IGNORED

Joe Paterno and Penn State

dhanson
Note: This thread is 4265 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

what does everyone think of this development? it looks like Paterno is on his way out, at least according to sources . do you agree with Penn State's decision?

i personally agree with the decision (albeit a few years late it seems). Joe seems to have done the bare minimum to avoid a larger scandal and legal implication.

sickening. A real disgrace. I don't know the details, but I suppose our wisest, most respected leaders can have terrible lapses in judgement.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

from the article noted above:

On Monday law enforcement officials said that Paterno had met his legal obligation in alerting his superiors at the university when he learned of the 2002 allegation against Sandusky. But they suggested he might well have failed a moral test for what to do when confronted with such a disturbing allegation involving a child not even in his teens. No one at the university alerted the police or pursued the matter to determine the well-being of the child involved. The identity of that child remains unknown, according to the Attorney General.

He should be fired today. He "might well have failed"? So, even if somehow it turns out the guy did not abuse children and rape little boys, just the fact that Paterno and others were told he might have, or might be, abusing children, and they did not report him, is an epic moral failure. If someone was raping boys and all those who did nothing to stop him, should be fired and prosecuted if possible -- right next to the alleged rapist whom they protected above the victims. And, civil lawsuits should start soon if indeed Paterno "met his legal obligation in alerting his superiors." I certainly would like a second opinion about the legal obligation part of that "law enforcement officials" claim. But either way, the victims should sue Penn State and Patero and leave him penniless to live out his last years in total shame.

This is truly the definition of unbelievably bad behavior by Paterno and all those who knew or suspected. It is hard to believe that otherwise smart men could act so badly. Those men share the guilt for every kid raped after it was first reported in the 90's as much as if they were in the room. A second observed incident was reported eleven years later and nothing is done again. The alleged rapist was not arrested until this Saturday. How many kids did Paterno and others allow him to abuse between 1998 and 2011? What on earth were they thinking?

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

from the article noted above:

He should be fired today. He "might well have failed"? So, even if somehow it turns out the guy did not abuse children and rape little boys, just the fact that Paterno and others were told he might have, or might be, abusing children, and they did not report him, is an epic moral failure. If someone was raping boys and all those who did nothing to stop him, should be fired and prosecuted if possible -- right next to the alleged rapist whom they protected above the victims. And, civil lawsuits should start soon if indeed Paterno "met his legal obligation in alerting his superiors." I certainly would like a second opinion about the legal obligation part of that "law enforcement officials" claim. But either way, the victims should sue Penn State and Patero and leave him penniless to live out his last years in total shame.

This is truly the definition of unbelievably bad behavior by Paterno and all those who knew or suspected. It is hard to believe that otherwise smart men could act so badly. Those men share the guilt for every kid raped after it was first reported in the 90's as much as if they were in the room. A second observed incident was reported eleven years later and nothing is done again. The alleged rapist was not arrested until this Saturday. How many kids did Paterno and others allow him to abuse between 1998 and 2011? What on earth were they thinking?

i wouldn't use the word "rape" or "rapist" - i'm not trying to trivialize what was done, but i think there's a distinction between "sexual assault" and "rape."

Bad situation that the media is having a field day on.  I think there's a lot more to this than what is being released now but based on what is being reported it's going to be difficult for Paterno to defend his in-actions and get through this unscathed.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hmmm, Paterno does the absolute minimum necessary: he doesn't follow up from his sole report to authorities, never communicated with law enforcement or take any further steps to ensure the sexual assaults stop.     I know that many in college football think Paterno is a saint, but given his behavior trying to squelch sexual abuse of young boys it appears he's more like a Catholic bishop.........

Originally Posted by dhanson

what does everyone think of this development?

Don't ask what people think then dis  their opinions.

I could be very offended by an earlier comment (#6 in this thread) but if the hat fits . . .

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Don't ask what people think then dis  their opinions.

I could be very offended by an earlier comment (#6 in this thread) but if the hat fits . . .

you're right. after reading this , i think i was wrong to assume rape wasn't involved.

Its absolutely disgusting and yes, Joe needs to go.  For someone who always preached that they win with honor to go and do the absolute minimum that was neccesary to avoid getting into trouble with the law, there is absolutely no excuse for him doing so little.

• Upvote 1

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I became a PSU fan a long time ago, because of everything Paterno stood for. After hearing all that unfolded I became so disgusted by the events that took place. But we all do not know Joe Pa's side of the story, since he has yet to speak on this. But from what the media has reported, he turned a blind eye to all this, and I pray that it is not the case! Believe me, I am not trying to cover for Joe Pa at all, I believe there is alot more we have yet to hear on this from his side. But as for now, I think he just turned a blind eye to all of this. Another thing that pisses me off, is why didn't Mike McQueary call the police immediately or help that poor kid out at the time! Instead that coward went and told his daddy, and then Joe Pa.

But regardless, Joe Pa needs to go.

As far as Sandusky, his time will come.......

Phillip

No one fired as of EOD Tuesday. The two arraigned employees have "vacated" their posts (I guess they have not even resigned) but no one is fired. What is Penn State waiting for?

Joe Pa, his assistant coach, and the rest of the University leadership may have an explanation for why they decided to let their employee and friend continue to sexually assault little boys for 22 years, but there is no "Joe Pa's side of the story."

To paraphrase a movie line: Fire Them. Fire them all.

As a Big Ten man myself, I feel the longer they wait to fire them all, the more this stink sticks on all of Penn State, the conference, and all of big time college sports. The Big Ten Network is tip toeing around the story as if there are more compelling things to discuss relating to conference sports. Money and fear of offending (whom?) seem to be driving things instead of righteous indignation. Are Penn State, the Big Ten, the NCAA, and Nebraska all going to just withhold judgement and play football Saturday while the Penn State coaching staff acts like there may be another side to the story?

It is 7 PM in Happy Valley and Joe and his buddies still work for PSU. Shame on Penn State.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

There are many conspiracy theories that have been presented but one that could hold water is that Sandusky being an ex-coach had plenty of dirt on the PSU program, Paterno and administrators.  When this initially surfaced he threatened to take everyone down with him if Paterno did anything but the minimum required of him.  That certainly doesn't excuse Paterno but it would be one of the logical explanations as to why a guy who's made morals and honor a cornerstone of his legacy act as he did or didn't.

Paterno's contract expires at the end of this season, and given an investigation would likely take longer than that they should just let him retire and move on but I suspect he'll be suspended before this weeks game.

Joe Paradiso

I became a PSU fan a long time ago, because of everything Paterno stood for. After hearing all that unfolded I became so disgusted by the events that took place. But we all do not know Joe Pa's side of the story, since he has yet to speak on this. But from what the media has reported, he turned a blind eye to all this, and I pray that it is not the case! Believe me, I am not trying to cover for Joe Pa at all, I believe there is alot more we have yet to hear on this from his side. But as for now, I think he just turned a blind eye to all of this. Another thing that pisses me off, is why didn't Mike McQueary call the police immediately or help that poor kid out at the time! Instead that coward went and told his daddy, and then Joe Pa. But regardless, Joe Pa needs to go.  As far as Sandusky, his time will come.......

I obviously don't have any inside news, but I'd be willing to bet that if anything else comes out about Paterno, it will only be more incriminating. Just speculation, of course.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

If I'm Joe Paterno, I ask Curley and Schultz when the police are going to be alerted about this. If nothing is done after a couple months, I tell them they have 24 hours to tell the police, or I will. If still nothing is done, I pull a Jack Ryan, go to the police, and sit down with them with a microphone in front of my face, and I tell them everything.

You do not stay silent nine full years after the fact.

Time to be fired in complete disgrace.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

There are many conspiracy theories that have been presented but one that could hold water is that Sandusky being an ex-coach had plenty of dirt on the PSU program, Paterno and administrators.

Certainly possible. I wouldn't be surprised if this came out in the coming weeks/months.

Constantine

From the sideline with nothing to lose or gain from this I'd agree with your views and reaction to the situation but it all doesn't add up.

What Sandusky is accused of doing is sickening and beyond reproach.  If Sandusky did have dirt on the program and staff then it is possible they all agreed to keep quiet in exchange for his resignation which came in the form of "early retirement" the following year.  What doesn't make sense is why would they continue to be associated with Sandusky and allow him to use the university facilities and gym going forward given they knew he had a problem?  Why would Paterno continue to speak with him?

If it turns out that Paterno and others knew what he did, cut a deal to remain silent and maintained a relationship with Sandusky they are not just a disgrace they could be considered an accomplice.

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

If I'm Joe Paterno, I ask Curley and Schultz when the police are going to be alerted about this. If nothing is done after a couple months, I tell them they have 24 hours to tell the police, or I will. If still nothing is done, I pull a Jack Ryan, go to the police, and sit down with them with a microphone in front of my face, and I tell them everything.

You do not stay silent nine full years after the fact.

Time to be fired in complete disgrace.

Certainly possible. I wouldn't be surprised if this came out in the coming weeks/months.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by jamo

I obviously don't have any inside news, but I'd be willing to bet that if anything else comes out about Paterno, it will only be more incriminating. Just speculation, of course.

As much as I hate to say it, I have to agree with you.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Why would Paterno continue to speak with him?

That's what bothers me the most! Paterno knew about the allegations and still maintained some sort of relationship with Sandusky. I just want to hear Patreno's side and why he chose not to call the police.

Phillip

I don't know what Paterno's explanation will be of why he did the bar minimum but my guess is he didn't want to do anymore to hurt his reputation. The other thing I found interesting was how McQueary who was a QB at PSU and then Grad Assistant for the QB coach becomes the full time WR coach the following year. The whole thing from the AD to Paterno screams cover up and I wouldn't even be shocked if McQueary was coached on what to say at his testimony. I mean if McQueary said he saw Sandusky engaging in inappropriate actions Paterno wouldn't say "like what?". It's a shame that a guy that coaches there for 45 years is now going out with this over his head when one call to police could have stopped all of it.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Originally Posted by newtogolf

What doesn't make sense is why would they continue to be associated with Sandusky and allow him to use the university facilities and gym going forward given they knew he had a problem?  Why would Paterno continue to speak with him?

All good questions. It's all very puzzling.

Mike McQueary meanwhile accepted numerous promotions over the course of the last decade within the program; after the 2002 incident, he did not speak to authorities until his grand jury testimony in December 2010. I have to agree with PhillyMac on this one.

Originally Posted by clubchamp

It's a shame that a guy that coaches there for 45 years is now going out with this over his head when one call to police could have stopped all of it.

No question. It truly is.

I'm doing my best to reserve opinions on Joe Paterno at the moment (I failed on this in my first post on this thread), at least until more information comes out, but it's difficult to based on what we know already.

Constantine

Note: This thread is 4265 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!