IGNORED

new 3 wood advice. what do you play and why?

Note: This thread is 6214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just took my 3 wood in to get it reshafted. I've this club for 5-6 years and love it!! It my most consistant club off the tee. But the fitter took a close look at it and noticed I've dented the face of the club right where I strike the ball. Anyway, now I need a new 3 wood, and I'm looking for advice. There aren't too many good proshops in Montana to go try them out.

I'm looking for something that I can hit low and work the ball. My old club was a cobra steel head and I could ht it low, high, draw, fade. It was an easy club to work. Any suggestions for a new one?

In The Bag

Driver R7 SuperQuad 8.5 Xstiff
5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

I have always struggled being consistent with a 3W off the deck. I bought a Ping Rapture 3W last November and love it. It sets up well and the ball explodes off of the face. If you demo several clubs, definiately swing this one - I have the Proto By-you shaft (stiff).

In the Bag -

425 Stiff
Rapture 3W
Rescue 16 D X18 Irons 50 & 56 Putter ProV1

I have been throwing around the idea of adding the Titleist 906F2 3-wood to my bag. I currently have the 904F. Its just a thought though. But you can do so much with the 906F2. It has a very clean look to it. You can work the wall what ever which way you want with ease. It doesn't look all big and clunky. Great off the Tee as well as turf alike. You shouldn't have any problems with getting the ball off the ground with this one.

907D2 9.5º Proforce V2 85 Stiff
904F 15º stiff Speeder Shaft
735.CM Chrome 2-P
Spin-Milled Vokeys Tour Chrome 54.10/60.04
Studio Style Newport 2.5 Black X66 Stand Bag Pro V1

Thanks for the input so far. I definitely don't want anything oversized. Also, I don't really ever hit it off the deck. Unless I top my drive, I never have a need for hitting a 3 wood into the greens. So I'm mainly looking for something I can work off the tee. I hit a nice draw with my driver but have trouble hitting a consistant fade. I use the three wood for holes that require a more precise tee shot.

In The Bag

5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

I have the 2006 version of the Cleveland Launcher. I always struggled with a 3 wood until I got the original Laucher and hit that great. Recently upgraded to the newer version. A little more springy at impact and I like the smaller head and low profile. Easy to hit off the ground or tee.

I also don't think you can go wrong with Callaway, cept maybe the new Big Bertha... at 200 cc's for me that's too big. Callaway X is a great fairway wood, and you can get the older Steelhead's, which are classics now for cheap on ebay. The 2004 Big Bertha's are closed out now and you might get a good deal on that one as well.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I play a Sonartec ss3.5 with a fujikura tour platform and love the club easy to work the ball with great club. I suggest you try the club if you get a chance.

Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can find a place to demo one around here. I'm going to Maui next month and I'll get a chance to demo most anything at Kapalua so that's probably when I'll make up my mind.

In The Bag

5 Wd SQ X stiff steel

Note: This thread is 6214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!