IGNORED

Great Golf Instruction Tips, Videos and Articles

mvmac
Note: This thread is 1561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I really like Martin chuck and the way he teaches. Here is one of my favorite videos from him on how to consistently hit in front of the ball. [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/nkEhBiRQT74[/VIDEO]

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 8 months later...

Sounds familiar..... ;-)

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2015-07/the-four-shots-you-need-hank-haney?mbid=social_twitter

Quote:

Here is a list of four shots you don't need to hit anymore, all the way from the tee to around the green.
1. Hit your 3-wood for accuracy
2. Lay up to your favorite yardage
3. Take dead aim at the flagstick
4. Chip your ball from the fringe

Below, I'll explain why they're obsolete and how you can replace them--and immediately modernize your game.

Hank Haney

ALWAYS HIT DRIVER

A lot of average golfers don't hit the driver as consistently straight as they'd like. The reflex advice has always been to dial down to a 3-wood and put something out there in play. That's a nice thought, but the reality for most middle-handicappers is, they don't hit the 3-wood much different than the driver. If you put the same mediocre swing on a 3-wood that you do on a driver, you're just going to be 20 or 30 yards farther from where you want to go.

And it's actually harder to make solid contact with a 3-wood because the clubface is smaller and you have to tee the ball so much closer to the ground. Unless water or O.B. is a factor, swing your driver and accept the risk of a crooked shot for the potential distance benefit. Even if you hit the 3-wood as well as you can, you're still going to have a significantly longer shot into the green, which offsets most of any accuracy advantage you got.

Hank Haney

GET AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE

Laying up to a favorite distance is a myth that has probably come from selectively watching professional golf on television. You might see a tour player lay up on a par 5 to a preferred wedge distance, but 99 percent of the time if the pros have the opportunity to get near the green safely, they'll bomb it down there. Plus, stats don't lie. At every distance the PGA Tour measures, players hit it closer to the hole on average when they're closer to the target. I don't care how much you love having 7-iron into the green: Over the long term, you're going to shoot better scores if you try to cover as much distance as possible. It's always better to have a wedge in your hand than a longer iron. The only exceptions? When the longer shot puts you at risk of going into a hazard or deep grass, or leaves you with an awkward sidehill or downhill lie.

Hank Haney

PLAY FOR THE CENTER OF THE GREEN

Range-finding technology is so helpful and cool. It's great to know that you need 204 yards to carry that stream off the tee, or that the flag is exactly 147 yards away. But knowing the precise yardage to your target doesn't change the fact that many players don't hit their clubs a consistent distance. You might know that your ideal 8-iron goes 140 yards, but realistically, most go shorter than that. The yardages to the center and back of the green are the ones you should use in determining club selection. Play a round where you ignore the distance to the flag on your approaches and instead play to the center of the green when the pin is in the front and a little past center when it's in the back. Your goal is to end up somewhere in the fat part of the green and leave yourself a good chance to two-putt. When you shoot for the middle, you'll hit more greens and avoid missing where even a tour player would struggle to get up and down.

Hank Haney

PUTT WHENEVER YOU CAN

Want to immediately improve your short game, with virtually no practice? Quit chipping and pitching from manicured fairway grass around the greens.

For the vast majority of weekend players, choosing to putt from those positions will produce a much better average result than hitting any kind of bump-and-run or lofted wedge shot.

Superintendents are actually making this an easier decision than ever because of how tight they're cutting the grass around the greens. Make it a simple rule: If the conditions will let you--a clear path through short grass to the target--use your putter. You already know how to putt, but it's worth practicing some of these shots before your round to get a sense for distance. Drop a few balls at different spots on the fringe of the practice green and try to gauge the speed you need to clear the first cut. Your worst putt will be better than your worst chip. That's never been truer than it is today.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I'm glad to see that Hank has read Lowest Score Wins . It should help his game.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I'm glad to see that Hank has read Lowest Score Wins. It should help his game.

:dance:

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 years later...

Going to try and post more in this thread, so here we go.

Love these kind of simple drills that you can do anywhere to give you some really good feels.

Simple image here (and verification) for how the pelvis works.

• Like 2

Mike McLoughlin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Definitely agree the continuously rotation of the hips helps facilitate the "hip bump".

I like doing these kind of drills below so I can feel how I have to move to pivot correctly. Someone can tell you or recommend some feels but at the end of the day you have to be in charge of your own move.

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Jack Watson said:

That last one is just another in the long line of ideas that are...

:-\ :pound: :hmm:

What about it?

1 hour ago, Jack Watson said:

Not perfect but better than 99 percent of vids

Meh. Preaching a feel regarding the first part. There are plenty of golfers who have to feel that they only turn and don't use their arms at all.

And his "try to cast and it's impossible to do so bullshit," sorry, is just that: complete bullshit. A lot of people don't "speed up the right arm." They flip the shit out of the wrist when told to do so. Yet in Monte's world it's somehow "impossible?" Bullshit. This was a "hot" thing between Monte, Manzella, and a few others two years ago, and we asked ten or twelve golfers to do this. They all flipped more. Horrible changes to their swings. They all flipped the snot out of it. One missed the golf ball completely.

I'm sure it might work with some, but the majority, no, it's garbage. Hot garbage. The only thing worse is how sure Monte is that a feel works for everyone.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

Meh. Preaching a feel regarding the first part. There are plenty of golfers who have to feel that they only turn and don't use their arms at all.

And his "try to cast and it's impossible to do so bullshit," sorry, is just that: complete bullshit. A lot of people don't "speed up the right arm." They flip the shit out of the wrist when told to do so. Yet in Monte's world it's somehow "impossible?" Bullshit. This was a "hot" thing between Monte, Manzella, and a few others two years ago, and we asked ten or twelve golfers to do this. They all flipped more. Horrible changes to their swings. They all flipped the snot out of it. One missed the golf ball completely.

I'm sure it might work with some, but the majority, no, it's garbage. Hot garbage. The only thing worse is how sure Monte is that a feel works for everyone.

It's been a while since I've followed Monte, but the cast from the top is his personal feel IIRC and that's why he teaches it so much.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, billchao said:

It's been a while since I've followed Monte, but the cast from the top is his personal feel IIRC and that's why he teaches it so much.

It may his "personal feel" but I'm not even sure Monte started talking about it first.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

It may his "personal feel" but I'm not even sure Monte started talking about it first.

Memory is fuzzy, I heard it from Dan Carraher before Monte Scheinblum. Of course, someone before him talked about it. And then a person before that guy.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

I doubt it. Pretty sure I read in Golf My Way that Jack felt like he felt like he "released" the club from the top. Mike Austin followers like to throw the clubhead, too. I doubt either of them originated the concept. Anyway, it doesn't matter.

The video relates to a certain group of people and would be better served as a tailored piece of instruction to someone's swing thread rather than a stand-alone golf tip.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, iacas said:

What about it?

I should have said for me.  I guess the bottom line for me is that you were right when you talked to me about public stuff.  So for me that one has long since been shelved.  It doesn't mean it's not 'correct' in some sense.  For me it messes up my key 1.

Sorry for that.:8)

Edited by Jack Watson

8 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

That last one is just another in the long line of ideas that are...

:-\ :pound: :hmm:

It's forcing the pivot to move the arms/ball. If get "armsy", like a lot of golfers, it's not going to work. Pretty simple and easy to do.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 1561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!