IGNORED

My Swing (Beachcomber)

Beachcomber

Important to note that the club face, facing the sky at the top of the backswing was just due to the left wrist being a little arched. The  face was "square" to the back of the left hand.  To clean up some of the wrist alignments we had to get the elbow work in order.  Elbows separate and the right elbow slides a bit behind him, left wrist palmar flexes.  Then makes things a little difficult on the downswing.  Overall though, huge changes from a few months ago and the scores are showing because the pattern is much more consistent.  The goal now is to keep hitting it solid and get rid of those push cuts that can pop up.

I showed Shawn this drill below, one of Dana Dahlqusit's, to have him feel what a good A4 is like.  In reality it ends up being around A3.5 but gives the player a good feel.  I then asked Shawn what he felt, and he described a feeling in his right bicep.  This is the "fix" for Shawn, it can differ from player to player.  The great thing is, when I'm not right there with Shawn he can still do this drill and get that same feel.

Dana with Trackman Maestro

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 5 weeks later...

Here is my latest USGA handicap - not many rounds posted in June.  Too many days traveling for work... Hope to post a lot of rounds this month though.

USGA HDCP 070112.png

I also need to get a new swing video posted, but haven't had a camera with me at the range for awhile... I'm striking the ball better and better, but I'm not really scoring.  My last two rounds I had a 10 and a 9 on a hole.  Kind of hard to score when you do stupid things like that.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Kind of hard to score when you do stupid things like that.

I can only do so much Good to hear you're hitting it well.

Mike McLoughlin

There was too many people in the stalls at the practice range to get a good Caddie View shot - so we decided to video without hitting a golf ball.  I really can't stand seeing my swing on video...  So many issues.

Caddie View

Down the Line

Originally Posted by pholmes

That swing is really nice, what is your disaster shot?

Same as any other golfers... The proverbial shank.

Quick update on my side...

I have been watching a lot of videos this week given it has been pretty dead at work with the holiday placed smack dab in the middle of the week.  This has helped me find some very interesting videos on YouTube that I wanted to share here.  These videos have helped me with feels, positions, and just improving my technique of the golf swing.

Left Arm Straight

- I play golf right handed - but I'm left handed.  I've always used my left arm to help 'whip' it through the ball. After watching a few of these videos - I wanted to feel like my left arm was dead... And simply griping the club only.  And let my right arm power the swing.

The Hands

By keeping the hands and the arms working together... And these videos really prove how simple of a movement they are... Adding these pieces to the other elements of the swing that I've been building on... Has really helped me start blistering the ball.  Hopefully these videos will help someone else, as they have helped me.

I'll post another swing video soon, and I believe you'll see how some of these simple concepts have been incorporated into my swing.

I shot a 75 today... Here are a few shots that Golfingdad took while I was on the course.

Par 3 - 175yds (Uphill) Tee Shot

5i - Pulled Left - Pin High

Par 4 - 180yd approach shot

5i - Pulled Left - Pin High

Still a lot of work to do to get my swing to where I want it.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by nevrino

those videos gave me a new perspective in what arms and hands does in golf ty for sharing

Glad to hear they helped you.  Hope they help others too.

Looking good Shawn, especially for a "on the course" swing.  Were they straight pulls or straight draws?

Mike McLoughlin

Originally Posted by mvmac

Looking good Shawn, especially for a "on the course" swing.  Were they straight pulls or straight draws?

I think the reason why they looked so good was because of the camera operator.

On a serious note, it was nice to play a round of golf with somebody who has a nice consistent swing, as opposed to the 30 handicappers I'm used to playing with.  Hopefully my swing will evolve (pun intended) into something near to this eventually.

Said it before, but sure wish I had your backswing BC. Now keep your right heel down or I'll set your lawn on fire!

Seriously though -- it's coming on very nicely.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by mvmac

Video of the Par 3 swing was a draw that started just left of my target - and drew further left.  Ended up missing the green by about 5yds - and on the rough between the bunker and green.  But missed the target by 20yds.

Video of the fairway approach shot was just a straight pull that ended up on the fringe (close enough to putt) and ended about 15ft left of my target line (the flag).  I appears that the video of the shot in the fairway may have been a pinch fat.  But it was strange because the ball still carried well (~180yds).

Flight of both were medium height - not really a high ball flight at all.

Current focus is really on my Geometry.

(1.) Right arm fold (backswing) - and keeping the elbow tight to my side.  I've been watching my lesson with Grant Waite and Mike McLoughlin again.  I can do this move without a ball - and in a mirror... But when I get out on the range/course - I'm not hitting that right arm fold correctly.  Something that has been difficult for me.

(2.) I'm also trying to learn how to get the 2ndary axis tilt like Grant has.  The sequence of the swing... But I can't get that fluid until I have the proper geometries.

Here is what I want to look like...

• Upvote 1

I want it to look like that too!  That's a great video of you working with Grant, Shawn (and myself helping a bit).  Some really good info, right arm pressure point but there is still space with the elbow and rib cage.  Notice how Grant was always adjusting you to give you more space between your right hand and right shoulder at P4 to keep it more in front.  Best part is at 10:25 (sorry)

Mike McLoughlin