IGNORED

Callaway irons?

Note: This thread is 6200 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Greetings - I am 52, play 1-3x per week, and have a 25 handicap, and hoping to get better this summer. Currently using Tour Edge HP3 uniflex steel, and I am ready to switch to graphite shafts. Have hit the Aldila NV 85, which I felt comfortable with. I like the Callaway X-20s, Fusions, and Fusion Wide Soles.

Does anyone have any opinions on the performance of these three models? I know the Wide Soles are considered "max game improvement" but have read reviews on the web from players with 12 handicaps using them.

I phoned Callaway and they will make them with the NV shafts.

Thanks

How do you hit the ball? What are your biggest problems on the course? Slice, Draw, Lack of Control?

I guess, what exactly are you looking to improve? The Fusion, and Fusion Wide-Sole are "all-around" game improvers. Nothing improves your game like a good swing, but you're probably not looking to completely overhaul yours.

I would say, if you're looking to drop a few strokes, while gaining some distance and ridding yourself of a bad slice/draw then go with the wide-sole.

Some people may say to stay away from the composite shaft, but even the stock callaway composite shaft is like butter, and has a really low amount of torque (for a composite shaft) so it's not as difficult to square the clubhead at impact.

Players with a 12 handicap, and playing these are either lying about their handicap, or are oblivious to the fact that they should be moving into a more performance orientated iron.

Anyway, answering the first questions will make the decision for you. Spend a lot of time demoing (is that a word?) the clubs and then make your decision.

I hit pretty straight (now that I went from interlocking to overlap + trying to control tempo). My issues are consistency and control. I tried the Adams A2, but I dont feel confident looking at the smallish head. Plus they felt clanky.

Is there a chance that I will "outgrow" the wide soles and that they will limit my improvement?

BTW, if you look under the "reviews" area on this site, there is a nice review of the wide sole. One of the members responding to the review claims he went from 18 hdcp to 12 hdcp in 2 months becasue the wide soles are so great.

Is there a chance that I will "outgrow" the wide soles and that they will limit my improvement?

The one thing really limiting your improvement is your swing. Clubs only do so much. You need consistency in your swing before you get consistency on the course.

But, a good set of clubs will also help a lot. Mostly, they will help mentally, and we all know how much of a mental game this is. If you hit better, you feel better. Sometimes all an average player needs (average as in all of us non-pros) is a confidence boost, which a good set of clubs will definitely give you. Once you start hitting a little better, you relax, loosen up, and you swing better, and score better. When you hit bad, you start down that downhill road of beating yourself up...and that road leads directly to a cliff if you keep going down it. Golf is one of the most ridiculous sports ever conceived. But damn is it fun if youre good at it. Because of your handicap, I would say go with the wide soles. Once you get your handicap down, and more consistency in your swing, then you can move up to some performance irons. With your frequency of play, you could iron out your swing within the end of this year. It will take a lot of perseverance, and patience, but it pays off like a million dollar sex deal.

Thanks. I think I like the wide soles. My only concern is exactly what you said---I buy them (not cheap) and iron out my swing, and then what, trade up for "game-improvement" irons (in my case may be X-20s or R7s for example).

Why not get get "game improvemen" (X-20) now instead of "max game improvement" (wide sole).

Guess I will ponder that one for awhile.

Iam 55 and I play the X18's with Graphploy prolaunch blue in all my clubs and love them.I have played graphite shafted irons since Mickelson came out of college and played the Yonex Tour Forged.You are over 50 and will not be gaining any swing speed as you get older so by all means go to a game improvement iron that you feel confident with.Get fit for your money it is well worth the time and there should be no expense if you buy the clubs from the fitter.Shop around if they want your bussiness make them earn it.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Flap is right, get fitted whats another 7-10 days wait for the new clubs if they perform better for you.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Flap is right, get fitted whats another 7-10 days wait for the new clubs if they perform better for you.

Ugh, my irons are on backorder for three more weeks. Something about callaway not having the rifle shafts in stock.

Greetings - I am 52, play 1-3x per week, and have a 25 handicap, and hoping to get better this summer. Currently using Tour Edge HP3 uniflex steel, and I am ready to switch to graphite shafts. Have hit the Aldila NV 85, which I felt comfortable with. I like the Callaway X-20s, Fusions, and Fusion Wide Soles.

Get fitted. That is the key good shots. The fusions are expensive. The x-20s are nice. They do have a big offset tough. My search for irons was about 6 months long. Demo the six irons on the range. See what feels good. If you can play with someone and ask if you can try one of their clubs.

Good luck.

Yeah, a lot of pressure. Rise above it. Harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness energy, block bad.
Feel the flow, Happy. It's circular. It's Like a carousel. You get on the horse. It goes up, down and around. Circular. Circle. With the music,the flow. All good things.I...

Note: This thread is 6200 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!