IGNORED

My Swing (Ernest Jones)

Ernest Jones
Note: This thread is 2888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You may already be doing this ... but if not, I suggest you try and incorporate Dave's "toes up" drill for this one.  (I think you already know it, but if not, it's easily findable on the 5sk videos page)  It really helps me because it's awfully hard to kick your right knee out towards the ball when the toes are up off the ground, and if you're not kicking your right knee out, the only other thing to do is bank the foot.

Yeah, that's a great drill but I don't think I want to use it as part of my standard setup as I feel it's too awkward. It's definitely a great way to get a feel for the banking but I would like to be able to achieve it in a more dynamic sense. I have no idea what happened to my backswing though, taking it back WAY inside at that last range session. Sure glad I work with a camera, can't imagine doing this kind of work without one.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Probably need to slow down.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Best practice session yet! Hit 60 balls and only 8 of them failed to hook or draw. Most of these started right at the target and then hooked away from the target but I'm really happy that it was a consistent shot shape. The 8 balls that failed to draw were all big pushes, some with a slice spin, and were all the result of me trying to get the ball to start more right so it could curve back to the target instead of away from it. Apparently my tiny brain isn't ready to add this ingrediant yet so I intend to keep practicing this shot shape to get it really grooved in to the point that I know beyond any doubt that my ball will curve left. Once I can absolutely rely on that flight pattern I can start working on getting it to start to the right so it can curve back to the target.(Of course all of this can be over ruled by my Evolvr coach, I'm slowly starting to learn to just do as I'm told instead of thinking ahead of myself )

Working at banking my right foot better, still more work to do to but I like where I'm going. Also had an epiphany with the concept of swinging to right field and I think I can see why it was not working previously. I started thinking about how the Mediscus Vision Track works and decided to make some chalk lines on my hitting mat to create my own vision track thing. Eureka! I think I now know how to swing to right field properly. Spent the weekend making some half swings and some slow-mo swings along my home-made vision track line and then took the feeling to the range.

The best part is that the combination of the footwork and the proper swing path has shallowed out my downswing nicely.

I want to get my right foot banking a little better and get some more reps in before submitting for another Evolvr lesson but I think I'm getting really close.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Originally Posted by Pakoh

looks like you take the club back really far to the inside.  what does your instructor say?

I definitely see that too. I'm sure I'll need to address it eventually but for now it isn't a priority in terms of what I need to do to hit the ball better. My backswing positions have varied greatly in the process of getting these key#4 downswing pieces down and I don't want to get distracted by them until it is time to address them. For now I'm content with the axiom, "you don't hit the ball with your backswing!"

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Apparently I have multiple personalities and each one of them has a different golf swing...and none of them are very good.

1) I like the foot work

2) I like A2 better

3) I hate how steep I am, I was WAY better two days ago

4) I hate pushing the ball 30 yards almost as much as I hate hooking the ball 30 yards

5) I hate that I've started to flip again

6) I like beer

7) I hate golf...that's not true, I love golf. ***sigh***

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Looks like you start standing up at A5 ~ A6.  You still have some work to do to nail Key #1.

And I don't think your swing is too vertical... If anything - you're still a little under plane on the takeaway... At least in the latest video.

(look at your shoulder line and left arm line - they don't match up at A4).

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

You still have some work to do to nail Key #1.

yeah, this morning was the first time in two weeks that I looked at FO video and I can totally see how much I've neglected that while working on the new stuff. I've got tons of DTL but nothing from the front...I'm making a resolution to always take at least a couple FO video per practice session to just keep an eye on other issues. It's a drag cuz' I can make a nice centered turn with acceptable lateral head movement but only if I remember to do it and I've been so focused on my Evolvr instructions that I forget about the other things that I've theoretically gotten a handle on!

Easy Peasy!

LOL.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

YAY A big ugly, sucky flip and I lose my balance!

On the plus side it did go high and far.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

So I went back to the range this afternoon after digesting all the stuff I didn't like about this morning's video and felt like I was hitting the ball OK (but far from great) but when I got home and looked at video I see that all the crap I hated from this morning was worse! Felt like I was banking but I wasn't even close, my foot was popping up onto its toe like a jack-in-the-box. Garbage. On the plus side I was pretty steady key #1 wise.

I think I need to really focus on doing my evolvr drills with a camera and NO BALLS, the golf ball just makes me too results oriented when I need to be more process oriented for now.

Funny thing is, I am hitting the ball higher and farther than I used to so I have total faith in what I'm being taught, I just need to learn to be a better student.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Posting this so people can let me know if they see anything wrong with how I'm executing the drill.

Ok, so this is what I'll be working on for the time being. Hopefully it will clean up a whole bunch of my issues. My Evolvr teacher is calling it Key #4 work but I can see how this will improve me key #3 stuff as well. I had a pretty good flat left wrists a few months ago but I lost while working on other things. It sounds cliche but it really is a matter of putting it all together at the same time to get the full picture. Easier said than one.

I'll add a ball later, for now I just want to concentrate on performing the correct motions. The ball gets me to results oriented and get too wild.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.

I am no expert, let me start with that. My thoughts are the exit of the drill has the club coming out pretty high. I would worry that the ball is going to draw more than you would like with that type of exit. Not sure what you are going for though.

Michael

Just quickly scanned through the thread and watched your videos. Looks like you're making solid progress. In my opinion, and I'm no expert, it looks to me that you're still not getting the weight shift correct. I'm seeing your lead knee dropping towards your toe in your backswing, which causes the weight to stay on the left side and your head to drop. I'll quote a piece from Ben Hogan's Five Lessons (best book on the fundamentals of the golf swing in my opinion): "When the hips enter the swing, as they are turned they pull the left leg in. The left knee breaks in to the right..." Your left knee should move towards your right knee, not towards your toes. And for me, a lesson I was taught, if I stop at the top of my backswing and can't pick my left foot up, I haven't properly coiled and shifted my weight on to my right side. So two things I think you should work on. Break the left knee inwards instead of down during the backswing, and get your weight on to your right side during the backswing as well.

What jumps out at me is posture at address is very bent over,spine angle is very different at your finish versus address. Maybe try addressing the ball more closer and try and have more uniform flexing at knees and hips during address.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Posting this so people can let me know if they see anything wrong with how I'm executing the drill.

Ok, so this is what I'll be working on for the time being. Hopefully it will clean up a whole bunch of my issues. My Evolvr teacher is calling it Key #4 work but I can see how this will improve me key #3 stuff as well. I had a pretty good flat left wrists a few months ago but I lost while working on other things. It sounds cliche but it really is a matter of putting it all together at the same time to get the full picture. Easier said than one.

I'll add a ball later, for now I just want to concentrate on performing the correct motions. The ball gets me to results oriented and get too wild.

Wow, I can't believe this hasn't made it into the Spelling and grammar thread I was really rushed posting this yesterday as the wife was giving me the, "are on your little golf forum again when your supposed to be fixing the railing on the deck?" stare. So, sorry for the mess!

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Thanks Beach.

Originally Posted by mchepp

I am no expert, let me start with that.

My thoughts are the exit of the drill has the club coming out pretty high. I would worry that the ball is going to draw more than you would like with that type of exit. Not sure what you are going for though.

Could be I'm doing it wrong or it could be that I just need to exaggerate for now. Looking at the video I see what you mean but I'm not so sure that my exit would be THAT high in an actual full swing motion. Hopefully if I am doing it wrong one of the 5sk guys will let me know. I don't want to bombard my evolvr coach with too many questions as I'm sure he has a ton of other students to work with and doesn't have time to hold my hand the whole way. I figure I can get a lot of quick answer on here from the posters I trust.

Originally Posted by BostonBrew

Just quickly scanned through the thread and watched your videos. Looks like you're making solid progress. In my opinion, and I'm no expert, it looks to me that you're still not getting the weight shift correct. I'm seeing your lead knee dropping towards your toe in your backswing, which causes the weight to stay on the left side and your head to drop. I'll quote a piece from Ben Hogan's Five Lessons (best book on the fundamentals of the golf swing in my opinion): "When the hips enter the swing, as they are turned they pull the left leg in. The left knee breaks in to the right..." Your left knee should move towards your right knee, not towards your toes. And for me, a lesson I was taught, if I stop at the top of my backswing and can't pick my left foot up, I haven't properly coiled and shifted my weight on to my right side. So two things I think you should work on. Break the left knee inwards instead of down during the backswing, and get your weight on to your right side during the backswing as well.

I appreciate your comment but I think we are coming at this from two very different swing philosophies and I don't want to risk mixing the two. But thank you for offering your take.

Originally Posted by onesome

What jumps out at me is posture at address is very bent over,spine angle is very different at your finish versus address. Maybe try addressing the ball more closer and try and have more uniform flexing at knees and hips during address.

Yeah, I sometimes wonder if I'm too slumpy but since my evolvr instructor hasn't said boo about it I'm going to assume that, either it is OK or it is far down the list of things I need to work on, either way I won't mess with it for now.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Looks good for my part.  Maybe try it with a slower back swing even.  Looks like you are trying to feel PP#5 so make sure you take it back slow enough to feel the pressure.

Originally Posted by onesome

The posture seems great to me, and I think the relation of the hands to the body and how he addresses the ball is good.

• Upvote 1

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Originally Posted by cipher

Looks good for my part.  Maybe try it with a slower back swing even.  Looks like you are trying to feel PP#5 so make sure you take it back slow enough to feel the pressure.

The posture seems great to me, and I think the relation of the hands to the body and how he addresses the ball is good.

Thanks. A slower backswing is something I try to do in general but it always ends up speeding up again, that might just be my natural speed and maybe I should stop fighting it.

Thanks for the posture comment, now I can stop worrying about that.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Note: This thread is 2888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!