IGNORED

Best clubs of all time!

Note: This thread is 5985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think this might be a fun thread. In your opinion what are the best clubs of all time in each category. Performance considering the era they were made. Obviously the best stuff is made now because of the technological advancements. I'm 29 years old (will hit the big 30 next week) so some of my choices may show my age.

Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha - This one seemed to drastically change the way drivers were made. My first experience with a titanium driver and after this club, Titanium was the only way to go.

Fairway Woods: Callaway Steelhead - This one is tough for me because I haven't tried nearly enough of the older "classics". This one was pretty awesome and is still the bags of players everywhere, even pro's so it must be good.

Irons: Ping Eye 2 - It's been what, 20 years since these were produced and they are still considered a great iron. People still use them and they still play at a high level. Hell, I think Tim Herron still uses them on tour. Ping kept these things in production for 8 years they were so popular.

Wedges: Cleveland 588 - The wedge everyone else tries to copy.

Putter: Ping Anser - Bullseye or any Scotty Cameron could be picked here. with putters there are just too many to choose from.

Note: I just threw this post together in about 5 minutes so I'm sure I missed something obvious.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I think this might be a fun thread. In your opinion what are the best clubs of all time in each category. Performance considering the era they were made. Obviously the best stuff is made now because of the technological advancements. I'm 29 years old (will hit the big 30 next week) so some of my choices may show my age.

Dude, you're still too young. (lucky YOU)

Fairway Wood - Titleist 970 or PT (very similar)
Tiger Woods was still using his at the start of the 05 season!
Irons - Mizuno MP-29
Wedges - Cleveland 588 and Titleist Vokey Spin Milled.
Putter - Ping Anser/Scotty Cameron 009

907D2 9.5 Proforce V2 75 S
906F2 15* Proforce V2 95 S
MD 19* Proforce V2 100 S
735 CM 3-PW DG s400 Vokey 200 53.11*/SM 58.08* DG s300 Scotty C. Studio Design 3.5Balls -

My time of reference is only about 30 years. It seems to me that almost every best club is a combination of innovator and refiner. So I will list the innovator and the evolved version of each club type
1 Driver, Taylor Made, Big Bertha.
2. Fairway wood. Taylor Made, Orlimar, Adams (tight lies)
3.Irons Ping Eye ones, Tommy Armour 845's.
4. Putter, Ping Anser, Oddessy two ball.
5. Wedge, Sarazen, Cleveland 588
6. Hybrids, cobra baffler or the ginty, Adams A1, Tour Edge ironwood

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

• 2 weeks later...
I'm still playing Tommy Armour 845s, Big Bertha Warbird driver, Steelhead 3 wood, Cleveland 588 wedges (sand and lob, 845s PW), and a Ping Anser 2 that I've had forever. I'm getting the itch for new irons and woods, though.

• 6 months later...
Driver: Taylormade Metal Woods...Taylormade introduced the first metalwoods that were invented by Gary Adams. Later, different metals were used such as Titanium, Graphite, and Titanium integrated with graphite of other alloys. Fairway Woods: Taylormade, although the old style stainless steel heads aren't used today. Callaway just did a new and improved version of what was out there. Irons: I don't know who first invented it, although the primary companies at the time were MacGregor, Wilson, and Spalding. But it would be the MUSCLEBACK IRON HEAD DESIGN. Most PGA tour players still prefer a muscleback. Wedges: Wilson Gene Sarazen. He INVENTED the sand wedge back in 1930. Everything afterwards is a copy or slightly different version. The Sarazen wedge is still sold and used. Putter: Some guys still use a blade putter like Crenshaw. Actually, Jerry Kelly is using a YES blade, but it's still a blade. Note: I just threw this post together in about 5 minutes so I'm sure I missed something obvious. Dude, you're still too young. (lucky YOU)

Leadtape, I would tend to agree with you on the driver and woods.

Irons: I can definitely speak to this. From the late 1950s to 1980s, Macgregor, Hogan, Spalding and of course Wilson made the best irons forgings, right here in America. Period. Iron heads were hand ground and triple chromed. To produce the same level of quality today would be prohibitively expensive. Probably the only company that comes close today is Miura. Wedges: Right again Leadtape. There are some older wedges that are worth more than you would pay for three Vokey wedges. Again 1950s - 1980s forgings. Putters: Sorry Scotty Cameron. I do have to give Scotty credit though, he has copied virtually every one of the great classic putters. Elegant designs like the Wilson 8802, Macgregor IMG 6, Ping Anser, BullsEye. The best in this category doesn't have any additional accoutrements hanging off the back like the putters of today.

Irons: Staff 1987 or 1967 Dyna-Power
Driver: R580
3W: Burner Bubble
5W: Quad Pro
Hybrid: Halo 3iPutter: 1955 M2

When I think about best of all I have to go with the clubs that had the most impact changing the industry after their release.

Driver: The Taylormade metalwoods. Taylormade started the entire metalwood revolution enough said. Callaway Great Big Bertha Callaway reinvented the metalwood with titanium and the rest is history Irons: Ping eye 2. Never has an iron been so popular for so long. The industry stood up and took notice when Karsten Solheim introduced what would become the #1 selling iron off all time. putter: Ping anser. Virtually every major putter manufacturer has copied this design. My list is basic just drivers, irons and putters. Keep it simple my grandfather used to say.
Most PGA tour players still prefer a muscleback

At the risk of starting a off topic war, you're wrong most PGA tour players play a cavity back of some type. Its about 70% to 30%. Top ten in the world; 6 play cavities, 4 musclebacks.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Driver: I like my current driver. Callaway FT5. I haven't had a driver I've really fallen in love with though. The FT5 comes close.

Fwy Woods: Callaway Original Big Bertha

Irons: Hogan Apex Classic '72 I've never hit a set, but I like forged, I like blades, and I play Hogans. I've read that these are considered the best clubs Hogan ever made.

Wedges: Cleveland 588s. I have to agree with Cleveland Gunmetal on this one. These were the first "real wedges" I owned. I remember them feeling great.

Putter: I have a couple of entries. I am very picky when it comes to putters, in 20 years of playing I've had three. They are the best! First: Ping B60 . Mid life: Bridgestone Rextar FL-2: pic 1 , pic 2 , pic 3 . New edition: Odyssey XG #7

This is a fun thread. It's made me realize, I need to buy myself a new (old) fairway wood.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Driver: I like my current driver. Callaway FT5. I haven't had a driver I've really fallen in love with though. The FT5 comes close.

This is a fun thread. I've been playing only five years, but I would make the following contributions: a former Tennessee State Amateur Champ opined to me that he thought the Hogan Apex blades were the finest irons with which he ever played; about four years ago, I saw a set of Titleist blades in an Edwin Watts store in Memphis. They were not stock irons; rather, they were special order only. I believe they were in the 600 series. I have never played with them, probably never will and probably will never have the skill with which to wield them effectively. However, they were to my eye, the most beautiful clubs I had ever seen: their size, their shape and their gleaming finish just spoke to me of skill and ablility, both of the manufacturer and of the fellow destined to own them. They were displayed in a glass counter. The experience of looking at them, surrounded by the disinterested sales clerks at the Edwin Watts store, and the fact that it was early December, was not unlike seeing some utterly desirable yet unattainable toy during the holiday season in a merchant's window of a storefront in the small town in which I was raised. To this day, I recall those clubs with relish.

And Ben: that Bridgestone putter is certainly an interesting item. When was it made? Did you buy it new?

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

I won that Birdgestone putter. I was living in Japan and working at a course in 1995. It was a prize in a company tournament. As far as I know it is not a putter one will see too often in Japan, let alone the States. I've tried to handle it with the utmost care. I never got mad (and threw it), slammed it against the ground, or even touched it to anything other than a golf bag, grass, or carpet. I've kept the original grip on it too. Needless to say, its a prized possession.

And you're right, Titleist does make a quality, and nice looking iron as well.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Single best club, in my opinion..

Titleist 975D 9.5* w/ TT EI-70 Tour shaft!

This was such a great driver back then..

Driver: SUMO 5000 8.5* w/ Aldila Proto-65 X 45.5"
3-wood: SQ w/ Diamana 83 X +1"
Hybrid: SuMo 2h w/ Project X +1"
Irons: MP-33 1-PW w/ TT X100 Sensicore +1"
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 54 + 60 +1"Putter: Red X 34"Me: 6'3" 220lbs. - 0-4 Handicap, depending on how much I work ;); NJCAA All-American,...

Ya the 975D still have that driver
irons APEX hogan
wedge SM titleist
putter ti3 sccotty putter the one tiger used to win his first masters

Titleist 905R 10.5* w/ Avix Tour Red 69(X)
Titleist 906F4 13.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto 80(S)
Titleist 585H 17 deg w/ S300
Titleist 690.mb w/ S300
Vokey SM 56 degVokey SM 60 degSCOTTY CAMERON STUDIO STAINLESS NEWPORT 2

Ya the 975D still have that driver

I had a couple of those putters..

Forgot what it said on the bottom.. something like "Titleist: Scotty Cameron: Project C.L.N. Prototype no. 2" or something.. Those were nice..

Driver: SUMO 5000 8.5* w/ Aldila Proto-65 X 45.5"
3-wood: SQ w/ Diamana 83 X +1"
Hybrid: SuMo 2h w/ Project X +1"
Irons: MP-33 1-PW w/ TT X100 Sensicore +1"
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 54 + 60 +1"Putter: Red X 34"Me: 6'3" 220lbs. - 0-4 Handicap, depending on how much I work ;); NJCAA All-American,...

Note: This thread is 5985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!