IGNORED

Hitting into a Net

iacas
Note: This thread is 2465 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My understanding is that P3Proswing is slightly better than the optishot (from a sensor point of view not cost or maybe courses). The GSA Advanced Golf Simulators stuff looks good (hit off fiber built not rubber) also but it is a lot more money. Their web site is always truly wretched.....

Originally Posted by TheGeekGolfer

I've never tried this and am seriously considering getting a net setup in my garage and hit into it over the winter months so I can groove my swing and ball contact.  I read about some of the 'northern' golfers (I think Mike Wier comes to mind) doing this and it intrigues me.  Time to start researching the Optishot.

I understand and agree with the benefits of using a net.  The discussion made me wonder if using the limited flight golf balls (wiffle golf balls) is as good or even a better alternative to a net to practice with at home?

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I understand and agree with the benefits of using a net.  The discussion made me wonder if using the limited flight golf balls (wiffle golf balls) is as good or even a better alternative to a net to practice with at home?

I don't think so. Your brain knows it's not a real golf ball.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Just be careful that you're working on something correct. Just "grooving" a bad swing will, as you know, just groove a bad swing! :-) (Not a commentary on your swing... I don't recall having seen it.)

Yeah...I haven't posted my swing, yet.  Need to get that done and see if what I feel is what I see.

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

Being fortunate enough to have an indoor bay at work (which is at TrackMan), I must say it's an excellent way of making swing changes. We have a pro which from time to time gives a lesson - and being able to incorporate his suggested swing changes is (for me) so much easier when there's only the swing to think about.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that I would do it without some kind of launch monitor which can tell you information about the swing.

We also have a high-speed cam, and when you combine it all - indoor+TrackMan+video+occasional lesson = great

Andreas

If you are hitting it more solid then are you improving?  I have a net and I have been using it for about 2 weeks.  I've video taped myself (well my wife has) on my phone, nothing high speed, but I can get a good view of if I'm coming over it, swing plane, length of swing.  I can see my swing fault and why I am missing it off the toe (and have forever).

So back to my question.  I know that my hitch at the top club moving/hands moving is related to my hitting it off the toe.  It makes perfect sense to me.  It is a reaction that my subconscious makes to not shank it so I over do the correction.

Would you say (anyone) that better contact is a symptom of a better move?  That is the one thing I can judge hitting into a net, well that and I can feel if I pushed it, pulled it, over hooked it.

Also, how do you take the changes to the course.  That is a big problem I have.  My swing here at my house is so much better than on the course.

Brian

Originally Posted by Leftygolfer

If you are hitting it more solid then are you improving?  I have a net and I have been using it for about 2 weeks.  I've video taped myself (well my wife has) on my phone, nothing high speed, but I can get a good view of if I'm coming over it, swing plane, length of swing.  I can see my swing fault and why I am missing it off the toe (and have forever).

So back to my question.  I know that my hitch at the top club moving/hands moving is related to my hitting it off the toe.  It makes perfect sense to me.  It is a reaction that my subconscious makes to not shank it so I over do the correction.

Would you say (anyone) that better contact is a symptom of a better move?  That is the one thing I can judge hitting into a net, well that and I can feel if I pushed it, pulled it, over hooked it.

Also, how do you take the changes to the course.  That is a big problem I have.  My swing here at my house is so much better than on the course.

I'm a "picker" (I leave little to no divot at all - ever) and I actually am the opposite for some crazy reason. My ball striking is better on the course than it is at my range, but I believe that has a lot to do with the quality of our range. The grass area is just so damn beat up, it's unreal. There are grooves all over the place, literally like laying 100 coiled up hoses on the ground and covering them with a thin layer of soil and crab grass. The ground is so uneven that you can lay the golf ball down in the grooves of the ground and not be able to hit the ball 1 foot in front of you.

For this reason, I'm stuck hitting off the mats and I am really considering getting a net for home. I just wanted to comment quick and say I really appreciate everybody's input in regards to the net.

I think that hitting into nets has some advantages because I always feel like I'm trying to hit through the net and even though my focus is on the tree that I can see in the distance, that picture is brought in to just a few feet in front of me and I'm tryin to send momentum through the net out to my target in the distance.

Due to our northern Maine winters my break is 5 - 6 months. During the season I tend to spend more time coaching then being able to work on my own game so when I go out to play, I want to play. For the past couple of years I had kept my handicap around a 14 on average. This past winter I started recording my swing and researching it more. One advantage of being a music teacher is a I have a large music room and access to our gym. I bought those foam balls and a nice hitting mat and spent al winter working on mechanics and just focusing on swing improvements. Came out this year and gained about 30 yards with all my clubs and my handicap at the beginning of the season was a 12.9 and due to all my winter work helped me drop it down to a 6.9 and I did very little practice all summer. When working over the winter I just hit the foam balls into a cement wall so I really gained no feedback and was able to improve my game quite a bit and I plan to do the same this summer, especially now I have better recording software and even more understanding of my swing and what I need to do. It is definitely possible to greatly improve your game without seeing ball flights as long as you have a good understanding of the swing.

• 2 weeks later...

I find that my clients can make the biggest changes in their swing hitting into a net.  Initially, it is a lot easier to commit to a swing change when you are not worrying about ball flight.  After the change becomes more habit, then incorporate ball flight.

Stephan Kostelecky

Golf Instructor

Youtube

Originally Posted by sk golf

I find that my clients can make the biggest changes in their swing hitting into a net.  Initially, it is a lot easier to commit to a swing change when you are not worrying about ball flight.  After the change becomes more habit, then incorporate ball flight.

I couldn't agree more. However, I lost students when I worked at a driving range with the net 8 yards away. It was also harder for me to encourage students to come for lessons at that range. No matter how much I told them not to worry about the ball flight and commit to the change, there was always that doubt in their minds.

And before someone says anything, I was pleased to realise it wasn't me when they returned/came for lessons when I moved to a proper-sized range!

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

I just picked up a used net and mat a few months ago. This is the best investment I ever made .... perhaps even in 'cheapest' category as I bought an old used net and mat for $45.00.

I started golfing in the late 90's. After purchasing a Spalding Executive iron set, I have always played forged irons. Spalding Executive 5 iron broke on me from hitting the turf and practice mat a bit too hard :)

Playing with forged irons, I learned to 'feel the swing'. After a considerable amount of time, I could tell how the results of my swing by the feel of impact between the ball and the clubface.

I learned to play this way.

But I have been very very inconsistent as my swing is not exactly as graceful as Freddy Couples' ----- far from it....more like Arnie Palmer.

I made a commitment to myself that I will practice more, change my 'ugly' swing.... My goal for next year is to consistently shoot in the low 80's and break into the 70's evey now and then.

My achilles heel has always been my iron play. It could be so great one day and could also be outright dreadful the next few rounds.

The net....

I have changed my swing quite a bit to have a more repetitious, compact but simple swing. I videotape my swing and make the necessary corrections.

In regards to the ball flight, I think I am 90% correct as to predicting the ball flight again based on the 'feel' of the impact. When I play......I am really pretty dead on.

So the net has given me the benefits that I thought I will get....I have a great picture in my mind of what I need to do if I need to hit the ball with a draw or fade, low or high....

Plus, with hitting around 200 balls daily, I have gotten much stronger.

Again, this is the best investment I ever made.

Anumber of years ago I bought a nice 3D net and mats and stuffed them in a barn I had. That winter I hit balls 2/3 times a week.  I'm one that believes that you have a pretty good idea of where your shots went based on the feel of the impact.  I took the attitude of hey it's January in CT and I'm hitting balls.....I loved that practice range.  I would come out in April and be in mid season form.

I've put a lot of thought into putting a net in my garage, that will also be portable out in the yard during warmer weather, but what I've found in the stores seem very flimsy for the price. Especially when compared to the netting that they have at GolfTec. The netting they use is very tight, definitely doesn't look like a ball would go through it. Does anyone have a recommendation as to a really good net that's not going to break the bank? I'd like to keep the windows intact that are in my garage......

It's not who you are in life, but what you do and how you treat others that makes the difference.......

Originally Posted by sk golf

This is fine as long as there is a pro constantly observing the process. Without a competent supervisor one would propably do more harm than good by reinforcing incorrect swing paths.

Originally Posted by gfd66

I've put a lot of thought into putting a net in my garage, that will also be portable out in the yard during warmer weather, but what I've found in the stores seem very flimsy for the price. Especially when compared to the netting that they have at GolfTec. The netting they use is very tight, definitely doesn't look like a ball would go through it. Does anyone have a recommendation as to a really good net that's not going to break the bank? I'd like to keep the windows intact that are in my garage......

I've had a couple nets. First net was 8x10 outdoor.....I hit into that thing a lot when first got it....As many things after a month or so didn't use it for like a month. I stepped up and whomped a 4 iron and bam right thru the thing....I'm thinkin boy did I get strong....Whomp I plow another right thru it....All of a sudden my neighbor comes over the hill and screams What  The FFFF are you doing....I'm thinking the net dry rotted from being outside continuously and being rained on....Watch out for that if put outside!

Originally Posted by Ignorant

This is fine as long as there is a pro constantly observing the process. Without a competent supervisor one would propably do more harm than good by reinforcing incorrect swing paths.

Or doing so with a video camera.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Note: This thread is 2465 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!