IGNORED

Your 2012 Golf Goals - Official Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 4095 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My 2012 golf goals are to play a lot this summer... everyday if possible. And to get my handicap, which is around a 10 or so right now, down around 0-5, 5 at the very least...

I've been throwing away a handful of shots per round, every time I go out... just stupid mistakes where if I played more, they'd work themselves out of my system. Occasionally I stand over the ball and worry about not making good contact or hitting a bad shot as well, so improving my confidence would be good too. Still I don't find it too hard to get into a groove, where I'm stringing together pars and whatnot. Earlier this year, I nearly strung together 4 birdies in a row, and carded my first under-par nine, 3 birdies, 2 bogeys, and the rest pars, so I know I am capable of playing better golf, I just need to put in some genuine time. Hoping to earn a spot on a college golf team sometime in the near future...

Really I just hope to give myself a real chance at improvement this year, especially having not played at all last year. I had forgotten how enjoyable the game is...

MY GEAR:

Driver/Woods/Hybrids: RBZ Tour

Irons: X Forged 2013's

Wedges: SM4's (52/56)

Putter: PROTYPE Series

Balls: HEX Black Tour/Chrome +  Pro V1x/NXT Tour

Originally Posted by moparman426

Improve my putting, and get to at least a 12 index (17 official/14 unofficial).

Well, since I let my Golf Canada membership lapse, I have no access to last years games played, and no longer have an official golf handicap, or even an accurate way of determining the reduction from last year.  After compiling my 9 hole rounds played with my 18 hole rounds played for a total of 5 completed rounds, this year's HC is looking good, indeed.  It's 8.5 right now, but all of my rounds have been played on my local easy course which is 67.9/104.  I expect it to climb back up a bit after I start visiting more difficult courses.  Not letting my swing go stale over the winter has been a big help, but I am nailing down my club selection much easier this year with the GPS app for my phone, instead of guessing at distances.

GIR is at 43.3%

FW hit 61.34%

Putts 1.91/hole

51 scrambles - 35% par or better/ 65% bogey or worse.

One thing I am having an issue with is my 60 degree around 50-60 yards...... it's killing me having to double chip inside those distances.  Last year it was my favorite wedge.  The last two rounds I played, I used the 52 instead and had much better results, but I am still having an issue with too much roll-out.  Maybe as the greens grow in more, it'll slow down a bit, I hope....

Make 36 great swings in a single round.  Almost 1/4 the way there.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Short Term Goals:

1. Get back on the golf course (when i get home from deployment)

2. 15-20 hours a week practicing and getting back into the groove where i was when i left

3. Play once a week (at least)

Long Term Goals:

1. Break my lowest round record (72 at Sea and Air Golf Course, Coronado, San Diego, CA)

2. Become more efficient out of bunkers (my major downfall on the course)

3. No-Three putts for 2 consecutive rounds

These are my goals for the year, some may take longer than others, but this is a short list of the goals that i intend to accomplish!

Originally Posted by JonDavis

My philosophy to self-improvement right now is the following:

-Reach green in no greater strokes than 1 over regulation

-Consistently 1-chip on (if at all) and 2-putt.

This should lead me to realizing my overall score goal which is to break 108. (double bogey golf)

Also- I tend to have trouble on the back nine. I have played a round where I scored a 53 on the front, but then botched the back 9 to hell and ended up with a 120. I would like to work on improving my consistency through a round of 18.

Well, I don't know how many people will see this (if any) but I'm very happy to say that I shot 108 yesterday from the blue tees.

I hit double bogey or better on 72% of holes.

My putting was 2.22 putts per hole.

I reached the green in regulation +1 on 27% of holes. (this is where i could use a little improvement)

I escaped the three bunkers I found in one shot each.

I never found water, though there is plenty of water to be found on this course.

I'm pretty happy, but I don't want to be disappointed when I go out next time and shoot over 110. I'm just going to soak it up and try to start playing better consistently.

• Upvote 1

• Shoot in the 70's
  • Work on my short game, <120 yards
  • Work on my sand saves
  • Have an average of 1.8 putts per hole over 10 rounds
  • Get my handicap to single digits

Driver: Ping i15, 3 Wood: Ping i15, Irons: Mizuno MP-53, Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11, Cleveland CG15, Putter: Ping iN Anser V2

• 3 weeks later...

Just started last summer, and I shoot in the 90's. Lately, I have been hitting 45's and 90's like crazy but haven't broken that barrier yet (only played 7 rounds so far) so I am going to work on consistently shooting in the 80's. I also would like to go at least one round without 3 putting (since I usually have 1 or 2 each round), though my putt per hole average is about 1.8 which I am happy about since it is a big improvement from last year

Originally Posted by Eleven

2011 was almost a year off for me. I really got back into golf around 09 I think, and hacked my way around the 110's. Last spring I started working on losing weight, I am 45, 5'10" and weighed about 210. Most of the good weather last year was spent with my son's hockey team, participating in their dry-land workouts. I bet I only golfed 6 times last year. I'm down to the low 100's and broke 100 a few times last year.

So for 2012:

1. Get in better shape. I've lost weight (down to 170 now) but I'm out of shape. I workout 3-4 days a week now, slowly building strength.

2. Golf more. Golfing so little last year did nothing for my game.

3. Stay below 100 consistently

4. Drink less alcohol on the course (This should be #1)

5. Walk more, use the cart less.

It's early in the year but:

1: I'm definitely in better shape now than just a couple months ago.

2: My course sent me a "previous members trial card" where I can golf from March 15 through May 15 for 3 bucks a round, I've been out more than a dozen times so far.

3: I've only shot over 100 a couple of times, I'm in the mid to high 90s now.

4: I've had NO alcohol on the course so far this year, and I plan on keeping it that way.

5: I haven't used a cart yet, every round has either been carrying or pulling, and I think it's helped my game as well.

Next stop, low 90s, then breaking into the 80s. I may not get there before the summer is up, but by this time next year I can see it. I shot 89 once this year.

Drop from Shooting in the 90's to the 80's by hitting more greens in reg.

Also, getting in more quality practice and finding an instructor to build on my S&T; fundamentals.

I am OK off the tee and am putting around 32-35 putts per round, which I can also reduce.

I believe this will get me there which in turn will drop my hcp from 20 down to the high teens.

All of this on a tight budget...

My goals are simple.

To play more and to become better.

Shooting 105 consistently would like to break 90 in the next month or two.

The putter is coming around finally lots of heart break last year with it.

Get my touch back with my wedges. I am like a babe in the woods all the sudden.

Finally to be able to hit a DRIVER again. It's not even allowed in my bag right not. She can't act right. lol

Originally Posted by Jimdangles

Hard to say with just a number. my best score is an 88 and its been less than a year but i imagine now that ive just quit duffing these are the hard strokes to cut off but ive been working on my putting where i have recently had a huge problem out of nowhere. im gonna shoot for 70's but id also like to play that draw with my driver. i can do it sometimes but when it doesnt work its a dirty snap hook that just leaves me screwed. But have hit it so sweet and far before i want it so bad.

Just had a new best round of 82 and have been breaking 90 often. I will hit 70's this year and I'd like to get my handicap to under 10. I'm hoping to break 80 by the time ive been playing for a year which is roughly June 25, 2011 was my first ever round of golf. I got a month to do it.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

1. Break 85

2. Hit more fairways

3. Hit more GIRs

4. Stop getting angry at myself on bad shots

:tmade: SLDR 12* :ping: G20 4W :adams: Speedline Super S 4H :mizuno: JPX-825 Pro 4-G :tmade: ATV 56* & 60* :cameron: 2014 Select Newport or 1997 Teryllium 3 Newport

Note: This thread is 4095 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!