Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
inthehole

Anybody ever use a driving iron ?

8 posts in this topic

A buddy of mine gave me a driving iron - it has a hollow head, and is stamped 15°.    I hit my long irons much better than my woods, so I've put alot of time on this driving iron in the last 2 range sessions - has a great ball flight & soooooo much easier for me to hit off the tee than my 3 wood (it's about an inch and a half shorter as well).     Distance is every bit as far as my 3 wood, often longer because I hit it purer.     I'm not replacing the driver, but am thinking about replacing the 3 wood with the driving iron (I rarely hit the 3W off the fairway unless it's a perfect fluffy lie anyways).

Anybody have any experience with driving irons ??    Thx

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I used to play a Billy Club driving iron I really liked. I was consistently just a little shorter than my Driver but a whole lot more accurate with it.

a friend of mine still uses an old mizuno driving iron.  there are an abundance of short par 4's on the courses around here so something like that comes in handy.

i ordered a nike tiger woods victory red forged 2 iron about 6 months ago on ebay.

been working on it alot

it took me a while to figure it out,but i tee off with it alot now on

short par fours

replaced my 4 wood and so far am happy

btw it was 27.99 with free shipping and from a reputable seller so i figured i would try it and

am glad i did

I used to have a full set of Mizuno MP Fli-Hi hybrids which are basically driving irons. They were OK but I found that I got a much higher launch and had more confidence with a wood or a woolike hybird.

I'm always willing to take in a club, even if I'm not going to use it, just for the sake of having a backup set. A buddy was ready to throw away an old Dunlop driving iron so I told him I'd take it. I then gave it to my dad who consistently uses it in bad rough lies from 200+ out and he is usually a chip shot off the green or better. He definitely enjoys it. Personally, I'd rather use my extra wide-soled, cavity back 3i to get the same result.

Originally Posted by Spyder

I then gave it to my dad who consistently uses it in bad rough lies from 200+ out and he is usually a chip shot off the green or better. He definitely enjoys it. Personally, I'd rather use my extra wide-soled, cavity back 3i to get the same result.

i've had similar experiences. i have a Tommy Armour 845s Driving Iron that has only seen the course a few times. i can hit whatever shot i could with the driving iron (mostly low punches that had to travel some distance) with my current 3-iron, and on full swings, the 3-iron goes just as far with a much more playable ball flight. i don't think most people would/should remove a club to add a driving iron. maybe in really windy conditions, but even then, i'll take my chances trying to keep a 3W low, and possibly losing a few yards if it balloons.

I had one in high school and it was great in the dry summer but not so much in spring/fall. I hit it very low so without a good amount of roll it really was not a club for me plus I hit my 3 wood fine.