IGNORED

High Ball Flight?

Note: This thread is 6189 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Could anyone please give me some tips or tricks to try to lower my ball flight. I have already moved the ball back in my stance a bit, and I don't scoop under the ball, I constantly hit down on the ball. But yet my ball flight is as high as ever. I have always hit my irons very high, higher than normal. I would like lower, piercing shots for accuracy, because I am sick of seeing my ball just flutter around in the sky.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Adam

907D2 9.5º Proforce V2 85 Stiff
904F 15º stiff Speeder Shaft
735.CM Chrome 2-P
Spin-Milled Vokeys Tour Chrome 54.10/60.04
Studio Style Newport 2.5 Black X66 Stand Bag Pro V1

there are 2 things you can try.

1) what i find is try not to follow through as much on your forward swing. Keeping the ball in the back of you stance is a good start. Just try and stop your swing on the followthrough to keep the ball low

2)it could also be the loft of your irons, some have a higher loft on each iron than others do. If thats the case, there is nothing you can do about it besides getting new irons.

I hope either of these help.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Adam,

I have the EXACT same problem you do. I hit the ball incredibly high. I have been told that I need to flatten my swing out more but without tons of practice and a swing coach, I don't think this is going to happen for me. I have done what the others have said, almost playing punch shots at times. I had to do it last night in my league as it was fairly windy out.

I did have a teaching pro tell me to stop worrying about it and there are plenty of players out there who would love to hit it nice and high like I do. He also said that I hit the ball plenty far as well.

Do you find that you are losing distance on your shots or that your wedges aren't good?
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

Thank you. But its not my irons. I just got them last year.... and as for my follow through people already b**** at me for not following through all the way. So it cant be that either. They say I can achieve more distance following through to my full potential.

735.CM Chrome 2-P

Sounds like you're screwed. Not really. You're a 7.0 HC and have an enviable ball flight. Jack Nicklaus collected a bunch of trophies hitting the ball reletively high. Higher ball flight means you can stick slick greens, your long irons stay in the air better, and you hit the ball longer.

None of that solves your problem but maybe it frames it a little for you.

Ogg's suggestion about flattening your swing out is a place to start after consulting a pro about the pros and cons of changing your swing.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

+1 on the what the guys have said above...I try to take more club, keep the bal middle to back of my stance, and just not finish high to keep the ball low and "punch" it. Once you get the hang of the low finish and the yardages you will find it great tool for scoring...

It takes some range time but with a 7HC you should be able to figure it out.

Da Bag:

TM Super Quad R7 (w/Stulz stiff shaft)
TM CGB R7 4-PW (steel)
Cleveland Halo 1i, 3i, 5i (steel)Cleveland CG10 SW, GWHeavy Putter A1MTitliest ProV1xTitliest Tour BagClub Glove head coversFootjoy Classic Dry Premier

• Administrator
Could anyone please give me some tips or tricks to try to lower my ball flight. I have already moved the ball back in my stance a bit, and I don't scoop under the ball, I constantly hit down on the ball. But yet my ball flight is as high as ever. I have always hit my irons very high, higher than normal. I would like lower, piercing shots for accuracy, because I am sick of seeing my ball just flutter around in the sky.

It'll sound odd, but you may want to move the ball FORWARD in your stance. I've seen it work.

First, it'll help you generate a bit less spin (from chopping down on the ball, which you can tend to do if it's back in your stance). Also, it encourages a bit more lateral movement towards the target, so your body and hands lead the clubhead through the ball. A lot of people with the ball back also have a non-optimal weight shift. They may get to their front foot, but often it's after the ball is gone. It may not work, of course, but you did say you moved it backwards and your ball flight was "as high as ever," so it might be worth a shot. Without seeing your swing, it's tough to really say, though.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Adam,

I actually do lose a lot of distance with my wedges in particular... well my vokeys. I have a 54 degree and a 60 degree. I hit the 60 degree about 75 yards and then 54 about 100. That is then followed up by my pitching wedge at 135-140 yards. Its quite the gap to deal with. As for everyone else's input I thank you very much for your responses. I will give your suggestions a shot. Tonight my ball flight was actually a little bit lower... as in I was hitting my two iron as high as most people hit a pitching wedge. I was pretty happy with that actually, because I was hitting my 2-iron 210 yards (flight) into a steady down pour. I only played because I will be gone for the weekend on a class trip to Chicago and my driver FINALLY came in today. I was a happy man, to say the least. Thank you everyone again. I really do appreciate it. Thank you, Adam

735.CM Chrome 2-P

Aren't your clubs designed for a higher launch trajectory?

ummm not that I know of....

unless you know something that I don't. If so please share.

735.CM Chrome 2-P

Not sure is you can get to this link, but it seems pretty good. I have yet to try it though.

http://www.golfdigestchallenge.com//tip.php?tip_id=352
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

ummm not that I know of....

Nope Nope no such luck. I plan on pounding a few balls today... try to figure something out.

735.CM Chrome 2-P

• 3 weeks later...
Had the same sort of problems too... maybe give the new 'Stack Swing' a try on golfdigest, it promise for a lower flight. I've also been hitting the odd one fat, have you found that?
In My Bag:
Driver: 905t, 9.5*, Grafalloy Blue Stiff
3-Wood: 906f2, 15*, NV-S
Hybrid: 585h, 19*, NV-S
Irons: 735.CM, DG S300Wedges: CG10 52*, 56*, Vokey Spin Milled 60*Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: One PlatinumHome Course: Stoke Park Club

No I normally hit the ball pretty solid... but my ball flight is very high. I played Sunday with some grown men and they even commented upon it. So yeah. I just need to make my swing a little flatter I guess. That will take some time.

735.CM Chrome 2-P

Note: This thread is 6189 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!