IGNORED

Short GameTrajectories

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger emphasizes turning through the shot with the big muscles. http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2011-01/tiger-pitch#ixzz1gcDuqxbF

On a closer reading, maybe the two approaches aren't mutually exclusive; they might have different mental processes to achieve the same physical process.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 months later...

Cool video of Phil, no hinge and hold here lol

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 1 year later...
Originally Posted by Stretch

Hey Mike, here's some unknown who appears to mostly agree with you.

His bite-sized short game thought: The club should skid, not dig.

I refuse to take advice from someone who's only ranked 2nd on tour for scrambling.......

• 6 months later...

Quote:
Grant Waite demonstrating a pitching technique utilizing minimal wrist hinge, more effective bounce and the shallowest possible angle of descent. This 25 yard pitch shot has a lower flight and a predictable amount of release.

Quote:
Grant Waite demonstrating a pitching technique utilizing minimal wrist hinge, more effective bounce and the shallowest possible angle of descent. Since we aren't relying on a great deal of wrist hinge on the back swing to generate speed, the body pivot will increase to make up the difference. There will be a slight amount of re-hinge on the follow-thru that will effectively increase the amount of delivered loft. This 25 yard pitch shot has a medium trajectory flight with very little release once it hits the green.

Quote:
Grant Waite demonstrating a pitching technique utilizing minimal wrist hinge, more effective bounce and the shallowest possible angle of descent. There will be a subtle increase in the length of swing as well as the amount of wrist hinge in the backswing in order to generate more speed. The rotation speed of the body will increase in order to provide a sufficient power source in order to cover a given distance. This technique employs a faster re-hinging rate to effectively increase the amount of delivered loft. This 25 yard pitch shot has the highest trajectory and almost no release once it hits the green.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Great post mate.

My chip/pitch shots are normally very high, but I've just had a swing change as I'm too steep and trying to incorporate this into my swing. Been causing me big problems recently as the grounds soft and causes me to hit fat.

I definitely play the ball too far forward in my stance as you've noted with the high-high trajectory, so will watch this and also check I'm not flaring my feet out too wide!

Grant Waite about 8 months ago discussing and demonstrating chipping versus pitching and utilizing the bounce, shallow angle of attack, not dragging the handle, etc.

While he does not discuss it, it appears the arms are leading and the body balances - I've found you've got to find your own balance between arms and body - you don't want the club behind you, and too much body or too armsy will lead to issues.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

This is a great thread of demonstrations of the various short game skills.

Thanks everyone for the effort and time to share the videos and pics.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Great post mate.

My chip/pitch shots are normally very high, but I've just had a swing change as I'm too steep and trying to incorporate this into my swing. Been causing me big problems recently as the grounds soft and causes me to hit fat.

I definitely play the ball too far forward in my stance as you've noted with the high-high trajectory, so will watch this and also check I'm not flaring my feet out too wide!

Just setup with the shaft neutral, have some bend in the arms and make some practice swings just brushing the grass.  Make sure the weight is forward and that you're pivoting through the shot.

Grant Waite about 8 months ago discussing and demonstrating chipping versus pitching and utilizing the bounce, shallow angle of attack, not dragging the handle, etc.

While he does not discuss it, it appears the arms are leading and the body balances - I've found you've got to find your own balance between arms and body - you don't want the club behind you, and too much body or too armsy will lead to issues.

Grant must have seen this thread ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Just setup with the shaft neutral, have some bend in the arms and make some practice swings just brushing the grass.  Make sure the weight is forward and that you're pivoting through the shot.

Took to the range last night and made some massive improvements on my short game with your help!

Connections felt clean and for the 1st time ever, I was seeing some massive backspin come in and that was with the range balls

The pitch shot this website taught me has made me so much more confident and successful around the greens. I can't thank Erik and Mike enough I honestly feel like this approach to pitching is the best way to go. I have a good friend who is obsessed with phil's hinge and hold shot and he is so inconstant. He will hit a perfect shot on a hole and blade the shit out of one on the next.  After watching the quickie pitching thread videos a few times I went in the yard and messed around with the shot for a hour or so. Honestly I think I had the concept in about a half hour.  After about a month using it I felt like I mastered the shot and was using it almost all the time around the greens. Whats so great about this shot is you can hit it any trajectory and not feel like you have to do to much with the swing part of the shot.  All you have to do is change the setup and you can change the shot dramatically. I seriously made myself laugh in the yard when I was using the high shot and I was hitting the ball over a pine tree standing about 2 yards away from it.  I can't put it in words how user friendly the shot is and if you haven't tried it yet please do. http://thesandtrap.com/t/39411/quickie-pitching-video Heres a link in case anyone is interested.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for all the great video posts, mvmac!

I just notice something in your OP:    I appears that you take practice swings, then the actual shot, all without changing the position of your feet (i.e., you don't "move back" to practice, then "scoot up" to hit the shot).

Is this your normal routine?  Would you recommend doing this to other golfers?  Or am I seeing things incorrectly?

Thanks for all the great video posts, mvmac!

I just notice something in your OP:    I appears that you take practice swings, then the actual shot, all without changing the position of your feet (i.e., you don't "move back" to practice, then "scoot up" to hit the shot).

Is this your normal routine?  Would you recommend doing this to other golfers?  Or am I seeing things incorrectly?

Yes that is basically my normal routine, what feels comfortable to me. I'm also going through each shot so I want to make sure I'm feeling the necessary changes.

Only thing I would recommend in a routine would be to "brush" the grass with the practice swing. I try to rehearse the swing and feel the best I can. Everything else is up to the player, figuring it out what feels/works best through trial and error.

Mike McLoughlin

• 3 weeks later...

High, high

- Ball off the left toe

-Clubface open

- Hands lower

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator

Is there any chance you could do a video for the low spinning shot?

One of us will try to do this soon. Keep pestering if we don't (but give us at least 10 days or so).

Basically the most spin comes from creating 45° spin loft. There are a few ways to do that. Many involve a combination of de-lofting enough to deliver about 43° of actual loft while yanking the handle and clubhead left quickly near impact to help shallow the AoA so it's not super steep (~2°).

And of course a good clean lie, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!