IGNORED

Mizuno Blades?

Domenic
Note:Β This thread is 4363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Okay, so everyone will probs see this as ridiculous. "What's a 22 handicap, 13 year old kids wondering about Mizzy blades?" Honestly, I'm just curious. What do you play, and why? What's the difference in all the MP and then a 2 digit number. Wouldn't you just rather forgiveness? Screw feedback, I'm confused

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

I'm confused by what question your asking. Β IMO here's what it comes down to, if you're competitive, whether it's playing against your buddies for a couple bucks or lower your handicap, play something more forgiving than you need it. Β But if you just play for fun then why not play whatever you want?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

True. but good, local amateurs, even my uncle, play more workable irons, and I wonder why? Even pro's, I mean who really cares about feedback when its going straight. My other question was if anyone played Mizuno blades, which ones, and why they play them?

Game improvement and super game improvement irons are meant to get the ball up in the air faster and go straight.Β  For the beginner and high handicapper they will work just fine and help make the game more fun.

Blades give more feedback and are more workable, which for a better golfer is a plus.Β  If you are behind a tree and need to create a draw or fade to get the ball around it and on the green, a good player can do this a lot more easily with blades.

The decision on which ones to get is an individual one.

but wouldn't higher handicapppers be behind a tree more often? I get it, workability but how many times are you behind a tree. It just seems more sensical for one to get even semi GI's like AP1's and aim straight for the pin. Just my opinion

#1 Player in the world plays cavity backs, Mizuno MP 62's. Β Lee Westwood plays PING i10. Β Pros play what works for them, looks, launch conditions spin conditions etc. Β Adam Scott went way from blades a couples year ago to cavity backs because he felt he didn't spin the ball enough. Β He recently went back to blades, but shows that it's not always about forgivness but just having the club fit what you need. Β Some play PING G15s and others play compact muscle backs.

And just cause they're pros doesn't mean they hit it straight, no one hits it straight. Β They all have a pattern and play that shot most of the time.

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator

There are only two ways in which a GI iron is "more workable" than a blade.

Vertically, the GI is resistant to hitting the ball low. The blade resists hitting the ball high, but not to the same extent as the GI resists hitting it low.

Sideways, as in curvature, on center contact it's irrelevant. It's only on off-center hits (which isn't how anyone defines "workable") that the blade is "more workable" - but again, that's abusing the definition. There's a VERY small degree to which the blade is "more workable" left and right and that's simply due to the fact that blades tend to be smaller and with less offset, and thus, a skilled golfer can more rotate the clubface about itself to control where the clubface is pointing at impact. A longer toe-to-heel iron will tend to resist this fine-tuning of clubface angles both because the CG is farther away from the axis of the shaft.

The latter is a very small factor. If you were configuring mouse sensitivity from 0 to 100 it might be like changing the sensitivity from 77 on the largest clunkiest GI iron ever to 80 or 81 on the smallest blade. Not much.

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Domenic

but wouldn't higher handicapppers be behind a tree more often? I get it, workability but how many times are you behind a tree. It just seems more sensical for one to get even semi GI's like AP1's and aim straight for the pin. Just my opinion

and...

so people play blades for feel then? or for looks?

Good players don't use anything for looks.

You will find that many of the better players you see have virtually no intetest in equipment. Golf clubs are tools and they use what works for thme and only chgange if they have a good reason to.

I have heard several conversations between fans and pros and when they are asked about shafts and launch angles and stuff, the pros quite often say that they have no idea or inteterest and use what the tech heads say give them the best numbers.

Don't get hung up on equipment.

Some photographers are more intetested in camera gear than taking photos. It's the same with golf. Β Nothing wrong with cool toys, though.

Players usually "work" the ball to get to the pin, not to get out from trees.

You aren't going to go straight at the pin if it is tucked to one side behind a bunker. Ideally, you would start Β the ball outside the bunker and move it towards the pin so that if you miss it slightly you have a good chance of being on the green rather than being in a bunker. Same goes with wind. You have to be able to move the ball against a crosswind if you really want to control where the ball ends up.

For example: If the pin is on the left hand side of the green with nasty stuff on the left, the player would rather have the ball moving from the right hand side of the green towards the pin to have a bit of a margin for error. Pros don't really want to hit the ball straight.

Don't be fooled into thinking that you can't move the ball with CB irons, because you can.

PLease don't start buying in to the "good plyers use blades" argument. Most of the "blades" people refer to aren't blades at all, they have cavities, and one way to identify yourself as a wannabe or a newbie (this is not directed at you) is to start going on about "blades".

As stated, most pros use CB irons and they do OK. Β CB doesn't mean GI and GI doesn't mean CB.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Β 

Β 

so people play blades for feel then? or for looks?

Looks, they think it's what the pros play and under the perception it's what good players should play because it's more "workable". Β Most golfers don't know what information Erik just shared

Mike McLoughlin

Originally Posted by Shorty

Players usually "work" the ball to get to the pin, not to get out from trees.

Ding ding ding...we have a winner! The true essence of working a ball is to score and minimize the damage if you miss. The tree part is valid, but Shorty drives the point home.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*Β  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100Β 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S |Β Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro PlusΒ Β 

Okay, so everyone will probs see this as ridiculous. "What's a 22 handicap, 13 year old kids wondering about Mizzy blades?" Honestly, I'm just curious. What do you play, and why? What's the difference in all the MP and then a 2 digit number. Wouldn't you just rather forgiveness? Screw feedback, I'm confused

This is all very important, but you'll cover Mizuno in year 1 of Tour Qualifying School.

Mizuno 101:

- the history of golf

- how Mizuno invented the forged blade

- why the best players play game blades

- why the best of the best play game Mizuno grain flow forged blades

- stories from the other side (anectodes from people who've pured a grain flow forged Mizuno blade)

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I just got a strong desire to buy some MP 59's. It'll be totes unbenificial to me right? Or will I progress the same as if I bought a G20. And when I say "blades" I mean anything in the MP category, or mainly, anything forged. TP irons, Razr Forged, muscleback. etc. etc.

I just got a strong desire to buy some MP 59's. It'll be totes unbenificial to me right? Or will I progress the same as if I bought a G20. And when I say "blades" I mean anything in the MP category, or mainly, anything forged. TP irons, Razr Forged, muscleback. etc. etc.

b3_huh.gif

Well if you want my true opinion, stick with what you have, most pros as many other people have said dont use blades... A good set of irons to use are the Nike MachSpeeds they don't get enough credit in my opinion, and have dropped my handicap for 25 to a 10, and will now be switching to Ping I20's but MachSpeeds are good, and aren't the most exspensive iron either.

Try them and see. Simples!

Incidentally I tried the MP59's recently and I hit them MUCH better than my current cavity backs.

SWING DNA
Speed [77]Β TempoΒ [5]Β ToeDown [5]Β KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5Β° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305Β [:-P]

It comes down to feel and feedback.Β  There is nothing like the feel of a perfectly struck shot with a blade and because they offer very little help, they give you excellent feedback and let you know when you arent striking the ball well.Β  Not to mention they are absolutely beautiful irons.

Having said that though, they are irons that you need to practice with several times a week in order to play well with them, so if you are someone who doesnt have time to practice and just wants to pull out your clubs on Sunday and play well with them, you need not apply.

Honestly, since Ive started playing forged Mizunos, I cant stand cast cavity-backs.

Whats in my :sunmountain:Β C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno:Β JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno:Β JPX 850Β 15*, :mizuno:Β JPX-850 19*, :mizuno:Β JPX Fli-Hi #4,Β :mizuno:Β JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno:Β MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland:Β Smart Square BladeΒ and :bridgestone:Β B330-S

my irons aren't exactly SGI, or even that much GI . If not MP 59, maybe something like CI11 or JPX 800 Pro, that I can "grow into"

The reason why top pros tend to use blades and not game improvement ones is so that they can shape the ball whatever way they want. Β They require to hit a wide variety of shot shapes and blades allow them to do this. Β They are that good and have that much control over their game to do so. If you give them game improvement ones they wont be able to do it as well. If you give a high handicapper blades he will perform worse than game improvement ones.

Note:Β This thread is 4363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!