IGNORED

Why are there so many push cart haters?

Note: This thread is 2883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Dave40

Actually a walker plays at a faster pace than two people in a cart. Don't feel like you are slowing the pace of play.

actually, that walker 'feels' like he is.

faster or slower depends on a lot more than push vs ride.

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by rehmwa

actually, that walker 'feels' like he is.

faster or slower depends on a lot more than push vs ride.

A single person playing should typically be faster than 2 or more people playing regardless of riding or walking.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

How fast depends more on where the ball goes and how long it takes to find it than anything. You could warp drive between shots and be slow if you spend all day spraying it all over the course. Balls in the fairway can usually be seen from the tee. Balls in knee deep unmaintained scrub is golf's version of a twisted Easter egg hunt. The golfer that can travel to a ball and play it again asap will always be faster.

Dave :-)

If two people are using a cart they drive to one ball, wait for the group in front to clear, hit the first ball, then drive around looking for the second ball, then wait for the second player to choose his club, take 5 practice swings, and then finally hit and move.

If two people are using a cart they drive to one ball, wait for the group in front to clear, hit the first ball, then drive around looking for the second ball, then wait for the second player to choose his club, take 5 practice swings, and then finally hit and move.

Sure if they're idiots. Nothing says everyone pushing a cart has a brain. Slow is due to lack of common sense not how you travel to and from balls. I mostly ride but I also walk. When I ride I can make a club selection within 20 or so yards of my ball just watching the gps tick down. If the GPS says 143 out or whatever I grab that club, a wedge or two along with the putter and meet my cart partner at the green. If we get paired with a walker they'll either wear out attempting to keep up or fall back a hole if nobody is behind.

There's no way a walker can keep up with a cart playing smart. Especially on a course where there's distance between greens and tees. Some of the places we play have paths that run under streets and it's some 150-200 yards between holes. You'd have to putt out and run to keep up. I only walk park style courses.

Sure if they're idiots. Nothing says everyone pushing a cart has a brain. Slow is due to lack of common sense not how you travel to and from balls. I mostly ride but I also walk. When I ride I can make a club selection within 20 or so yards of my ball just watching the gps tick down. If the GPS says 143 out or whatever I grab that club, a wedge or two along with the putter and meet my cart partner at the green. If we get paired with a walker they'll either wear out attempting to keep up or fall back a hole if nobody is behind. There's no way a walker can keep up with a cart playing smart. Especially on a course where there's distance between greens and tees. Some of the places we play have paths that run under streets and it's some 150-200 yards between holes. You'd have to putt out and run to keep up. I only walk park style courses.

I agree that many courses are just not walkable. And for good reason such courses do not allow walking, at least during peak traffic times. In my experience most twosomes or foursomes who ride don't use the riding carts correctly in the way that you described. And it just takes one slow group to stack up half the course.

i'm not gonna lie, when i see a younger guy <40s pushing a cart, i find it funny

esp when they're grouped with a much older guy who carries his bag

but after that initial chukle, i couldn't care less

Worth mentioning is I went out early today, got paired up with a 2some riding and we were the 2nd time of the day behind a 3some of older men walking. Despite one of the guys in my group playing some horrific golf we finished in 3.5 hrs. The walkers were pretty darn fast we only had to wait in them a few times and only on par 3's and 5's.

When people play smart it can be fast walking or riding. But we had to get creative a few times. Like I said one guy played bad. He looked for balls too long and too often. Twice I had to lend my cart to his partner to go back to his cart and retrieve clubs after we left him behind. I offered to let him out his bag on my cart but he declined because he had treated the terrible golfer to a round for his bday. But we made it work and we stayed ahead of the single being us. Though I think the single only played 9 holes. Anyway we motored through there quick to be done in 3.5.

Worth mentioning is I went out early today, got paired up with a 2some riding and we were the 2nd time of the day behind a 3some of older men walking. Despite one of the guys in my group playing some horrific golf we finished in 3.5 hrs. The walkers were pretty darn fast we only had to wait in them a few times and only on par 3's and 5's. When people play smart it can be fast walking or riding. But we had to get creative a few times. Like I said one guy played bad. He looked for balls too long and too often. Twice I had to lend my cart to his partner to go back to his cart and retrieve clubs after we left him behind. I offered to let him out his bag on my cart but he declined because he had treated the terrible golfer to a round for his bday. But we made it work and we stayed ahead of the single being us. Though I think the single only played 9 holes. Anyway we motored through there quick to be done in 3.5.

Those old walkers that play early in the morning are fast. It might take them 3 to reach a par 4 green, but they will get to the green in a straight line from the tee box. They don't fool with practice swings or taking more than a couple of seconds to line up a putt either. Don't bet any money against them. I've gotten my clock cleaned by more than a few 70 and 80 year old guys.

Those old walkers that play early in the morning are fast. It might take them 3 to reach a par 4 green, but they will get to the green in a straight line from the tee box. They don't fool with practice swings or taking more than a couple of seconds to line up a putt either.

Don't bet any money against them. I've gotten my clock cleaned by more than a few 70 and 80 year old guys.

Seriously dudes were like ants on rockets out there. And yeah I don't play money games with the old timers. There's a guy at my former home course that can barely take the club back to waist level and the same coming back and he is solid. First time I played with him and his wife I swear I heard them making fun of me.

Another example of grown men way to concerned with what another grown man is doing. My wife got me a push cart when my Physical therapist (bad back) suggested that I walk more instead of ride. My wife realized that I probably will never stop golfing so the cart was a compromise. Im 37 years old, I own a flat brimmed cap and a push cart LOL. I appreciate this forum for making me realize that Cargo shorts weren't cool on the course but thats another thread all together

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I know part of the reason I carry is simply because, depending on the tournament, you are not allowed to use a push-cart. I know that some CJGA tournaments specifically stated that you couldn't use a push cart unless you were a girl in the 8-12 bracket (I'm looking at you, Flat Irons tournament). The other reason is the fact that, unfortunately, you will get laughed at if you show up to a high school tournament with a push cart. It's not really a fair thing, but it happens nonetheless.

That being said, I will use a push cart whenever I'm planning on playing more than 27 holes in a day. It just makes it so much easier on your feet and back to be walking only on your own weight, as well as being able to avoid picking up/setting it down for every shot.

• 5 months later...
I'll be 50 this September and still carry but I know there will be a time where my old bones will want the break and a push/pull cart will be or me. Something about walking while playing is just the way to go for me, unless it's a new course with massive walks from tee to green or a drinking scramble and then carts a fine.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I used to carry until I felt what was probably a minuscus (sp?) tear in one of my knees, pull cart after that, push cart now. I think if someone gave me a hard time I'd want to ask them if they were auditioning for a PlanetFitness commercial as one of the lunks. That being said, nobody's ever given me any hassle about how I transport my gear nor what color my golf balls are. As to power carts, some courses I've played have had rules requiring the powered carts to remain on the cart path. Drive the cart perpendicular to your ball, stop and hike across the fairway to your ball, whack your ball, then trudge back to the cart and drive forward. On those courses I think that sometimes the drivers walked farther than the walkers. ;) Life is too short to deal with insecure people who feel the need to knock others down in order to boost their own ego. I have no idea what the right answer is, I'm just here to enjoy a round of golf, or at least read and write about the game.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

With a bad back I have always avoided carrying (started at age 40), and will sometimes use a pull cart for 9 full length holes, or 18 on an executive course (about 4400 yards), unless it is in the dead of Summer.  I have never run into a problem with friends or strangers caring about how I transport myself and my clubs - it sounds like your "friends" are the exception.

When I play by myself I walk.  I have always carried my bag until just recently.  As I have gotten older (65) I do not tolerate the heat as well as I used to.  To enable me to continue to walk when I play, I bought a push cart.  I find it easier to walk the course that way. I am into comfort and enjoying my outing, so I really don't care what others may think about using a push cart...Two bottles of water and a bag of sunflower seeds and I am good for a round of 18.

Roy

I have owned a push cart since about the 3rd month of playing golf. I love to walk the course and found being able to pack my bag for any weather is great. When it rains I pop up my umbrella and put it in my cart holder and grab my rain pants from my cart and bone dry for the rest of the round.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Why is there a thread re: push cart haters, for cryin out loud, get your bag around the course anyway you want to. Sheesh

Note: This thread is 2883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!