IGNORED

Recommendation on STAND BAGs

Note: This thread is 4463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm looking to purchase a stand bag. I want something with sufficient storage/pockets. Other than that I'm not really sure what to look for when purchasing a bag. I've also seen bags with different divider options but not sure which is the better option. Any suggestions on bags I should check out and what features I should look for?

Thanks

Originally Posted by pfetzy46

I'm looking to purchase a stand bag. I want something with sufficient storage/pockets.

Your 2 wishes are incompatible imo.

Having said that, avoid the ogio "zipperless ball pocket" because you can only fill the bottom before balls start falling out, so it's a big waste of space.

Also, avoid contoured pockets because that also means less space.

In my bag ... 12 year old Balvenie DoubleWood

• Administrator

Originally Posted by WWBDD

Your 2 wishes are incompatible imo.

They're not incompatible. You don't know what "sufficient" is and who knows how light a bag he requires.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm big on Sun Mountain - it doesn't advertise a club brand, so it doesn't stand out like "Titleist", "TaylorMade" or "Callaway" and they are generally well-made.

Remember, the normal rule of thumb is the lighter the bag, the more likely it can't take a beating. In other words, don't go around twisting and tossing them around.

Another general rule - the bigger the bag, the more storage room it has.

It all depends on whether you walk a lot, how lightweight you want the bag, and how much storage ... I like at least a 9.5 inch diameter bag and four + dividers for fitting clubs.

This link will give you an idea of sun mountain bags -- they are pricey, but one can find closeouts from the year or two prior to find a deal.

http://www.sunmountain.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view;=category&virtuemart;_category_id=6&Itemid;=18

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I bought last year's Ogio Grom a few months ago just as Ogio.com was clearing out their last few, and though I must say I'm a bit jealous of the new ones that have elastic straps, I'm very happy with my purchase. My previous bags were a Nike Sasquatch that was way too big and heavy (one extreme end of the lightness/storage spectrum) and then I got a Titleist x86 (now called the Lightweight Stand Bag) that could have used a few more pockets. The Ogio is pretty nicely in between those two, and I recommend it.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Quote:

I'm big on Sun Mountain ...

It all depends on whether you walk a lot, how lightweight you want the bag, and how much storage ... I like at least a 9.5 inch diameter bag and four + dividers for fitting clubs. ...

You might check out the 2011 Sun Mountain 3.5 SuperLight. Has four fully lined club divider slots, and clubs drop in easily. I think it has better club drop than the six-slot 2010 3.5 SL. Has seven pouches.

If you like, look at my review: http://thesandtrap.com/products/sun-mountain-2011-superlight-3-5/reviews/4227

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Unless you really want to advertise your club brand, Sun Mountain is the way to go. Nice selection of great bags. I'd suggest the 2011 3.5 superlight, only 4 club dividers (but still easy to remove clubs) but good storage room and very light. The Four 5 or the new Hybrid, slightly bigger/heavier than the 3.5 (but not too heavy to comfortably carry) with the same general layout, except it has 14 individual dividers. I personally use the 3.5 and I love it for walking. I considered the Four 5 when I bought mine, and really the only reason I didn't pick the Four 5, is I liked a color scheme better on the 3.5

Ogio makes some interesting bags as well, I know the Grom is a very popular model. But I haven't used any in a long time.

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

Agreed on Sun Mountain.

I have a Four 5 and its perfect.

And from what I understand their warranty is top notch (I have never used the warranty though).

Sun Mountain Four 5

Driver: Ping G5 10.5* regular

3 Wood: Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 15* regular

5 Wood: Callaway Steelhead 17.5* regular

Irons: Ping Eye 2 3-W and Eye 2 SW

Putter: Ping Anser 4

Balls: Titleist HP2 Tour

Shoes: Footjoy Contour and Adidas Adicomfort 2

This is great! I've been checking out the Sun Mountain and Ogio's online and they look like great bags. I've got some decisions to make. I appreciate all the feedback/info. Thanks!

I've had poor experiences with Ogio's leg system - had one carry bag fall completely apart. I'm sure there are such stories about all bags -- but the new SM bags also have a ride leg lock that holds the legs at the bag when riding, and the bottoms have been redesigned to be friendlier on carts.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

if you want, i'd suggest the new 2012 titleist 14-way...i picked mine up for $160 on ebay (shipped)...it's an awesome bag...the sun mountain four 5 is basically the same bag as well...best of luck in your search !

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

I just received the new Ogio Grom XX as a Christmas gift and would definitely recommend it!  I haven't had a lot of time to mess with it but my first impressions are very good.  LOVE the 14 way divider system, lots of pockets varying in size and IMHO the zipperless ball pocket works very well.  Before adding my clubs, I put one box of balls in (if you need more than 12 balls during a round...maybe golf isn't the sport for you, ha) and turned the bag upside down (which would not happen during a round, hopefully...) and it stayed closed with no issues.  I will admit it was a little bit easier to open than I had imagined, but seems to work just fine!  I will say that the legs don't seem to extent out completely every time you set the bag down.  I'm hoping it just needs some use before they loosen up enough to completely extend every time.  I've always heard really good things about the other bags discussed above as well, just a personal preference really.  Hope this helps and good luck!

In my Grom XX:
cleveland.gif Launcher 12.0* Fujikura Saishin 65 S and 15* Fujikura Fit-On Gold R // ping.gif G10 Irons, AWT Steel S, Fitted Purple Dot// cleveland.gifCG14 Chrome 56*, 14 // odyssey.gif Crimson Series 550 Mallet, 34" // srixon.gifZ-Star

In terms of stability and function i'd definatly recommend PING bags, they are solid. My only beef with them is the strap system. Its not awful by any means its just that I like the strap i have on my Titleist bag. Unfortunatly the legs on it are useless and it just falls over all the time.

My recommendation is the PING Latitude V2 - Loads of room, Stable and looks great!

909 D2 10.5º S-Flex   RBZ 3W 15º S-Flex

909h 19º S-Flex

G15 (4-6) i15 (7-PW) Project X Rifle 5.5  52º, 56º & 58º

California Del Mar 34"     Pro-V1

"Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic"

I have the Titleist 14 Way which is the exact same bag as Sun Mountain 4.5. Great back and amazing quality. Best bag I have ever owned.

titleist.gif Titleist 910 D3 - Project X 6.0 7C3 Shaft  |  adams.gif Adams XTD Super Hybrid - 15 degrees  
adams.gif Adams Idea Pro A12 Hybrid - 18 degrees 
Adams CB2 - KBS Tour Shafts - 4 - PW
vokey.gif Vokey 54.10 Oil Can  |  vokey.gif Vokey 60.07 Oil Can  |  rife.gif Rife Trinidad - SuperStroke

Note: This thread is 4463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!