JPX800 too.

- Tried out and loved the Ping Half Wack-E putter. Bought it.

And now I have a TM Burner Superfast 4H to sell and donated my Ping Anser iWi to my grandfather.

You'd think that's enough but nnnoooo my Spidey Senses tingle at the thought of a set of Mizuno MP-59's (or if my swing isn't quite good enough for MP-59's, some JPX800Pro's).

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

I've been doing that with fairway wood and hybrids. Since I've come to the conclusion that hitting something good at the range does not always carry over to the course, I've been picking up used clubs on ebay, playing them, and then deciding if they stay in the bag. On a couple of clubs I got a good enough deal that when TGW has a bonus on trade-ins, I've sent the club in for a gift card worth more than what I paid for the club.

I kinda do the same.  I have only bought two iron sets but have tried several drivers, fairway woods, and hybrids.  ebay is a great way to try out many different brands.  You can't just go demo older models.

I have bought and then resold several clubs, and a set.  I have done pretty well with reselling - close to breaking even.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Well I am glad to see I am not alone!  Just put a set of the PE2's on the bay and will see what happens.  Iron sets are what I bought the most of but I ain't saying I haven't purchased other clubs, like Nickent hybrids, which I think SUCK!, a couple of new fw's from Cleveland, and a couple of drivers, the best of which for me has turned out to be Titelist D2 907 or something like that.  I just know I hit it decent, not long mind you but decent.  A couple of really nice Orlimar fw's with the EI 70 green shafts which are really superb and have a great sound when connecting.  It's a toss up between the Orlimars and the Clevelands as to which I like better.  Ok that's it, thanks

You're just getting started. Wait until you start picking up extra wedges, putters, woods, and bags to make several complete setups. I picked up my second Sun Mountain four5 yesterday. Now if I can convince myself to dump all my other random bags, it'll just be the Sun Mountains and the staff bags (for storage).

Originally Posted by longbow

Well I am glad to see I am not alone!  Just put a set of the PE2's on the bay and will see what happens.  Iron sets are what I bought the most of but I ain't saying I haven't purchased other clubs, like Nickent hybrids, which I think SUCK!, a couple of new fw's from Cleveland, and a couple of drivers, the best of which for me has turned out to be Titelist D2 907 or something like that.  I just know I hit it decent, not long mind you but decent.  A couple of really nice Orlimar fw's with the EI 70 green shafts which are really superb and have a great sound when connecting.  It's a toss up between the Orlimars and the Clevelands as to which I like better.  Ok that's it, thanks

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I started playing again in April with some hand me downs from my wife's uncle. In May I bought a set of cheap arse Ram Laser clearance irons from Sports Authority. At the end of August I picked up some Mizuno MP 32's from Instant Replay, here in town, for $189. Slowly I've been buying a club every couple of weeks...sometimes used, often times clearance items and the occasional new item. Without fail, after every item I purchase I tell my wife "No more clubs this year...promise." Unfortunately, it seems I'm having a hard time keeping that promise....lol

I am thinking about picking up a Mizuno 2 iron at Instant Replay as well...it was priced at $59, but all their prices are negotiable...."just one more...I promise"...lol

The War Sticks:

Driver: Adams Speedline F11 9.5* w/ Aldila Voodoo stiff flex shaft

3Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15*

Hybrid: Ping G10 22* 

Irons:Mizuno MP32's 3-PW (bought used for $189)

Wedges: Cleveland CG14 52*, 56*

Putter: An old Ram Laser...lol...but it works

Ball: Srixon Q-star

I haven't bought a new set and don't plan to buy a new set for quite some time. I do plan on buying a new Driver sometime soon and possibly a 3W as I'm currently not very accurate with my 3i.  I seem to buy more balls than anything else - and not because I lose them. I'm addicted to hitting different golf balls and that is also pretty damn costly! lol 4 dozen Pentas are basically equal to a 2.0 Superfast fairway wood! The 4 dozen would barely make it half the season with me because my wedges, 8i and 9i shred the cover off of them (as well as Pro V). At leas the wood would last for years......

LOL I made the same promise after buying a few sets of irons and hybrids over the summer.  It's been a month and so far I've kept it, but it hasn't been easy.

Originally Posted by RyderJ

Without fail, after every item I purchase I tell my wife "No more clubs this year...promise." Unfortunately, it seems I'm having a hard time keeping that promise....lol

I am thinking about picking up a Mizuno 2 iron at Instant Replay as well...it was priced at $59, but all their prices are negotiable...."just one more...I promise"...lol

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's been about 10 days since my last club purchase.  Problem is I will be in Charleston tomorrow and I cannot refuse the temptation of browsing Dick's.  Love their golf department and I do not have much restraint.

Luckily I have no one to answer to but myself.  No wife, no girlfriend, no kids...just me and my wallet!

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

LOL...I think I'm finished for a while...at least until I can afford a newer set of Mizuno's or some Yonex's. I needed to get a better set of clubs than the Ram Laser's I purchased when I was getting back into the game. Now I have a set I'm happy with and will hopefully last a while. I'll probably end up re-shafting and re-gripping my Mizuno's , but other than that I'm good for a while.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

LOL I made the same promise after buying a few sets of irons and hybrids over the summer.  It's been a month and so far I've kept it, but it hasn't been easy.

The War Sticks:

Driver: Adams Speedline F11 9.5* w/ Aldila Voodoo stiff flex shaft

3Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15*

Hybrid: Ping G10 22* 

Irons:Mizuno MP32's 3-PW (bought used for $189)

Wedges: Cleveland CG14 52*, 56*

Putter: An old Ram Laser...lol...but it works

Ball: Srixon Q-star

I'm the complete opposite; I have my current equipment and that's it.  If I buy something new, I either sell or give away the old club(s).  I'm already confused enough on the golf couse.  I don't need the additional pressure of say trying to figure out which set of clubs I should play each time I go out.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

I do the same thing have a 909f3 trading in for a 910 traded a taylormade dual for a i15 then trade the i15 for a 910h all in two months

In my  stand bag

:titleist:910d2 8.5*

speedline fast 12 3w 

910h 17* 

:titleist: 712 cb/mb 3-p

:mizuno: MP-T4 56* 60*

:nike: method 001 

:srixon: tour yellow z star xv 

Guilty… I have am on my 3 rd driver in in 2yrs (Cobra/ Callaway / R11), 2 nd iron set since last fall (although I think the MP-57 will stay a while) putters and wedges are made to be thrown out, the only thing left in my bag from the spring of 10 is my 3w…Sigh i don't even both updating the whats in my bag part of my sig.

Worst part is once a club comes out of my bag it does not come back…we are divorced!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Note: This thread is 4106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!