IGNORED

Wilson Staff FG Tour thoughts?

handlez42
Note:Β This thread is 3738 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I have the wilson staff fg tours. theyre my first set of forged irons. second set overall.

ive read around about them and a common response is that these sticks have a slightly higher ball flight than most forged irons. I unfortunately dont have the experience with other irons to reference to.

anybody else notice this ball flight characteristic?

Another thing is when i was fitted with a specific shaft while using the "mizuno shaft optimizer" and hitting a standard fg tour demo (TT DG s300) and the shaft i was referred to was not offered in the FG Tours by wilson staff. So i ended up getting Nippon 950GH Reg flex. The golf pro, who also hit the fgs for the last 2 years, asked me if i wanted a softer tip nippon shaft to help me get the ball in the air. Now that my ball striking has become more solid I'm afraid im hitting the ball a bit too high sometimes. Unfortunately the shaft doesn't say whether or not its a softer tip.

I'm starting to try and hit knockdown shots, but have been struggling keeping the ball down. Even when i do hit a "knockdown" it flights about as high as a normal full shot should flight.

i know reading it might be a bit harder to understand in words so i'll just explain it in a list from highest (1) - lowest (3) in terms of height of ball flight.

1. full shot (nippon)

2. knockdown (nippon)

3. full shot (preferred/common penetrating flight)

In otherwords, i feel like my full shots flight a bit higher than they should. and wasnt sure if the combination of the FGs that hit the ball higher than most forged irons, and my 950gh's shafts that could be working together to hit the ball too high.

Maybe this article will help....... http://www.shaftology.com/faq/?p=836

WishonΒ  715 CLC-AXE5Β A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4Β wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid AΒ shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT ReleaseΒ  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β  56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β  60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star GripsΒ  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff ZipΒ Golf. or C-25

that does help...i sent them a message asking a few questions i didnt get answered like if going to stiff would lower the flight at all...or would i be best off getting a different shaft?

they mention that the 950gh is made to play between that of heavier steel shafts and lighter graphite shafts.. i feel this could be the best they have for me in terms of weight but they hit a bit high is all.

I play with FG Tours fitted with S300. Took the advice of a fitter as my tempo is slower than most. I hit rainmakers with this combo.

Found a cheaper way to lower the ball flight ---- I play with Bridgestone E7 low trajectory balls ----- dialed in the perfect ball trajectory.

I play with FG Tours fitted with S300. Took the advice of a fitter as my tempo is slower than most. I hit rainmakers with this combo.

Found a cheaper way to lower the ball flight ---- I play with Bridgestone E7 low trajectory balls ----- dialed in the perfect ball trajectory.

I was going to ask what ball you were using also, but I would personally get the proper shafts to change ball flights rather than using a particular ball. I base my ball type on putting feel and short game performance. What are the lofts set to on those irons? I am not familiar with them. I use the S300's in my Mizuno's and I get great penetrating ball flight. Not sure why the S300's would perform any different in your Wilson Staff's unless the lofts are set differently. Good looking set of irons so I hope you get the ball flight you are seeking.

Ping hoofer bag Ping G15 10.5* Driver, stock reg shaft Ping G15 3 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Ping G15 5 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Mizuno MP 69 3-PW irons, DG S300 shafts Mizuno MP R12 black nickel 52* and 56* gap and sand wedges, DG spinner W+ shafts Mizuno 20* FLiHi Clk hybrids, Project X 5.5 shaft 25 year old Bulls Eye putter, 33" or Ping Anser 2 Scottsdale 34" First round of golf was in 1963 at age 10. Best round -1. 2 Holes-In-One.

Originally Posted by Gapwedge

I was going to ask what ball you were using also, but I would personally get the proper shafts to change ball flights rather than using a particular ball. I base my ball type on putting feel and short game performance. What are the lofts set to on those irons? I am not familiar with them. I use the S300's in my Mizuno's and I get great penetrating ball flight. Not sure why the S300's would perform any different in your Wilson Staff's unless the lofts are set differently. Good looking set of irons so I hope you get the ball flight you are seeking.

I played with the MP-14 for a few years, still have it on my basement. Then played with Mizuno MP-68 this year until I had a deal I can't walk away with Wilson FG Tours. The ball trajectory between these models are quite dramatic ----- like you said the Mizuno ball flight is more of a penetrating trajectory.

One major difference is that the FG Tour head is quite heavier ----- which partly explains the high ball flight.

Here is the link to the Wilson website in regards to loft settings.....Would be interested your opinion on this.

Wilson FG Tours

Originally Posted by Gapwedge

the s300 arent really comparable to my shafts....but i guess the r300s are the only thing comparable...the r300s probly could hit the ball a bit lower. i contacted nippon and they said the 950gh's are in fact made for a mid-high ball flight. unfortunately that doesnt help when put into the fgs.

Originally Posted by 18thbunker

I played with the MP-14 for a few years, still have it on my basement. Then played with Mizuno MP-68 this year until I had a deal I can't walk away with Wilson FG Tours. The ball trajectory between these models are quite dramatic ----- like you said the Mizuno ball flight is more of a penetrating trajectory.

One major difference is that the FG Tour head is quite heavier ----- which partly explains the high ball flight.

Here is the link to the Wilson website in regards to loft settings.....Would be interested your opinion on this.

Wilson FG Tours

i noticed the fgs and the 68s are identical in terms of lofts straight down the board...i can only imagine if they were put up against eachother with the same shaft that the FG would hit higher because of what you said..they are a bit heavier in terms of weight. i like that feeling but i think the combination of the Nippon 950gh shaft (as stated above as a mid-high launch shaft) and the "heavy" FGs, it really just makes ball flight far too high for me now that im becoming a better ball striker...i didnt expect to excel as quickly considering it'd be my first set of forgings...but i have and now i might need some re adjusting.

my only thoughts towards why the weight is heavier, and why the lofts are "too lofty" considering this weight, is really because of spin rates. grooves rule may have given them the idea to create a bit more loft so the spin created is more affective. also a slightly higher ball flight (with the correct shaft mind you) can always be adjusted by the player...deliberately knocking down on the ball trying to keep it low is possible while still having height there when needed....these irons probably have stellar trajectory control, i just havent been able to experience it because of the shafts that were put in em.

I'm hoping to switch out the shafts...probly going to have to go on the mizuno shaft optimizer again at the sports store...see what we can come up with..i'll look at what trajectory i'll be getting from the new shaft and if its still a bit higher i'll probly adjust the lofts a little bit probly from Pwedge--to--maybe 6 or 7 at the longest depending on how im hitting my 4 and 5 irons.

i do like nippon shafts...i'll probably consider whatever they have in terms of slightly higher swing speeds or lower ball flight.

Keep us posted with the results when you decide to pull the trigger and change shafts. I will keep an eye on this thread....thanks.

Ditto. Curious to know what you decide.

Ping hoofer bag Ping G15 10.5* Driver, stock reg shaft Ping G15 3 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Ping G15 5 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Mizuno MP 69 3-PW irons, DG S300 shafts Mizuno MP R12 black nickel 52* and 56* gap and sand wedges, DG spinner W+ shafts Mizuno 20* FLiHi Clk hybrids, Project X 5.5 shaft 25 year old Bulls Eye putter, 33" or Ping Anser 2 Scottsdale 34" First round of golf was in 1963 at age 10. Best round -1. 2 Holes-In-One.

I play the FG Tour with the PX 5.5 shafts. Β I hit a low ball and this combination gave me the best and most consistent ball flight. Β My son plays MP-57s with PX 6.0 and our ball flights are pretty similar.

of the shafts ive considered..."royal precisions" are up there...

preferably the rifle flighted...ive heard the PX shafts quite harsh on off center hits plus the flighted tech. could help with my long irons much like my nippons do now.

also been considering KBS Tour and the KBS C-taper which is apparently a low spin shaft but the flight is low already as a characteristic and unsure of how low spin steel shafts react on the greens?

also the Nippon 1050gh and 1150gh Tour. both are roughly 10-20 grams heavier than what i have now (950gh) which could help with control but i enjoy the feel of the 95 gram shaft i have now.

"they" say it plays consistent like steel but lightweight like graphite which sacrifices weight for distance....and i agree to a point it does only my shots are hitting far too high in my opinion..which is why the other two nippon shafts are still "up in the air" as far as my considering them.

im not much a fan of true temper shafts...they mostly dont fit my preferences. they do however make nice wedge shafts...im playing Macgregor VIP wedges with Dynamic Gold "wedge flex" shafts right now...possibly a Regular plus? or low kick stiff...not sure but they feel very smooth.

none of my online searching is relevant though. all the searching ive been doing. until of course i go get tested and some numbers to figure out the right shaft. But i like having EVERYONE from "the trap" giving their stories and opinions. if anything it will help me find a match even easier.

mostly just considered with getting the right gram weight with a smooth feel in motion and at contact without sacrificing trajectory control, left-to-right control, and feel. which i know all these characteristics....it would probably be the best shaft every made! haha but im sure theres something out there that hits 8 or 9 out of 10 characteristics im looking for.

i'll probly be going to my trusted local sports stores golf section probably tomorrow or wednesday..talk to the pro i usually get help from. I think the biggest things im interested in is seeing the options i'll get from the optimizers numbers when i hit my iron, as well as probably seeing my swing speed im producing with a 6 or 7 iron...ive never checked that swing speed out...which is apparently a part of KBS' online fitting system. fortunately playing sports like basketball and soccer have physically helped me pick up the game of golf easily...as well as i kinda always liked golf as a kid...hitting in a field occassionally...but my body wasn't tuned very well for the motions involved in golf but it didnt take long to do that and now that the shafts i was fitted for are a bit hindering.

*******>>>> i'll be sure to let any and everybody interested in the results

Originally Posted by 18thbunker

Quote:

I play the FG Tour with the PX 5.5 shafts. Β I hit a low ball and this combination gave me the best and most consistent ball flight. Β My son plays MP-57s with PX 6.0 and our ball flights are pretty similar.

the one thing ive been quite interested in in a "combo:" set of the two main forged offerings by wilson...

have either of you considered putting together the fg tours with the fg62s?

i like the idea of blade irons...more precise...and i enjoy the feeling of hitting a blade pure..

i was considering getting maybe the p-8 in the fg62

i just feel like it would be a pretty fun set.

any opinions?

• 1 year later...

Im sure you guys are not even paying attention to this thread but I finally got the change made with shafts

i wanted to make sure i got as much mechanics down as possible and i even like to be stubborn and see all kinds of results from each round. I noticed I couldn't feel miss hits very well. I struggled with tempo. AndΒ I couldn'tΒ control distance or trajectory.

I found out that by frequency my clubs were swinging atΒ a 3.7 ...or a "ladies" flex. I was pretty upset about that when I found out. But also not surprised considering the careless "fitting" I was given when I bought these irons.Β I thought at worst it was senior flex...way wrong

I hit a number of shafts (project x, rifle standard, kbs c taper, and dg s300)

The c-taper was the best with an unbelievable spin rates for a low spin shaft. I believe 300-400 rpms higher than the dg s300s. I was talked into s300s because of price. Thank god.

what I noticed at my range sessions was distance control and much more stability in my swing throughout. I was able to choke a 9 iron and half swing to put the range balls consistently on the green at 95-105 yards or so. That was encouraging. And controlling flight became a bit easier.

Now I should mention I was meant for a frequency of 5.8 but due to the +1 length and tapered irons I worked up to a 6.0 for ease of fitting. I also think once I get these down my swing will play into about a 6.0 frequency. First round is tomorrow. Let me know...anyone...if you wanna hear more

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

sorry for the wait..I got away from thesandtrap for a while and just kept playing the irons I currently have with the 950s. I should've abandoned all the speculation and just got fitted because for my swing speed the nippons were playing a 3.7 in flex frequency. (not acceptable) I got a little upset with the golf shop I originally bought the irons from seeing I was fitted so poorly. Since then they have acquired a simulator.

I went to a local golf ETC and swung a taylor

made iron for fitting purposes with the following shafts:

true temper dynamic gold s300

kbs tour

kbs c-taper

project x (id assume a 5.5?) id have to look at my print out which I currently am unaware where it is.

from a feel perspective I cant get why players like the project x...the shafts just feel incredibly heavy in the hands and un-balanced. Needless to say they resulted in the worse results. I dont know if I got solid hits even and the pro shop guy said that shaft doesn't need any more results haha

the best results were the kbs c-taper. I crushed all of them and they felt like butter. Which after the first shot I cringed. They are pricey shafts to be honest.

the true tempers were a pleasant surprise to me. Being the second best and only losing about at most 3 yards in difference on worst of shorts but very tight dispersion. I was worried the dgs hard hitting nature wouldnt work with my smoother swing. But the performace being at best identical to the c-taper, I made the order and was excited to get back on the course

grips were tacki mac it2 midsize.

first round without warmup I felt great and actually shot in the low 80s which for me was a good round and I had just started.

the next 4 out of 5 rounds were breaking 80. With the 5th being an 85. I felt great and realized now I'm finally where I need to be an made the right decision with the good ole reliable TT dynamic golds. I'm about a half club longer. (not much but at the courses I play its that difference from a lost ball to a phenom shot)

particular hole par 3, 3rd which plays to a 4 handicap. I believe its 169 and with a pond playing to the edge of 160 leaving a tough hole. Before with my Nippon 950gh i had to play a 5 iron because the 6 always ballooned just short. My 5 irons flights varied on the hole from ballooning short of the green STILL to pushed right and long

my first day with the S300s i played. 6 because i always should've been playing a 6 at that distance. And i put it pin seeking about 2 feet short of the hole. The rest of the round was about the same. I'd bought a Scotty Cameron studio style putter used and was getting used to it compared to my old Wilson 8002 style toe down. But the irons proved there place in my bag.

i forgot to mention the swing simulator analyzer measured me for a 5.8 frequency and due to fitting issues with my irons taper (I can't remember exactly the difficulty of it) it ended up easier to fit them to a 6.0 frequency.

I'm 23 and have been playing since i was 19 so i can probably grow into a 6.0 easily. So to anyone new to golf and feels their swing isnt strong enough for an S300 I suggest you at least try them. I'm lucky to have long arms (6'4") I can create enough speed with little effort. But the feel and sound of these wilsons are just fine.

sorry the long posts this process was long and before the fitting very frustrating not knowing what I did wrong when the ball sailed in every direction but where I was aimed. Now fitted, I've started to feel how to work the ball a bit, control the trajectory, distance. Gripping down on the club actually works and becomes second nature. Man am I a happy golfer

now...onto the wedges hahaha

Note:Β This thread is 3738 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!