IGNORED

Can I Make the tour??

mjbond23
Note: This thread is 2540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't think Larry was ever that high. I thought he broke 90 the first time he went out. To be fair he had been hitting the driving range a bit before then.....

Originally Posted by sean_miller

. . . Larry Nelso. . .

lol does seem that way to be honest i was hoping there was some pros on here

There are indeed pros on here, but they're going to tell you a) that you need to be a solid + index to even have a chance b) that going from ~22 to 0.9 in a year is very impressive c) but they still can't judge your potential very well based just on that Sounds like you have a lot of potential. Got any videos of your swing?

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I'd love to see some video of your swing...

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by walk18

Just look at his avatar. If you can get into a position like that, yeah, you're going pro.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. We could nick pick at that avatar for ages, pointing out several different "faults", but really as has been pointed out its scores on the doors at tough tournaments that matter.

Going Pro- What does that mean? There's well over 100,000 registered Pro's just in the USA.  Making it on the PGA Tour is a whole nuther animal.  It's more about independent financial ability then anything else.....assuming you have the pedigree. And without arguement we'll give a pass on that.  App for Q school.  Go thru the locals.....Get Er Done.  There's only 10,000 others that have your same aspiration.  Without exceptional playing abilities, tournament hardened nerves and deep pockets or sponsors......Very Long Shot. End of January 41,000 PGA Members will be in Orlando....

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk18 View Post

Just look at his avatar. If you can get into a position like that, yeah, you're going pro.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. We could nick pick at that avatar for ages, pointing out several different "faults", but really as has been pointed out its scores on the doors at tough tournaments that matter.

yeah it was just a lighthearted comment to a thread that seems suspect at best.

Originally Posted by FLOG4

There's well over 100,000 registered Pro's just in the USA...

The PGA's web site (http://www.pga.com/pga-america) states there are about 28,000 men and women PGA professionals.

Bill

Mbomd I am a PGA golf professional and I will back up the previous post. I will also say that is you legitimately went from 22 to a 1 in that time frame you have a tremendous opportunity. What other sports have you played? I would get a good mental coach and practice the shit out of your short game. Good luck to you.

Happy Gilmore was a Hack!

Only 28,000 and yet over 41,000 attending their convention in January. I just figured with 20,000 golf courses and about 10,000 driving ranges and various other golf teaching enterprises an aggregate amount in excess of 100,000 was appropriate.My mistake.  I guessed.  The point is still that there are a lot of very good and informed players and ultimately in any given year only 200 or so get a chance to play in a PGA Golf Tournament.  It is very competitive. As best I could I'm depicting the competitiveness.

Originally Posted by FLOG4

Only 28,000 and yet over 41,000 attending their convention in January. I just figured with 20,000 golf courses and about 10,000 driving ranges and various other golf teaching enterprises an aggregate amount in excess of 100,000 was appropriate.My mistake.  I guessed.  The point is still that there are a lot of very good and informed players and ultimately in any given year only 200 or so get a chance to play in a PGA Golf Tournament.  It is very competitive. As best I could I'm depicting the competitiveness.

No worries, your point is still valid of course.

(Re. the 41,000 predicted for Orlando, that's a merchandise show so there will be lots of non-PGA pros there: vendors, sales people, manufacturers, administrators, golf course superintendents, etc.)

Bill

Well, if you throw in the number of ex-professionals or non-PGA the number is much greater. I know more people that were in the business that aren't anymore due to many factors, most of them linked to career opportunities, benefits (ie retirement, insurance), long hours, etc.  For the non-PGAs, you can figure that anyone who declares themselves professional and plays in that fashion is technically a pro until they apply for reinstatement of amateur status.

Being in South Florida, scratch is a dime a dozen and really doesn't mean anything when it comes to playing on tour and some of these guys are pro and some are insurance salesmen, leos, school staffers, bankers, attorneys, etc.  They would all give a testicle up for a tour spot. The point is the Tour is a very elite group.  At a fifteen handicap, one is closer to scratch than scratch is to the PGA Tour.

My advice would be to play some mini-tour events (you can declare professional if you wish) or some am events and see how you do. It will give you an idea on how good you are and more importantly, how good the guys you are playing against are who have been trying to make it to the next level of mini-tour golf.

• Upvote 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

Being in South Florida, scratch is a dime a dozen and really doesn't mean anything when it comes to playing on tour and some of these guys are pro and some are insurance salesmen, leos, school staffers, bankers, attorneys, etc.  They would all give a testicle up for a tour spot. The point is the Tour is a very elite group.  At a fifteen handicap, one is closer to scratch than scratch is to the PGA Tour.

This is a point that many, many people never think of when they dream of playing on tour.  My friends and I have all talked about being scratch, being a pro, etc...and we are usually thinking about the people in our area.  Most of the guys around here that are scratch, are scratch on their home course and it varies when they venture off to other courses. I personally know about 5 people that are TRULY scratch and MAYBE a +1.   But that is in my area.  You take places like Florida, South Carolina, California, etc....that number gets MUCH, MUCH higher from talking with other people. It's just a different atmosphere.   You take the number of scratch to + players in my area versus those areas and the numbers are drastically different.  So, while many people can put themselves in the top tier of their area's best players, you start to fall way down the ranks once you have to put the rest of the country in the mix.

• Upvote 1

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I have played rugby and Aussie Rules at a High level i just have recently hired Ian Triggs As my coach and have increased Training to 8hrs a day thanks for you post

Originally Posted by ilikefishes

Mbomd I am a PGA golf professional and I will back up the previous post. I will also say that is you legitimately went from 22 to a 1 in that time frame you have a tremendous opportunity. What other sports have you played? I would get a good mental coach and practice the shit out of your short game. Good luck to you.

Thanks its guys like you that make me want it even more cheers mate

Originally Posted by walk18

yeah it was just a lighthearted comment to a thread that seems suspect at best.

• 1 year later...
Hey guys ... I took all that was said ... So here is an update. I have continues to work hard on my game and play a lot more tournements, My coach Ian triggs and I are happy with where my games is at and heading , I will be attending qschool for the Australia, one Asia , Asian and Canadian tour starting in dec this year... Thank you

Hey guys ... I took all that was said ... So here is an update. I have continues to work hard on my game and play a lot more tournements, My coach Ian triggs and I are happy with where my games is at and heading , I will be attending qschool for the Australia, one Asia , Asian and Canadian tour starting in dec this year... Thank you

Nice to hear the update. Can you give us some specifics in terms of tournaments played and how you finished in them? Thanks!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 2540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!