IGNORED

Does President Obama play too much Golf?

mvmac
Note:Β This thread is 4183 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

So....when he was an Illinois Senator did he play too much golf? How about when he was a 'Community Organizer?'

If the answer to those questions is either 'no' or 'I don't know how much he played', my answer is, exactly. It was a non-issue then, should be a non-issue now. Those that want to make it an issue do so for some kind of attempt at political gain. Really...trying to score political points by painting Obama as some kind of out of touch elitist that plays too much golf? If that's the best they got, Obama's doing pretty well.

Now, politics aside, whatever a president does to get away, whether it's golf, clearing brush (Bush), chopping wood (Reagan), playing tennis, whatever...that's his business. We don't own the person, we just pay his salary. What he does in his down time is nobody's business. Whomever complains, all I have to say is, how do you decompress, and are you willing to take heat for it? If not then please shut up & move on to something relevant.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Questions like these only come up when a person is perceived to not be doing a good job.Β  If the economy was great andΒ unemployment was low no one would care how much golf the President was playing.Β Β  I don't think anyone was trying to paint him as an "elitist"Β more likely the intent was to use his golf rounds as an indication of his indifference or lack or concern for the state of the country.Β  People need down time what they do with it is their business.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 9 months later...

As a frequent player at Andrews Air Force base, I do get annoyed when Obama plays there because:

-they close the South course down for other players 2-3 hours ahead and behind his round.Β  If you had a tee time, tough luck.Β  You just got booted.Β  They will try to reschedule you on one of the other two courses, but they suck in comparison to the South course.

-it cost the tax payers $100,000s each round he plays.Β  there are at least 30 carts for his group.Β  Mostly for his secret service team to patrol the area near him while he's playing.

-ruins my weekend plans when he plays

thankfully he doesn't play there as often anymore.Β  Just be glad he doesn't play at your home course.

As a frequent player at Andrews Air Force base, I do get annoyed when Obama plays there because: -they close the South course down for other players 2-3 hours ahead and behind his round.Β  If you had a tee time, tough luck.Β  You just got booted.Β  They will try to reschedule you on one of the other two courses, but they suck in comparison to the South course. -it cost the tax payers $100,000s each round he plays.Β  there are at least 30 carts for his group.Β  Mostly for his secret service team to patrol the area near him while he's playing. -ruins my weekend plans when he plays thankfully he doesn't play there as often anymore.Β  Just be glad he doesn't play at your home course.

100,000 dollars a round? I hope he's a plus handicap :-P

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by zipazoid

So....when he was an Illinois Senator did he play too much golf? How about when he was a 'Community Organizer?'

If the answer to those questions is either 'no' or 'I don't know how much he played', my answer is, exactly. It was a non-issue then, should be a non-issue now. Those that want to make it an issue do so for some kind of attempt at political gain. Really...trying to score political points by painting Obama as some kind of out of touch elitist that plays too much golf? If that's the best they got, Obama's doing pretty well.

Now, politics aside, whatever a president does to get away, whether it's golf, clearing brush (Bush), chopping wood (Reagan), playing tennis, whatever...that's his business. We don't own the person, we just pay his salary. What he does in his down time is nobody's business. Whomever complains, all I have to say is, how do you decompress, and are you willing to take heat for it? If not then please shut up & move on to something relevant.

He did not play at all until he became president

Originally Posted by VegasRenegade

Seriously?

He didn't pick up a stick until he was POTUS?

Another fact check is needed ... as usual.

___

Instead, sources say Obama, a lefty, has shaved a few strokes off his handicap since 2008 and plays to about 18. But he is far from the most prolific presidential golfer. No president golfed more than Woodrow Wilson, who played at least a handful of holes nearly every morning on doctor's orders to curb his stress level. Dwight D. Eisenhower played nearly 800 rounds across two terms, inspiring Democrats to say Ike had invented the 36-hole workweek. (The quip was literally true; Eisenhower played every Wednesday afternoon and Saturday morning.) Compared with them, Obama is a dilettante, although one with the passion of the recently converted. He didn't take up the game until his mid-30s, while a state senator in Springfield, Ill. His wife, Michelle, nudged him onto the links, hoping he would trade his smashmouth brand of pickup basketball for the more gentlemanly game of golf. Now Obama sees the game as his only chance to just wander around.

Golf, for Obama, has become "a sanctuary of sorts," says Andres W. Lopez, an attorney who has known the president since their Harvard days. S t ill, there might be one more reason Obama has stuck to his beloved game -- and why Romney's camp seems bent on making him quit. Since the 1980 presidential election, a curious trend has emerged: Jimmy Carter. Walter Mondale. Michael Dukakis. Bob Dole. Al Gore. John Kerry. John McCain. None of them played golf. All of them tasted bitter defeat. All of them lost to golfers.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/8448356/president-barack-obama-keeps-golf-games-quiet-only-invites-white-house-staffers-espn-magazine

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

Handicap of 18? I'm disappointed.

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by reflection

As a frequent player at Andrews Air Force base, I do get annoyed when Obama plays there because:

-they close the South course down for other players 2-3 hours ahead and behind his round.Β  If you had a tee time, tough luck.Β  You just got booted.Β  They will try to reschedule you on one of the other two courses, but they suck in comparison to the South course.

-it cost the tax payers $100,000s each round he plays.Β  there are at least 30 carts for his group.Β  Mostly for his secret service team to patrol the area near him while he's playing.

-ruins my weekend plans when he plays

thankfully he doesn't play there as often anymore.Β  Just be glad he doesn't play at your home course.

So when you're talking about the cost, I'm assuming that you think he wouldn't need secret service protection if he wasn't at the golf course.

Don't buy into the hype.Β  Those comments about how much it costs in secret service protection when the president does this or that is bogus.Β  Those are salaried employees.Β  They don't hire a batch of agents from a temp agency and dismiss them after the round of golf.Β  Those agents would be paid the same amount whether he was at the course or at the White House.Β  Other than gas to get there and back, I'm not sure how it costs the taxpayers any more than it would if he stayed home.Β  Am I missing something?

I agree that it's inconvenient to have VIPs shut down parts of bases.Β  I was stationed at the AF Academy and it was ridiculous how often we had things like that happen.

Since you're playing at Andrews, I'm assuming you're prior military so thanks for your service.Β  Having served for 22 years myself, I'm a little surprised you say that the President's schedule sometimes ruins your weekend plans.Β  It sounds to me like this has happened more than once, so it should have only been a surprise the first time it happened.Β  It's not like the President is showing up at random courses, following you around.Β  One course.Β  And you chose for your home course the same course the President of the United States plays.Β  Personally, I would think that was pretty cool if he chose Luke AFB (MY home course) as his.

Just saying...

Originally Posted by Lihu

Handicap of 18? I'm disappointed.

I see a Hank Haney series in his future...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

No, he doesn't play too much golf. Golf is a great way to relax and recharge and the President needs that as much, or more, than any of us.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

So the President continues to maintain a 2 round/month golf schedule.Β  I would die if I could only play twice a month.Β  He's played my "home course", Marine Corps Base-Hawaii, a few times.Β  I've been out there twice when he teed off, always well after me (I tee off at 0600) so it didn't interfere with my round.Β  He does use up a lot of golf carts, though.Β  Good thing I'm a walker.

Every President--hell, every man--needs something to take them away from work for a while.Β  I was in Iraq serving as legal advisor to an Infantry Brigade Combat Team.Β  Our commander was one of the toughest guys I've met.Β  He kept a grueling schedule:Β  up at 0430, time blocked in 30 minute increments from 0530 until 2200, and often I'd meet with him well after that.Β  He didn't take a day off for 10 months.Β  Then, he had a "heart episode."Β  For the last 5 months of our tour, he took an hour every day to exercise.Β  Guess what?Β  After that, he was less irritable, more focused, and a better commander--not to mention healthier.

If I were a close advisor or aide to any President, CEO of a company, director of a large organization, etc., I'd beg them to exercise for at least 45 minutes at least 5 days per week, and to take a few hours at least twice a week to do something recreational.Β  Shoot skeet, watch a football game, play golf, watch a movie with your kids, something.Β  Take a 4-5 day vacation once per quarter.Β  For someone whose time is scheduled 12 hours per day, 360 days per year, you have to protect those santuaries, or you become nuts.Β  I think it's ridiculous for someone who works 5 days a week to criticize a man who works 360 days per year about playing 2 rounds of golf per month.Β  Have you ever worked 250 days straight?Β  I have--it makes you a little crazy, and certainly less effective.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Questions like these only come up when a person is perceived to not be doing a good job.Β  If the economy was great andΒ unemployment was low no one would care how much golf the President was playing.Β Β  I don't think anyone was trying to paint him as an "elitist"Β more likely the intent was to use his golf rounds as an indication of his indifference or lack or concern for the state of the country.Β  People need down time what they do with it is their business.

You nailed it first, by saying that these questions only come up from people who don't like the president (I reworded it a bit).Β  But it has nothing to do with the economy or anything else, in my opinion.Β  There will always be a group of people who didn't vote for the current president and insist on complaining about everything he does, the clothes his wife wears, where they vacation, how much money they're wasting, you name it.

The Dow is nearing it's all time high again, and people are still complaining that the economy sucks.Β  I really don't get it.Β  Businesses are making the money.Β  Do you think it's bad just because they aren't using that money to hire employees back?Β  I mean, that's what they're SUPPOSED to be doing according to Mitt Romney.Β  They're making more money, they should be hiring, right?

It's a pretty stressful job, being President, so I say that 2 rounds a month isn't even close to being too much.Β  (Unless he's the kind of golfer who gets angry on the course and playing only adds to his stressload)

Originally Posted by k-troop

So the President continues to maintain a 2 round/month golf schedule.Β  I would die if I could only play twice a month.Β  He's played my "home course", Marine Corps Base-Hawaii, a few times.Β  I've been out there twice when he teed off, always well after me (I tee off at 0600) so it didn't interfere with my round.Β  He does use up a lot of golf carts, though.Β  Good thing I'm a walker.

Every President--hell, every man--needs something to take them away from work for a while.Β  I was in Iraq serving as legal advisor to an Infantry Brigade Combat Team.Β  Our commander was one of the toughest guys I've met.Β  He kept a grueling schedule:Β  up at 0430, time blocked in 30 minute increments from 0530 until 2200, and often I'd meet with him well after that.Β  He didn't take a day off for 10 months.Β  Then, he had a "heart episode."Β  For the last 5 months of our tour, he took an hour every day to exercise.Β  Guess what?Β  After that, he was less irritable, more focused, and a better commander--not to mention healthier.

If I were a close advisor or aide to any President, CEO of a company, director of a large organization, etc., I'd beg them to exercise for at least 45 minutes at least 5 days per week, and to take a few hours at least twice a week to do something recreational.Β  Shoot skeet, watch a football game, play golf, watch a movie with your kids, something.Β  Take a 4-5 day vacation once per quarter.Β  For someone whose time is scheduled 12 hours per day, 360 days per year, you have to protect those santuaries, or you become nuts.Β  I think it's ridiculous for someone who works 5 days a week to criticize a man who works 360 days per year about playing 2 rounds of golf per month.Β  Have you ever worked 250 days straight?Β  I have--it makes you a little crazy, and certainly less effective.

I agree wholeheartedly!

I was going to add that anyone who plays at a military installation, from what I know of most bases I've played at, has some military connection (prior service, etc).Β  It really surprised me when I heard someone who I assume was prior service to say that it "ruins their weekend plans" when they get bumped from their tee time and moved to another course because the President is playing.Β  One of the most valuable lessons my service taught me is flexibility.Β  I'm sorry their service didn't teach them the same thing.Β  I could stereotype and say they were probably in a position where they were catered to and got everything they wanted in their military career, but I don't know that so I'll ask them directly:Β  what did you do in the military?

Another thing I learned, because of my medical background, is the value of exercise and outdoor activity in general.Β  We're not just talking physical health, either.Β  Mental health is VITAL to being able to function in a leadership position.Β  Golf is great mental exercise.Β  Kudos to ANY President who can play a few times a month.

- Dave

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Quote:

Originally Posted by VegasRenegade

Seriously?

He didn't pick up a stick until he was POTUS?

Another fact check is needed ... as usual.

___

Instead, sources say Obama, a lefty, has shaved a few strokes off his handicap since 2008 and plays to about 18. But he is far from the most prolific presidential golfer. No president golfed more than Woodrow Wilson, who played at least a handful of holes nearly every morning on doctor's orders to curb his stress level. Dwight D. Eisenhower played nearly 800 rounds across two terms, inspiring Democrats to say Ike had invented the 36-hole workweek. (The quip was literally true; Eisenhower played every Wednesday afternoon and Saturday morning.) Compared with them, Obama is a dilettante, although one with the passion of the recently converted. He didn't take up the game until his mid-30s, while a state senator in Springfield, Ill. His wife, Michelle, nudged him onto the links, hoping he wouldΒ trade his smashmouth brand of pickup basketball for the more gentlemanly game of golf. Now Obama sees the game as his only chance to just wander around.

Golf, for Obama, has become "a sanctuary of sorts," says Andres W. Lopez, an attorney who has known the president since their Harvard days. Still, there might be one more reason Obama has stuck to his beloved game -- and why Romney's camp seems bent on making him quit. Since the 1980 presidential election, a curious trend has emerged: Jimmy Carter. Walter Mondale. Michael Dukakis. Bob Dole. Al Gore. John Kerry. John McCain. None of them played golf. All of them tasted bitter defeat. All of them lost to golfers.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/8448356/president-barack-obama-keeps-golf-games-quiet-only-invites-white-house-staffers-espn-magazine

I stand corrected.

Originally Posted by wadesworld

I doubt it, but Joe Biden has attended almost every major sporting event since he took office.

Yeah, that's kind of what VPs do these days from what I've seen.Β  Well, except for the last one.Β  He was too busy shooting campaign contributors on hunting trips.

His entry in our "What did you shoot today" forum would have been fun to read.

Note:Β This thread is 4183 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!