• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Golfs-for-Fun

Epoxy question.

10 posts in this topic

I recently built a set of fairway woods.

When I was in Golfsmith getting the tools and things, I was going  to buy the  24 hour cure epoxy but the sales guy told me to get the 30/60 sort that cures/dries in about an hour, apparently. It cost the same ($10) so I know it wasnt just a sales pitch or anything, and he said thats all they use there, but I wonder about the strength of an epoxy that sets that quickly.

Has anyone used the 30/60 type and had a problem with heads coming off ?

When I built a set of irons back in the 90's I used the 24 hour stuff and those clubs are still around. Im half wondering if I should just buy the same 24 hour stuff again and keep it on hand for when these heads to end up flying off or if Im worrying myself for nothing.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I won't claim to have a ton of experience here, but I have the 30/90 stuff.  I always let the epoxy cure for 24 hours before I use it however.  I've only built about 125 or so clubs for friends/family thus far mind you.

My club builder let me watch him build, apparently he had an epoxy that was even faster than 30/60, not that I wanted to take my driver out and hit it afterwards anyway being paranoid and all about it.

Made a slight mistake on mine, this is what I'm using.  12 minute gel time, 60/90 cure. Like I said though I let it cure a full 24 hours before I hit the clubs.

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_PSB4_A_cn_E_33

Thanks for the link. I think that answers my question.

Id rather have to go find my clubhead and re epoxy it on rather than get to a point where I need to remove it from the shaft and have to do more than just heat it up to get it off.

Hopefully these dont fall off. The epoxy did get a lot of good reviews, but a couple guys said their heads did end up flying off. So I guess its a trade off.

My first guess when a head comes off (assuming a non-fast-curing epoxy was used) is that the shaft tip wasn't prepped properly - especially when it comes to steel shafts.

Maybe stay away from par 3 water carry holes for the first few swings though.

Originally Posted by bradsul

My first guess when a head comes off (assuming a non-fast-curing epoxy was used) is that the shaft tip wasn't prepped properly - especially when it comes to steel shafts.

Maybe stay away from par 3 water carry holes for the first few swings though.

I definitely made sure to follow the directions to the letter. I did what it showed to do with the shafts. I guess its possible that the two reviews I read about the head coming off was someone who didnt get the shaft roughed up enough for the epoxy to adhere to it well enough.

Thankfully the course I play doesnt have much water and definitely none within range of the tee where the head could make it that far if it did come off.  :)

A veteran club builder said he had used the quick-cure epoxy for years with no problems. His corporation, however, mandated that their club smiths switch to the 24-hour variety. Some customers may think the 24-hour method is "better," even if it isn't.

Awards and Achievements

I like to keep it simple. 50/50, beaded, 24 hr. NEVER a failure.