IGNORED

What is your personal goal for golf?

jcollins120
Note: This thread is 3617 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by eich41

If that's your goal I have two comments:

1) You're going to have to be able to shoot consistently in the low 70's on the courses and setups you are most likely playing on now.

2)  I wouldn't be posting on the internet, using my name as my screen name, and using an avatar of (presumably) my underage self drinking a beer.

Even though it's commonplace to drink a lot while in college any college golf coach is going to probably pass on a prospective recruit if there are signs that there could be off the course issues during your 4+ years under their watch.

lol, great points.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

• 2 weeks later...

My goals for 2013

learning it all by myself and having practiced between 70 and 100 hours (spread over 3 years!), I usually finish my 9-hole rounds on the local 9-hole course between 50 and 55, making a lot of horrible shots (shanking, topping).

putting average 2.0 - 2.2

finally having 2 months free time to do some real and consistent practicing (meaning 6 - 7 days a week, 3 - 6 hours/day)

Short term goal:   by july 15th, 2013, I want to break 45 (9-hole) more often than not.

Mid term goal:     by the end of 2013, I want to break 40 on a regular base

Long term goal:   by the end of 2014, I want to be able to play my local course under par on a regular base.

I had the hole in one back in 1997 I want to get back to shoot ing in the mid 80's and would like to break 80 if I have it in me to do it

Ping G20 iron

Ping G20 pitching,sand and approach wedges

Ping G25 driver

Adams 19* and 22* hybrid

Ping G25 3 wood

Ping Karsten putter

Ping pioneer cart bag

Bridgestone E6

Simple goals: getting better little by little, being more consistent and playing smarter. I am practicing and playing several time a week, so I have a good chance to achieve my goals by the end of the year.

Driver:     TaylorMade Jetspeed, stiff

Fws:        Taylormade RBZ 5 wood

Hybrids:   TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 rescue 3H

Irons:      Callaway X2 Hot Pro

Wedges:  Cleveland CG16 54*/14

Ping Glide WS 58*

Putter:     TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs

Long term goal is to have a single digit handicap. Short term is to consistently hit the ball solid and eliminate bad holes (triple or worse).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

I worked in the pro shop of my local country club for 6+ years in my youth, never played more than three times a year, I was a basketball/football kid.

Now I am almost 40 and a member of that club taking golf seriously for the first time in my life. 2013 is the first year I have played more than 10 rounds.

I had the goal to break 100 this year, I have accomplished this, I shot 88 and 89 this week. So my new goal is to shoot 86>=<94 for the rest of the season. I also want to get my nerves under control to the point where I don't top or shank any shots in a round. I average two topped drives and a couple of shanks a round.

My goals for next year are to get myself a handicap and be comfortable enough to play a couple of tournaments. Shoot under 83 regularly by the end of the season. Start playing with a driver, right now I hit my 3 wood 235-240 into the fairway off the tee and the driver 260 with a nasty slice that ends up in the next fairway, so I leave the driver in my trunk. Stop leaving puts 6" short. Get fit for and purchase my own set of irons. Using a loaner set of ping eye2 black dot, +2" rifle stiffs right now.

The next year I want to start shooting under 80. Start to regularly birdie #2, #12, and #18.

Our season plays from early/mid March until early/mid November most years and I average 10 or so rounds a month, so I figure I have about 50 rounds left this year, 80 next year and so on each year. I feel that if I continue to improve the way I have this year or even at half the pace I should be able to come close on most of these.

Eventual goal is to become a 5 or better handicap.

Jimmi

Goals are always changing. I started about 6 years ago and have gotten seriously Hooke in the last 2-3. At first it was to break 100. Then 90. Then 80. Those goals have been met and replaced with new ones. The problem I'm finding is that as the bar gets set higher, so does the difficulty of attaining. I'm carrying roughly a 12 index right now, yet I've only broken 80 3 times. That's a whole lot of 81s, 82s, etc. I would say getting the index down to a single digit is definitely a goal, but I've also set some smaller, swing related goals - better lag, ability to work the ball with more control, get my moment of impact more forward, become a short game baller and such. The improvements you see as an 18+ are awesome and rewarding. As are my current improvements, but the frustration level gets higher as well.

Originally Posted by JimmiJones

I worked in the pro shop of my local country club for 6+ years in my youth, never played more than three times a year, I was a basketball/football kid.

Now I am almost 40 and a member of that club taking golf seriously for the first time in my life. 2013 is the first year I have played more than 10 rounds.

I had the goal to break 100 this year, I have accomplished this, I shot 88 and 89 this week. So my new goal is to shoot 86>=<94 for the rest of the season. I also want to get my nerves under control to the point where I don't top or shank any shots in a round. I average two topped drives and a couple of shanks a round.

My goals for next year are to get myself a handicap and be comfortable enough to play a couple of tournaments. Shoot under 83 regularly by the end of the season. Start playing with a driver, right now I hit my 3 wood 235-240 into the fairway off the tee and the driver 260 with a nasty slice that ends up in the next fairway, so I leave the driver in my trunk. Stop leaving puts 6" short. Get fit for and purchase my own set of irons. Using a loaner set of ping eye2 black dot, +2" rifle stiffs right now.

The next year I want to start shooting under 80. Start to regularly birdie #2, #12, and #18.

Our season plays from early/mid March until early/mid November most years and I average 10 or so rounds a month, so I figure I have about 50 rounds left this year, 80 next year and so on each year. I feel that if I continue to improve the way I have this year or even at half the pace I should be able to come close on most of these.

Eventual goal is to become a 5 or better handicap.

Jimmi

Damn those are some goals - if you are serious you have a lot of work to do! good luck.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Originally Posted by eich41

If that's your goal I have two comments:

1) You're going to have to be able to shoot consistently in the low 70's on the courses and setups you are most likely playing on now.

2)  I wouldn't be posting on the internet, using my name as my screen name, and using an avatar of (presumably) my underage self drinking a beer.

Even though it's commonplace to drink a lot while in college any college golf coach is going to probably pass on a prospective recruit if there are signs that there could be off the course issues during your 4+ years under their watch.

i laughed, i moved on, i went back to it and laughed again! the kid can't change it fast enough...LOL i know was stupid as a kid it is probably good Al Gore hadn't yet invented the internet!!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Just cleared a near term goal - (hope I can maintain that)

so new goal:

find a course with a decent cart served Bloody Mary

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Lefty-Golfer

Damn those are some goals - if you are serious you have a lot of work to do! good luck.

I am serious. I also don't own any stone tablets or chisels and as such I will continually reevaluate my goals at the beginning of each season. I feel like it is important to have some that are obtainable, some that are obtainable but a real stretch and some that are worked on over a multi-year arc.

Started breaking 90 and 85 during the spring, had a major relapse recently. As a result my short term goals are to stop gripping my clubs so hard and focus on the simple stuff. Just bought a house in the county over, so my next goal is to learn some new courses :).

Overall goal for golf is to become a scratch player. I feel like at this point, you've "beaten" the game of golf.

Goal for this season is to break 85. I have a solid swing and good length, but like Mr. McIlroy my misses cost me dearly.

Note: This thread is 3617 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!