IGNORED

DIY refurbishing, buffing, cleaning irons...

Note: This thread is 4481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

guys/girls,

has anyone tried refurbing their own clubs? meaning, if i had a set of forged irons that weren't really dinged up but yet i wanted to put a good shine on em, where would i start? not just chrome plated sets, but what about if they had a 'mist' on them that you wanted to buff to a shine? any tips/tricks/hints/or products to use? please share!

-Paul G

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

I haven't really tried but I know a green Scotchbrite pads works good.  Or you can use a buffing wheel with Autosol chrome polish

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

...what if it's not chrome...say, stainless?

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Go with the Scotchbrite, works great with stainless stuff like Ping

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Satin finish done last week with a green Scotch Brite and my elbow grease.... [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/187668/width/450/height/600][IMG]http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/187668/width/450/height/600[/IMG][/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/187669/width/640/height/480][IMG]http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/187669/width/640/height/480[/IMG][/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/187670/width/640/height/480][IMG]http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/187670/width/640/height/480[/IMG][/URL]

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Thanks for the tip!  Redid my used but in good condition x-forged wedges.  They look almost brand new again.

Originally Posted by mvmac

I haven't really tried but I know a green Scotchbrite pads works good.  Or you can use a buffing wheel with Autosol chrome polish

Carlos

Originally Posted by Gioguy21

guys/girls,

has anyone tried refurbing their own clubs?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!  I would never consider doing such a thing......an iron without dings is a club with no character

this is character........LOL

IMG_3157.jpg

I chuckle inside to myself when I see people with iron headcovers. I just don't understand it.   this club has seen some serious action/battle on the golf course. ....my 56 and 60 are my favorite irons by a longshot.  I'm proud of every scratch, dent, and ding.........

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

ABSOLUTELY NOT!  I would never consider doing such a thing......an iron without dings is a club with no character

this is character........LOL

IMG_3157.jpg

I chuckle inside to myself when I see people with iron headcovers. I just don't understand it.   this club has seen some serious action/battle on the golf course. ....my 56 and 60 are my favorite irons by a longshot.  I'm proud of every scratch, dent, and ding.........

It's called "Resale value". My sweet looking MP-R will sell faster and for more $$$ than yours with "character".

-Landon

some people do it b/c they value what costs money...even if it's a wedge. some people do it b/c they take pride in keeping things clean, ie a clean garage workstation or in this case, clean clubs. some people do it b/c they're OCD. some people do it because they want to sell them in good shape. some people do it b/c they were a gift from someone. some people do it b/c they want to fit in. just sayin. there are always reasons, i on the other hand, like taking care of things i own, including maintenance, which in this case, i feel DIY would fit in. no disrespect but, that clubs beat to shit...might be time.

"Resale value" isn't in my vocabulary.  When I buy something, I use it until I either break it, kill it, wear it out, divorce it,or lose it!  My friends that worry about resale value are always broke.

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

"Resale value" isn't in my vocabulary.  When I buy something, I use it until I either break it, kill it, wear it out, divorce it,or lose it!  My friends that worry about resale value are always broke.

Imagine how much in the hole those friends would be if they weren't getting top dollar for the old clubs they sell/trade-in.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to protect an investment, which is how many view their clubs.  Personally, I don't go out of the way with iron covers but I do take care to not do too much damage to them...

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

Imagine how much in the hole those friends would be if they weren't getting top dollar for the old clubs they sell/trade-in.

I keep telling them if they would quit "buying" a brand new vehicle ever couple years, they wouldn't be broke!

I wouldn't consider my golf clubs an investment, rather a liability.  Investments make me money, liabilities cost money.  That is, unless someone is getting MORE out of their clubs than they paid (Scotty collectors, buying old Eye 2 sets for dirt then reselling them, etc.).

Certainly take care of them, they will last longer!  I'll move my ball if it comes to rest on a gravel cart path just so I don't jack up my wedge, I'm not playing for $1.2 million, just for fun!  Hell, I even clean my set after every round!  The better I take care of them, the longer they will last, the more I get my money's worth out of them.  And I agree.... no iron headcovers!

To the OP - I like buying old sets at garage sales, Craigslist,, etc. and making a project out of them with my son.  We clean and repair the heads to what extent we can, do new paint fills, adjust loft and lie if needed, regrip, etc.  Our original plan was to resell them, but we decided that we are going to fix up all the sets we can find and donate them to the First Tee.  It's a fun hobby, and I am now doing a lot of this kind of stuff for friends.

Scotchbrite pads, gun oil, Autosol or Flitz, buffing wheel or a Dremel with small buffing pads, small files and polishing stones... there is not a lot of stuff needed to get started doing it.  Do a Google search for stainless steel auto trim repair and you should come up with a lot of info.

"Resale value" isn't in my vocabulary.

LOL...I'm with you because I've never sold or traded a used club before.  It's not worth the hassle/time to sell an old club for a few bucks.  When I buy a new club, the last thing I'm thinking about is resale value.  Golf clubs are disposable products to me....

But then again...I'm not like many golfers who are constantly buying new clubs.  I tend to stick with a good thing for awhile......

What's in Paul's Bag:

I wouldn't consider my golf clubs an investment,

That's because they aren't....... IE.....brand new/never hit clubs lose 50% of their value when the next years model hits the market.

What's in Paul's Bag:

I almost never buy new nor do I lose money, I can't afford to and I try alot of golf equipment, but I'm patient.

-Landon

Note: This thread is 4481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!