IGNORED

Macgregor M85T driver? Anybody hit this? It has very interesting specs.

handlez42
Note: This thread is 4299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

macgregor has been a solid company and is in a close second for major wins with 59. they have struggled lately but ive always been very interested in their products. including this one....

• Their new M85T that has a clubhead design very close to a Ping I15. Deep face with a shorter crown and very curvy for i can only imagine aerodynamics.
  • It looks like they have moveable weights in the back of the clubs (2) but more in the position of the old taylormade burner driver as well as the rescue hybrid and raylor.
  • They EVEN have an adjustable hosel for face angle called "FACEFIT" technology. I can only assume that the loft is also adjusted to ensure the loft is the same in any angle you choose for ball flight.
  • Lastly, the thing that really got me itching to try this club is the Cup Face 360 Technology. A related product to this is the "Combo Brazing" technique Tour edge has been doing for years as well as a newer callaway razr X tour driver that has a process very much the same.

I guess they use "plasma welding" to weld the face to the body. I assume the back end of the body is now strategically weighted as well.

In short the face has a face with many more hot spots on it, or just one much larger hot zone along the entire face, in order to maintain distance no matter where you hit on the face.

I'm really interested in this driver and was hoping that maybe somebody has info. on it or macgregors' 2010 model the M75T driver. And has macgregor been bought by any particular company? this may be the reason for all this technology or they have been trying to develop their very own R&D; department much like Tour Edge.

It doesn't look like the weights are removable, they appear permanent.  And the Facefit adjusts the face angle by 2° open or closed, which will likely result in a differing loft.

The MacGregor brand is owned by Golfsmith.

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

Which is owned by Satan.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

From what I understand, the M75T and the M85T are essentially the same driver except that the M85T has the "FaceLift" technology.  Basically what that does is allows you to open or close the club face (by 2 degrees if I remember correctly).  As far as I know the weights in the back aren't moveable and can't be swapped out. I've hit both in the store and actually thought they were pretty solid... I think you can pick up the M75T for about 100 or less and the M85T isn't much more (maybe 129 or so).

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

It doesn't look like the weights are removable, they appear permanent.  And the Facefit adjusts the face angle by 2° open or closed, which will likely result in a differing loft.

they actually are removable weights. saw some reviews on golfsmith and by the loft not changing, i mean they may have designed the FaceFit in a way to where at neutral the club is 10.5...and when open or closed, they may have came up with a way that at any face angle the loft is still the same. im not saying they did, but it seems better than buying a "draw" driver head or a non adjustable head set up open when shafted opposed to finding a way to maintain the same loft while affecting face angle. I realized this with my 10* TEE cb3 driver. Its about 1.5 degrees open and then i was told that an open face d-lofts the degree of the face. no problems getting the ball in the air but im sure it would be a great club for me (easier) if the the loft was also 10 degrees with an open club face.

maybe im better off getting 11* and opening it up. but i like mine.

either way i was really interested in this driver because i like macgregor. and by the design of this driver and its techy specs, it seems as if Golfsmith may have invested some R&D; into this one.

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

From what I understand, the M75T and the M85T are essentially the same driver except that the M85T has the "FaceLift" technology.  Basically what that does is allows you to open or close the club face (by 2 degrees if I remember correctly).  As far as I know the weights in the back aren't moveable and can't be swapped out. I've hit both in the store and actually thought they were pretty solid... I think you can pick up the M75T for about 100 or less and the M85T isn't much more (maybe 129 or so).

i was reading golfsmith reviews and people were mentioning the weights being movable. And at first glance i was skeptical because it looked like a cheaper weighted version of the taylormade burner/rescue/raylor line. but then at second glance it looks like there could be a wrench type "grooves" or whatever.

I have yet to see this club, but i might have to go check my local golf shop/sports store, which has pretty much EVERYTHING. more than dicks (i bought wilson staff irons and my areas dicks sporting googds does not have any wilson products although wilson assures me by their website, that they do.)

Saw a video on youtube of a "review" basically a macgregor guy talking about the club not an actual test. It looks like a good looking club even by its shape. I mentioned that it looks like the Ping i15 up in the original post but its a little more curvy like an Adams driver. Not sure if its low spin, control driver or just a smash it up and long type. looks solid though. I'm more curious about the face, because if it feels anything like any of my tour edge exotics clubs (cb3 driver, cb2 15*, cb2 19 Hyb) i'll buy it in a second.

Originally Posted by handlez42

i was reading golfsmith reviews and people were mentioning the weights being movable.

I read through the Golfsmith reviews this morning and could only find this: " I do wish the weight ports were real, working, interchangable weight ports and not just for show..."

http://reviews.golfsmith.com/8567/MG4010/m85t-driver-reviews/reviews.htm

And from another review site: "they painted the M85T black, gave it the now cliche weight ports which are purely for looks,"

http://www.intothegrain.com/macgregor-golf-2010-lineup-farewell-to-an-old-friend/

Also, a quote from the Golfsmith staff:  "When the face is rotated open 2* you are adding 2* of loft. The head size is 460cc. the clubs has the UST Mamiya – AXIVCore shaft and a proprietary grip. "

i must have miss read the reviews. they did look a little "too good to be true". but the club itself looks very solid and almost mean lookin'. haha

more eager to hit it a few times, find out what the feel, control, trajectory weight, etc. is all like. (hope its not too high spinning either)

• 3 months later...

Sorry to dig up such old thread, but I thought I'd share my two cents since I recently bought the M85T.  I have the 9.5 and adjusted the face 2 degrees open.  I'm not one to make ridiculous claims, but this thing is absolutely huge.  And I'm not lying when I say that this added a good 15 yards to my drives.  My spin rates were really solid (right around 2300) with this compared to clubs like the R11, Ping I15, Adams Speedline, etc.  I'm hitting a very consistent high draw ball flight and the ball just seems to fly for days off of this thing.  A good drive for me with my R5 was in the 270-285 range and I'm hitting this thing 285-300.  It might be the lighter shaft (60g vs. 83g) or the "cupface" technology?  Whatever it is, I love this club and the results I'm seeing on the course.  I picked this thing up for $79.99, and at that price, it's the steal of the century.

Also, as an fyi, one of the quotes above about the adjustable face is actually incorrect.  When you set the club open, the loft effectively decreases (not increases).  So with my 9.5 set open, it plays more like an 8 deg.

• 5 months later...

Bought 5 drivers this year so far and this is the best of the lot by a mile.

Reason they are so cheap is that there is obviously a design flaw with this unit that causes some to snap off at the hosel. Didn't know this until after I bought it and did some research. Also tried to move the shaft and the retaining nut was screwed on so tight, I bent/broke the wrench. Maybe the problem is that the machine was set wrong at the factory and many of these heads got screwed on too tight which obviously stresses the threads and could lead to fracture down there.

Mine is still together and have played 6-7 rounds with it as well as numerous buckets of range balls. Keeping my fingers crossed.

It flies long and straight, feels great, shaft feels perfect for me - UST AXIV. As long or longer than any of the Nikes/Taylormades I bought. Got a spare from ebay for $50 in case mine snaps. Golfsmith will replace it if they have any left in stock. M75T is a different animal. Haven't hit it, but head is a different shape and it doesn't lay flat at address. Sits on a high point, don't like that.

I love this thing......

Golfsmith does own Macgregor Golf, lock, stock and barrel. No tour contracts so they save a bunch of money there.

Note: This thread is 4299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!