IGNORED

My Swing (Ernest Jones)

Ernest Jones
Note: This thread is 2889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Noticed I was consistently under plane at A2 so I started playing around with earlier wrist cock, trying to feel like I'm hinging the club straight up as I turn. Really liked the results on film, gonna post some stills after the Masters. Unless I'm too drunk.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A1-A7 still images. Worked on hinging up faster and completely changed my picture!

A1

The next two are on the way up to A2. Call 'em A1.5 and A1.7 I've included them because I really like the way my hands, club head and shaft trace the plane line back to A2.

I can see my clubhead getting under plane on the left but online on the right.

A2

A3. Shaft a little steeper on the right, on the elbow plane.

A4. I don't know what this means but look at the difference in my wrist set at the top.

A5 coming down. Shaft is shallower on the left, I think that's a good thing and suspect I want it even shallower.

A6. Kinda blurry here but also probably the best I've ever looked at A6.

Impact.

I'm happy with this discovery and think it's a move in the right direction.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

A4. I don't know what this means but look at the difference in my wrist set at the top.

I don't know about any of the rest of it, but this pic on the left looks really good to me.  (Don't read too much into that though, cuz I don't know s**t)

Yeah, I like the way my wrists look on the left too, unfortunately I don't like the way things look on the way up to that position or on the way back down. But then again, I don't know sh*t either which is why I sent my crap a$$ swing in to the professionals to take a look at!

Made a typo/brainfart above, at A5 it's the shaft on the right that is shallower. Anyway, the pics with the red lines are the after pictures with the quicker hinging.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Just got my first Evolvr lesson. Really happy with it, my teacher has me working on Key #4 which was a surprise to me, never even considered that as my priority. Just goes to show that, "you don't know what you don't know!"

Anyway my homework is to work on shallowing out my shaft on the downswing so it bisects my bicep instead of my shoulder and to swing out to right field. I went to an indoor range this morning and hit a crap load of balls working on this. It feels like I'm looping a bit (is that a normal feel?) but I can't argue with the results so far. My issue prior to the lesson was low hooky shots and while I still hit a handful of those (mostly from being too rushed or not committing) I also hit some 6 irons that can only be described as TOWERING! Hit some big high pushes, some relatively straight ones (also nice and high) and some nice big high pushes the drew back to target nicely.

I also got some good feedback on the wrist hinging experiment and a caution not to overdo it, unfortunately I got that message after the range and reviewing video of my range session definitely shows that I am already overdoing that. My backswing was way too vertical and all the effort I put into shallowing it just kinda brought it back to were it normally (too steep) was. I'll be dropping that piece for now and strictly adhering to my teachers instructions from here on in.

All in all, even with my errors in going back too steep I really liked what was happening on the range and can't wait to work some more on it.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Really happy with this image. I know the camera angles are a little off but I've definitely knocked 10*-15* off of that shaft angle coming into A6.Of course I totally thinned the crap out of that ball, borderline whiff LOL but I'm still happy as I've managed to get the shaft where I want it. It's far from ingrained and I have to work really hard to make it happen but it IS starting to happen!

• Upvote 2

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Thanks Beach. Reading through the pitch elbow thread right now, I think that's a good place for me to be right now ;-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Praise The Lord and pass the ammunition, the range is finally open. I swear if I had to take one more sawed off half swing with an amputated follow through in that god damn basement I was gonna crack! I'm FREE!!! A ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!! Hallelujah.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

So in my continuing quest to get shallower on the DS I've moved away from the "loop/drop the arms" feel because it was just too...well...loopy feeling. Now I'm working with the feeling of the club getting heavier in transition and laying down on PP3. So far I like the results. On video the difference is subtle but the loopy feeling is gone so I think I'll keep working with this and try to incorporate a little more elbow squeeze as well. I'm not getting quite as flat as with the loopy move but still obtaining around 50-55* from horizontal which feels pretty good and gives me lots of room to swing out to the right. Got a pile of video at the range today and will try to upload something when the wife's busy, she's a little fed up with my golf obsession :p

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Just got some more stuff to work on from my Evolvr coach. Banking the right foot and getting my hands a little more behind me, really like this one, resonates with me and while doing some slow motion stuff in my office I think it's going to work well. Going to drill it at home tonight and hit the range tomorrow after work.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Just got some more stuff to work on from my Evolvr coach. Banking the right foot and getting my hands a little more behind me, really like this one, resonates with me and while doing some slow motion stuff in my office I think it's going to work well. Going to drill it at home tonight and hit the range tomorrow after work.

Good stuff EJ! Looks like Evolvr is working out for you! Keep it up.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Good stuff EJ! Looks like Evolvr is working out for you! Keep it up.

Thank Bro. I'm still horrible and likely will be for a while but for once I feel like I have a legitimate chance to see real and lasting improvement. :-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Thank Bro. I'm still horrible and likely will be for a while but for once I feel like I have a legitimate chance to see real and lasting improvement.

I'm attempting the same thing you are, but you are making more progress. The shaft just doesn't want to lay off enough for me on the way down (and I've tried a lot of different things). One good thing is that in all of my attempts at a full swing with it I am really hitting the ball well. One bad thing is that I have no feedback at all during practice until I go back in the house and look at the videos. Several times I thought I had it just right but the video showed otherwise.

I almost wish I wasn't hitting the ball very well when I did it wrong so I would know to try to fix it on the next swing. Oh well. There's always tomorrow!

Thanks MS, but don't let the stills fool you, there is a heckuva lot of chaos happening between A4 and A6 that is conveniently not visible in those pics lol. My instructor has me working on my footwork now. Banking the right foot to keep the trail knee from misbehaving. Did a bunch of reps last night and was pretty well accomplishing what he asked for but I don't see how it's flattening my DS. Going to just trust him and see where I end up after a couple more weeks of work.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Working on banking my right foot more, I think I got it but everything else seems to have gotten worse. Now if I can get the shaft on plane better, like it is on the left, but my footwork to be more like it is on the right I might be able to play halfway decent golf.

Added bonus of working with a camera: You get to laugh at my "impact face".

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Working on banking my right foot more, I think I got it but everything else seems to have gotten worse. Now if I can get the shaft on plane better, like it is on the left, but my footwork to be more like it is on the right I might be able to play halfway decent golf.

You may already be doing this ... but if not, I suggest you try and incorporate Dave's "toes up" drill for this one.  (I think you already know it, but if not, it's easily findable on the 5sk videos page)  It really helps me because it's awfully hard to kick your right knee out towards the ball when the toes are up off the ground, and if you're not kicking your right knee out, the only other thing to do is bank the foot.

Note: This thread is 2889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!