IGNORED

My Swing (Beachcomber)

Beachcomber

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Yep. iPhone with VLC playback! Pretty impressive quality if you know how to use the right tools.

Are you giving any seminars anytime soon?  I have in iphone so I gotta learn this stuff!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Are you giving any seminars anytime soon?  I have in iphone so I gotta learn this stuff!

Im on a biz trip through Friday.  But next week lets sync up.  I'll show you then.

PS. Mike - I tried pushing my rear (tailbone) under and I was hitting hooks.  So maybe that is something that I can continue to work on once I get some of these other items down?  Because when I have the 'S' posture in my lower... I was hitting he ball very well.

That's what I was referring to.  I said "grip", but maybe I should have said "hinge".  If the face was shut at the top, and you truly did nothing to open it on the way down, you'd hit it left with good swings.  But like you said, I don't think the club opens unless you also lose the pressure from the right palm and don't cover the ball with your chest well.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

Check the grip and wrists too.  Looks shut at the top with wrists too flat.  Impossible to swing left from here.  Only option is to thrust the hips and try to block the face open.

The trick for me was subtle and simple at the same time...  Get my hands at address closer to my thighs.  Get a little more waist bend and tilt my head more at address.  Let my arms hang from my core - almost limp at address.  Very light grip pressure.  On the takeaway - just feel PP#1 and PP#3 (right hand pulling left arm away)... And the pulling of the right hand builds up pressure on PP#4.

I know I still have some geometry issues that I need to work on (wrist roll/bend/hinging)... And my right knee is moving toward the ball which needs to be eliminated.  But I'm very pleased with my ball striking right now on the range.

There's one thing I notice because I struggle with it myself that I think is related to this.  On the very first rehearsal at the very start of the video at the top of page 5, to me it looks like you start taking the club back as if you're just starting to over-roll the forearms and bow the wrist as if you're on the way to taking the club face back way inside, but then you get to P2 with the club face only a tiny bit inside and sort of correct by starting taking the club face more up and on plane from there.  Maybe you're setting the slightly bowed wrist you get at the top at the very start?

Seems you know this is an issue, and the setup stuff you're talking about has helped me with this issue too, but maybe not just the takeaway stuff you're talking about (esp. PP#3, right arm pulling left arm) but also concentrating a tiny bit more on hands deep, ie, a tiny bit more in the Rickie Fowler direction on takeaway, might help as well?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• Administrator
Originally Posted by mvmac

Ok, you're OUT

He's out for using "P" instead of "A" anyway isn't he? :D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

He's out for using "P" instead of "A" anyway isn't he? :D

I'm a noob.  And still learning all the terms.  Give me a second shot, will ya!? :D

Originally Posted by mdl

There's one thing I notice because I struggle with it myself that I think is related to this.  On the very first rehearsal at the very start of the video at the top of page 5, to me it looks like you start taking the club back as if you're just starting to over-roll the forearms and bow the wrist as if you're on the way to taking the club face back way inside, but then you get to P2 with the club face only a tiny bit inside and sort of correct by starting taking the club face more up and on plane from there.  Maybe you're setting the slightly bowed wrist you get at the top at the very start?

Seems you know this is an issue, and the setup stuff you're talking about has helped me with this issue too, but maybe not just the takeaway stuff you're talking about (esp. PP#3, right arm pulling left arm) but also concentrating a tiny bit more on hands deep, ie, a tiny bit more in the Rickie Fowler direction on takeaway, might help as well?

Sorry I can't figure out how to quote more than one user... But in response to mdl and bunkers comments... Thanks for the input.  I'm on a business trip and return tomorrow.  I'll toy around with my grip and stance some more and take some more videos this weekend and see if I can make any improvements.

I agree that my clubface / takeaway is probably not 'perfect' as I haven't really paid a lot of attention into how the club (arms/hands) start up at A1 to A2 and then transition on through.  What I've done is always tried to get the toe so that when I reach A2... The shaft is parallel to my plane line - and the toe of the club is facing up to the sky - vertical.

Then as I transition back to A3 and up to A4... I've been working on getting the club squared up.  Unfortunately this has been a battle for me as reported in the thread.  But I'm getting closer and closer as I have been practicing it a lot.  And nailing it in my pre-shot routine - just not nailing it in my actual swing yet when hitting a ball.

Also, the 'S' in my lower back is something Mike pointed out to me several weeks/months ago - but I haven't spent a tremendous amount of time on it yet as I've been so focused on nailing A4 (square clubface)... And the eliminating the 'S' posture - from my understanding would simply help me hit a draw more consistently - versus the fades that I was hitting consistently when I first started to overhaul my swing and incorporate the new grip, shorter backswing and focusing on right arm/elbow placement.

Went to the range tonight and worked on a lot of different facets of my golf game.  Here is a little chipping video of me working on a few things...

Chipping Hinge and Hold (~ 30ft using 54* Wedge)

Here is another video practicing a shot that I learned as a kid called the Belly Chip.  It is often used when the ball is up against the collar or rough.  Where you really can't take a putting stroke or the putter will get hung up in the longer grass directly behind the ball.  Well, I'm using the same stroke - but on a tight lie - from above the hole.  I made this little video to simply show how easy the shot is, and a great way to get up and down from around the green when you have little green to work with.
Belly Chip (~ 8ft Downhill using 54* Wedge)
- Use Putting Grip
- Forward shaft lean (Hands pressed forward)
- Do not sole the club - let it hoover above the turf
- Hit the Equator of the Ball using a putting like stroke
Usage Note: Easier than putting from the fringe as the putter can often grab the turf in the fringe and cause poor roll - especially the initial roll will bounce using a putter more severely.  The Belly Chip - this prevents the club from snagging the turf and ensures clean contact.

Here is another video practicing a shot that I learned as a kid called the Belly Chip.  It is often used when the ball is up against the collar or rough.  Where you really can't take a putting stroke or the putter will get hung up in the longer grass directly behind the ball.  Well, I'm using the same stroke - but on a tight lie - from above the hole.  I made this little video to simply show how easy the shot is, and a great way to get up and down from around the green when you have little green to work with.

Belly Chip (~ 8ft Downhill using 54* Wedge)

- Use Putting Grip

- Forward shaft lean (Hands pressed forward)

- Do not sole the club - let it hoover above the turf

- Hit the Equator of the Ball using a putting like stroke

Usage Note: Easier than putting from the fringe as the putter can often grab the turf in the fringe and cause poor roll - especially the initial roll will bounce using a putter more severely.  The Belly Chip - this prevents the club from snagging the turf and ensures clean contact.

I'm telling the club pro that you were chipping on the green!

Good video.  I like that shot a lot.  I also have experimented with two others that work pretty well for me on various short, delicate chips.

1.   If there is a substantial lip and the ball is nestled right against it where I cannot get the putter behind the ball, I would sometimes use the toe of my putter.  (This shot is useless to those of you with mallets, I know)  With a blade putter (I have a ping pal 2) when you turn that thing sideways, there is no way its getting caught in that grass ... it cuts through like a knife.  The downside is, if you miss even a little bit, the ball will shoot off at a 30* angle or something, so you have to be pretty precise.  And it's hard to judge speed like that, so its not really useful on anything longer than, say, 10 feet or so.  I've rarely actually hit this shot while playing, but it's nice to have on the rare occasion that it becomes necessary.

2.  The other shot I'll use on short chips when there is a lot of rough that might mess with the club going through, is to stand really close to the ball so the club is very upright (almost vertical like a putt) and thus the only part of the club on the ground is the toe end of the leading edge.  I grip it like a normal chip, but you certainly could grip it like a putt as well because I basically take a putting stroke.  It minimizes the chance of getting stuck in that grass and flubbing it 6 inches forward.

Here is a swing sequence that I made from tonight's range session.  I tried to get my hands closer to my thighs at address.

Goal is to keep my right elbow on my side - not going beyond my shirt seam (side) - and giving my right forearm more of a slot to pass through.

Not there yet...  I was hitting the ball really well.  But I still want my swing to be better so I'm not close to being done.

One thing I may try is to get some more waist bend at address.  Not as much as Rocky (shown below) - but a little more so that I can create that slot for the right arm to pass through.

I also need to also work on my right bicep/elbow fold between A3 and A4 .

Here is the video from tonight... 6i.  See above post which comments on what I was working on...

Here is a swing sequence against Grant Waite.  I can see I need a little more knee bend and waist bend at address.  Then have to hit that right elbow bend at A3/A4.  This will create a 'power slot' for that right elbow and club shaft to pass through which is basically above my right thigh - and below my belly.  If you watch videos of Tiger Woods - he does an amazing job of creating that power slot.  I'm trying to get that incorporated into my golf swing.  Which will help me keep the shaft on plane longer and the face should not close as fast through impact.  Should really help me with my finish (A8 to A10).  But I'm not going there until I nail this other first.

First off great improvements, and I like the swing sequences.  Looks like you are really on the right path and almost there.

Looking at the swing sequences you posted, looks like at A3 and A4 comparing you to Rock and Waite, your right hip hasn't moved back and up as much?

Don't know if that is a key to help you create more space on the down swing and have your right leg move more towards the target and less towards the ball?

Originally Posted by Shaggie13

Looking at the swing sequences you posted, looks like at A3 and A4 comparing you to Rock and Waite, your right hip hasn't moved back and up as much?

Don't know if that is a key to help you create more space on the down swing and have your right leg move more towards the target and less towards the ball?

Everyone's hip slant looks shallow compared to Grant's

Originally Posted by Shaggie13

I actually do something similar.  Part of the "fix" is getting the arms to be wider as they lower with the right elbow forward without losing inclination.  Notice how much higher Beach's torso is than Grant's.  Tough piece lol  Like Beach said "create a 'power slot' for that right elbow and club shaft to pass through which is basically above my right thigh - and below my belly".  Picture looks a little "bunchy" so to compensate the golfer has to flex the right knee to get low enough to hit the ball.  The other part is just feeling the legs extend sooner in the sequence, going to feel more stretch of the legs, torso and pelvis through impact and the followthrough.

Looking at the big picture this has improved a lot from the first swings I saw and I admire the work he's done.  He's had to re-wire his brain to make these back swing changes to improve the rest of the swing.  Some players can have that right elbow in many different spots and still get it down and forward enough and some can't.  So that's why the focus has been on the back swing/right elbow for now and it's been fun to see the entire motion get better.  The next piece is soon.....

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by mvmac

Everyone's hip slant looks shallow compared to Grant's

I actually do something similar.  Part of the "fix" is getting the arms to be wider as they lower with the right elbow forward without losing inclination.  Notice how much higher Beach's torso is than Grant's.  Tough piece lol  Like Beach said "create a 'power slot' for that right elbow and club shaft to pass through which is basically above my right thigh - and below my belly".  Picture looks a little "bunchy" so to compensate the golfer has to flex the right knee to get low enough to hit the ball.  The other part is just feeling the legs extend sooner in the sequence, going to feel more stretch of the legs, torso and pelvis through impact and the followthrough.

Looking at the big picture this has improved a lot from the first swings I saw and I admire the work he's done.  He's had to re-wire his brain to make these back swing changes to improve the rest of the swing.  Some players can have that right elbow in many different spots and still get it down and forward enough and some can't.  So that's why the focus has been on the back swing/right elbow for now and it's been fun to see the entire motion get better.  The next piece is soon.....

Thanks for the insights.  That is why you are the pro.

I'm having problems with loosing inclination of the down swing, good to know a lot of golfers struggle with this, I'm not alone.

I agree that Beach has put in a lot of work and it is paying off.

Pretty good looking swing, Beachcomber.  Couple thoughts:

(1) Your right elbow gets a little too far away from you at the top of your backswing.  Try keeping that elbow a little closer (somewhat tucked) to your right side.  This will shorten your backswing a little bit and lead to more consistent ball striking.  Take a look at Jason Dufner's swing for help on this:

(2) Also pay attention to your balance and where your weight goes on the backswing.  You get a little bit on your toes during the backswing, which makes it difficult to maintain your spine angle during the downswing.  Note: your forehead should not go past (to the right from a down-the-line view) the line it sits on at address.  Try to feel like you are sitting on a bar stool at the top of your backswing.  This will help keep your butt out, and on the line established at address, during the downswing.  Getting out on your toes a little bit is probably one of the reasons you hit some shots off the hosel and pull other shots.

(3) Finally, work on your sequence a little bit on the downswing.  Specifically, make sure you shift your weight to your left foot at the top of your backswing BEFORE you fire your hips.  This will also help you maintain your spine angle through impact and avoid sh**ks and pulls.