IGNORED

My Swing (The_Pharaoh)

The_Pharaoh
Note: This thread is 4420 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by canadianpro

Even better, use your video camera (Love my Casio FH-25). For those who may not know, you don't necessarily need to lug a tripod...just get a camera clamp mount ..it attaches to just about anything, (bag, bagstand etc.) and you get instant feedback...and better video if you are swinging slower

This is how I'm practicing my swing changes. I only hit 30 balls a day, but I video every single one of them. It takes me 2-3 hours to get through them as I spend a lot of my range time doing practice swings without a ball. I even video my practice swings! I prefer to rely on what I see on the video than on the ball flight as it often lies to you. I'm just trying to get into certain positions and not worry about the ball at all. If I get into the correct positions the ball flight will take care of itself.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Miles Jackson

Gotta agree with John Jacobs on this one: your ball flight never lies to you.

That's great except the ball flight lied to John Jacobs: he thought club path determined start line.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Miles Jackson

Gotta agree with John Jacobs on this one: your ball flight never lies to you.

To me, there are 2 kinds of practice, working on the swing and practicing to play.  When we're working on improving positions that's when you need to not worry about what the ball is doing.  Obviously we want to pure every shot but when you're changing motions that you've been doing for years and the new motion feels much different, you'll run into some sequencing issues.  Basically your body isn't use to the changes yet and still kicks in some of the "old" compensations.  Got to put in lots of reps and exaggerate feels to start and change the picture.

And John Jacobs didn't know the ball flight laws

EDIT: Erik beat me to it

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

The 20 handicap maybe a huge exaggeration but, I know I hit shots I normally don't like fat, thin, and the occassional shank.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

I think anyone watching you hit at least 5 balls will know you are a fine player and not a 20 handicapper. Hitting shanks, tops etc. while working on something is perfectly normal.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Erik's latest

http://thesandtrap.com/t/54840/simple-specific-slow-short-and-success-the-five-s-s-of-great-practice

Mike McLoughlin

Working on hinging the wrists up quicker, left shoulder down/right shoulder up and shortening the backswing. Awful shot but happy with what I was working on!

• 2 months later...

Taken the other day. I am now hitting the ball well, even though I still have quite a few things to keep working on (weaker grip, shorten backswing, keep left shoulder down for longer in the downswing in order not to uncock my wrists prematurely to name three).

Yeah, very nice, much more ballistic through impact.  I can see why you shot 69 last week

Mike McLoughlin

Originally Posted by mvmac

Yeah, very nice, much more ballistic through impact.  I can see why you shot 69 last week

And I am very grateful to you for all your help getting me to this stage!

Wow, I really like reading through this thread and seeing the progress that you made. I thought the video you made during Christmas time and the recent videos were great. Your swing is definitely a 100% improved. I can tell that your swing is more of an outside in swing rather than the old inside out swing that you had.

Originally Posted by stricklerlee

Wow, I really like reading through this thread and seeing the progress that you made. I thought the video you made during Christmas time and the recent videos were great. Your swing is definitely a 100% improved. I can tell that your swing is more of an outside in swing rather than the old inside out swing that you had.

Thanks for your kind words, stricklerlee! I am delighted with the changes I have made ... and making.

There are still a lot of things I want to improve, but at least now I have a more solid swing. I don't even need to hit so many balls these days to maintain decent impact, something I have struggled with all my life.

Note: This thread is 4420 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!