IGNORED

Callaway x-20 Tour Project X 5.0 Flighted question

Note: This thread is 6188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

I've always played Callaway irons, starting with the x-14's. I still think they were the best Callaway ever made.

I was playing the X-18's for the last year and a half, but I just got tired
of not being able to cut a ball. The off-set is a good thing for someone who has a problem with slicing, but being an ex-hockey player, I've always had a strong grip and more of a tedency to pull my bad shots...

Anyway, I just bought 5-PW of the Calllaway x-20 Tour with the 5.0 PX Flighted shafts. I'm playing with them for the first time this Saturday.

Anyone else use these club or shafts?

Thanks. Any input appreciated...

Jcard - I also play the X18s - I was curious about how you like the Superquad? - what did you hit before? I had the TM R7 - hit it well, went to the 425 - hated it and just ordered the Superquad.

In the Bag -

425 Stiff
Rapture 3W
Rescue 16 D X18 Irons 50 & 56 Putter ProV1

Jcard - I also play the X18s - I was curious about how you like the Superquad? - what did you hit before? I had the TM R7 - hit it well, went to the 425 - hated it and just ordered the Superquad.

I had the R7 425. I loved the 425, it was just that it didn't go very far... The Superquad for me carries at least 10-15 yds longer than the 425. Anyone have the X-20 Tour yet? Or the Project X Flighted 5.0?

The flighted shafts are awesome, I love them. I demoed the X-forged with the 6.0 on them and loved every minute.

In the bag:
Great Big Birtha II Stiff 10 degrees
Hibore 15 degrees, V2 shaft stiff
X-forged 3-pw
Vokey Oil Can 256-10, 260-08 34in Tess ProV1

I just bought the X-20 Tour (4-PW) with the Project X 6.0 flighted shafts. Haven't had a chance to get them out on the course yes (it's been a lovely spring thus far in the Northeast), but the Project X shaft was one of the biggest reasons why I chose the X-20 tour over the other sets on my list. Based on what I saw during my demo sessions, shot dispersion is a lot tighter than it was with the 95 gram shafts in my previous clubs.

My Website: Qwowi Golf

In my Atlas Bag:
Driver: R7 SuperQuad 9.5° VS Proto 65-S
3+ Wood: G10 4 Wood: G10 Hybrid: 585H VS Proto 80-SIrons: X-20 Tour 5-PWGap Wedge: Vokey 200 Series 52°Sand Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 56°Lob Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 60°Putter: Bettinardi BC1

I just bought the X-20 Tour (4-PW) with the Project X 6.0 flighted shafts. Haven't had a chance to get them out on the course yes (it's been a lovely spring thus far in the Northeast), but the Project X shaft was one of the biggest reasons why I chose the X-20 tour over the other sets on my list. Based on what I saw during my demo sessions, shot dispersion is a lot tighter than it was with the 95 gram shafts in my previous clubs.

I'm wondering if I should have gotten the 6.0 instead of the 5.0? I guess the 5.0 are more like the regular flex shaft which is what I want, but I see a lot of people using the 6.0? Those are stiff right?

I'm wondering if I should have gotten the 6.0 instead of the 5.0?

What is your swing speed in mph with a driver? On a level lie with no wind...what are your normal distances with a PW, 8 iron, 7 iron, 5 iron, and 3 iron? 6.0 is the low end of stiff and gets increasingly stiffer as you go up per point.

What is your swing speed in mph with a driver? On a level lie with no wind...what are your normal distances with a PW, 8 iron, 7 iron, 5 iron, and 3 iron?

I spoke with Callaway directly and was told that 5.0 is equivalent to the uniflex shaft. Driver = 97MPH PW=115 8=140 7=155 5=170

I spoke with Callaway directly and was told that 5.0 is equivalent to the uniflex shaft.

5.0 to 5.5 should do you. Based on your distances and swingspeed, I might have said 5.5. It kinda depends on your transition speed at the top. If you're quick in your backswing and transition it should be the higher end. If you're slower and smooth with more of a pause, the lower end.

I've read the 6.0 plays somewhere between S300 and X100 in TrueTemper shafts. Of course, who knows how reliable my source was. Perhaps one of the clubmakers can give us a better idea. I was fit for the 6.0. My driver swing speed range is around 100 -/+ a few MPH, and I hit my 6-iron between 170 and 175.

My Website: Qwowi Golf

In my Atlas Bag:
Driver: R7 SuperQuad 9.5° VS Proto 65-S
3+ Wood: G10 4 Wood: G10 Hybrid: 585H VS Proto 80-SIrons: X-20 Tour 5-PWGap Wedge: Vokey 200 Series 52°Sand Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 56°Lob Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 60°Putter: Bettinardi BC1

I've read the 6.0 plays somewhere between S300 and X100 in TrueTemper shafts. Of course, who knows how reliable my source was. Perhaps one of the clubmakers can give us a better idea. I was fit for the 6.0. My driver swing speed range is around 100 -/+ a few MPH, and I hit my 6-iron between 170 and 175.

A 6.0 is more in line with an S300. For 170-175 yards with your 6 iron, a 6.0 is a good fit. I'd put an S400 with a 6.5 and a X100 with a 7.0

I bought the X-20 tours about a month ago, Project X 6.0, plus 1", 2 degree upright, as a replacement for x-16's which were super in the 3, 4, 5 iron and clunky heavy in the 8-PW.

If you go to the precision website, they list the 5.0 shafts as regular, 5.5 as stiff, and 6.0 as stiffer. The 6.5 is X-stiff. Based on your yardages, I suggest either the 5.5's or 6.0. The 5.5's are lighter and have a lower bend point which will give up higher ball flight. The 6.0's will give more control, lower ball flight, and perhaps less distance.

I've only gotten out twice (also Northeast) with mixed results. Love them for chipping and partial shots, don't have the distances figured out yet. First time out I was short and right, second time out long and left. Must be the indian, not the arrow.

just got the x-20's, steel shaft about a week ago. they are like butter. Played today in driving rain... up the the 4I, they're unbelievable.....straight and true

driver:G2 graphite reg flex
FW:HiBore 3w, G2 7w
Irons:: x20, 4-pw steel shaft uniflex
wedges: SW and GW, steel reg
Putter: G5 Craz-eBalls:Callaway HX Hot

I'm playing the X20 Tours in 5.0 and have speed and distances the same as yours. The 5.0 is perfect. Long and accurate.
I've played forged for the last two years and the feel of the Tours is very pleasent.
I can cut and draw the ball mildly with the Tours but they do like to go straight. My miss has always been a pull and that has dissappeared with these clubs.
Perfect from the first round. No complaints at all.

The Precision site recommends someone that hits a 6 iron 170 to use the 5.5. I hit my 6 iron 185 and have recently moved from X100's to 6.0 and it was just about right. Here is the link to the Precision site, the fitting chart as a suggested starting point is at the bottom of the page.

Thanks for all the replies! The last time I was this excited about a set of iron was when I bought the X-14's. Based on the link to RP's website, I feel the 5.0 are perfect for me. Keep in mind they suggest "CARRY" distances, not total distance. I carry my 6 iron about 160.

Note: This thread is 6188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!