IGNORED

Harvey Pennick Is Truly Golf's Greatest Teacher

Note: This thread is 6206 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just wanted to tell everyone who is posting in here with their various swing problems to red Harvey Pennick's Little Red Book. That book took 10 strokes off my game first time out after reading it.

He breaks everything down so simple it makes you wonder why you didn't think of these things first.

In The Bag
SQ 5000 10.5

SQ Sumo 3 wood
MP-32 3-PWGolden Bear Gap Wedge SV Sand Wedge MP T Lob WedgeYes Golf Callie Putter

I just wanted to tell everyone who is posting in here with their various swing problems to red Harvey Pennick's Little Red Book. That book took 10 strokes off my game first time out after reading it.

Don't worry TarDawg...nobody here will do that. Fact is, if most of them did read Pennick's teaching in the Little Red OR Green book, they would find it TOO simplistic and say that it doesn't give enough information. They'd rather fill their heads with gobbledeegook that revolves around angles, positions, and planes to make themselves think they learned something and can then espouse this knowledge to others and screw them up through misinterpretation.

Right on Bro....

Where can I get my hands on this book?

In The Bag

Driver R7 SuperQuad 8.5 Xstiff
5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

Where can I get my hands on this book?

I just went to my local bookstore (i.e. barnes and noble or borders) It's in the golf section. He has 2 other books that are very good also.

In The Bag
SQ 5000 10.5

SQ Sumo 3 wood
MP-32 3-PWGolden Bear Gap Wedge SV Sand Wedge MP T Lob WedgeYes Golf Callie Putter

I just went to my local bookstore (i.e. barnes and noble or borders) It's in the golf section. He has 2 other books that are very good also.

Actually Harvey collaborated with Bud Shrake to write 4 books. The final one, "The Game for a Lifetime", was actually published after his death, although most of it was pretty much finished when Harvey passed away.

I've read that one and "The Little Red Book". He must have been a fascinating man to know and talk to. I'd give just about anything to take lessons from a teacher like him.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

All 4 were on the shelf at the Barnes and Noble here 2 months ago. I never looked that closely before, but it appears that the real title of the green book is "And If You Play Golf, You're My Friend". Just checked B&N; online and all 4 books are there.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

All 4 were on the shelf at the Barnes and Noble here 2 months ago. I never looked that closely before, but it appears that the real title of the green book is "And If You Play Golf, You're My Friend". Just checked B&N; online and all 4 books are there.

I found a few of them up for auction on ebay. I just ordered one!!

In The Bag

Driver R7 SuperQuad 8.5 Xstiff
5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

I'm reading the LRB for the second time right now. His idea about returning the right elbow to the ribs made a _huge_ difference for me, and it was one of the simplest swing changes ever.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

I agree with you 100%....this is an amazing book. I just bought another copy (at Golf Galaxy) and have read it cover to cover for the 2nd time. This book literally provides DECADES of experience, observation & knowledge about golf & the golf swing.

This is clearly a MUST READ for anyone that hasn't gotten a copy...and a fun read at the same time (lot's of tid bits about his relationships with golfers, PGA and otherwise).

In my bag...
DRIVER: TaylorMade R5, 9.5
HYBRID: Halo 2i
IRONS: FTX
WEDGES: 52, 56, Izett 60PUTTER: Cameron Circa 62 #3

My mother in law got me the Harvey Penick Collection for Christmas four years ago. All four books are in it, leather bound with gold gilded edges. They are beautiful. I read all four, and I still go back to them when I am struggling with something. I really get a lot out of his teachings but the books are not for everyone. I am a feel player and so his observations make sense to me. If you are really technical and like talking about swing planes and angles and whatnot, then you won't get much out of them. Technical swing guys are best served sticking to Ledbetter or Harmon.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

My mother in law got me the Harvey Penick Collection for Christmas four years ago. All four books are in it, leather bound with gold gilded edges. They are beautiful. I read all four, and I still go back to them when I am struggling with something. I really get a lot out of his teachings but the books are not for everyone. I am a feel player and so his observations make sense to me. If you are really technical and like talking about swing planes and angles and whatnot, then you won't get much out of them. Technical swing guys are best served sticking to Ledbetter or Harmon.

+1 I'm a feel player too and book serves me well. I just picked it up last week and the single biggest change is my attitude tword the game. I feel more relaxed and have the affirmation that I need to do what works for me.

hammerTyme();
stop();

Totally Agree.

I read it all the time just to keep in a nice relaxed frame of mind.

If you have a VCR (or your computer plays either VCDs or multi-region DVDs) hunt around on ebay for the Little Red Video (or DVD in the UK).

Cant say enough about it. Tom Kite and Ben Crenshaw demonstrate most of the routines and its narrated by none other than Dave Marr!

Great stuff

bridgestone j33r 460 V2 75 Stiff
HiBore Fairway 15 V2 75 Stiff
hybrid HiBore19 S300
bridgestone j33b 3-PW S300
Vokey 52 GP Vokey 58 LWyes sophia Putter 33Titleist v1x - bridgestone B330Home Course: Bethpage

I loved the littel red book, but I thik I enjoyed if you golf your my friend more
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

Note: This thread is 6206 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!