Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Clubchucker

Grips have gotten outrageous....

41 posts in this topic

Has anyone else noticed how expensive golf grips have gotten in a relatively short amount of time?  I have always regripped my clubs myself.  Not really to save money...I just like doing it and usually do it at least once if not twice a year, depending on rounds played and/or if I like the current grip.

I started thinking of what grips I might try next and was SHOCKED at how the price of every grip has gone up.  Currently I have the Golf Pride New Decade Multicompound on my clubs.  I put them on at the beginning of last season.  Looked at the cost now...bet they've went up at least $2 each since last season.  They're now running roughly $9.40/ea and I'm pretty sure I got them for about $7.50 last season.  Heck, it wasn't that long ago when they were $5-$6 each.

I know the cost of petroleum has went up (which I'm assuming they're made of) but it hasn't went up no 35%.  And it certainly isn't "R&D;" since ALL grips have went up, even the standard Golf Pride Tour Velvet Cords which have been around forever.  By the time I regrip 13 clubs, tape, solvent, etc...that's a damn good start on money I could use to buy new irons instead.  Just wondering if anyone else had noticed.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I don't use fancy grips, either Golf Pride Tour Velvet or Lamkin Crossline, which are still pretty cheap at about $4 a pop.  But yeah, I agree with you--some of them are up there, and it makes little sense to me.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You just need to "shop" better and find high quality alternatives. They're out there you just have to know where to look and what to look for.

Grip prices have gone up.  While oil prices fluctuate, I agree they haven't exceeded 35% increases over last year.   Remember we're just not paying for the materials required to make the grips we're also having the extra cost to ship the grips to warehouses, distributors and resellers piled on top.

Originally Posted by k-troop

I don't use fancy grips, either Golf Pride Tour Velvet or Lamkin Crossline, which are still pretty cheap at about $4 a pop.  But yeah, I agree with you--some of them are up there, and it makes little sense to me.

I've used Lampkin grips before and like them a lot; actually that was one I also checked.  According to the Lampkin website, the Crossline Standard Full Cord is $10.49!  Maybe it's because I'm looking strictly at corded grips, but that's what I've always used and I've been playing for 20+ years.

@LBlack: I've searched all my normal (trusted) outlets and they're all very similar in price.  My point was the actual cost of the grips rising....even the cheaper places are much more expensive than what they used to be.  What they're selling now for $6 I used to be able to get for $3.50 a year or two ago.

I had Dunn put a crossline on my hybrid a few weeks ago.  I don't remember exactly how much it was, but it wasn't much:  $4.00 to $5.00 range.

Lamkin crossline is $3.69 on Golfsmith.  Full cord is $8.19.

Originally Posted by k-troop

Lamkin crossline is $3.69 on Golfsmith.  Full cord is $8.19.

It has to be something with the cords.  The regular Crossline is pretty much as I remember, but the full cord is a lot more expensive.  I had Crossline cords on maybe two years ago and I know I didn't pay over $5.50/ea.  I admit my original comments were made based only on looking at corded grips.  Stupid sweaty hands!  LOL.

Simple supply and demand - from what I've learned here over the past year, seems many if not most better players use corded grips.      Imagine that caliber of player will pay a premium for their favorite grip & the mfg's know it...

You have to get stuff on sale and/or clearance. I just got a full set of GP New Decades for 2.99/grip @ Golf Galaxy - but I caught a clearance. Unless you're in a bind, there's no point in paying full price for any golf stuff unless you absolutely have to have the stuff right when it comes out.

Quote:

...  Remember we're just not paying for the materials required to make the grips we're also having the extra cost to ship the grips to warehouses, distributors and resellers piled on top.

The last few years, the variety in grips has just skyrocketed. Thicknesses get set at the factory, not built up by tape layers. Also we have light, medium and heavy weight grips. All these make for separate stock-keeping units (SKUs).

With more SKUs, you lose economies of scale. If you make and sell 1 million units of grip X, you have a unit cost lower than if you make and sell 250K units of grip Xa, Xb, Xc, and Xd. The little variations in weight, hardness, and design, plus extra handling requirements, all increase the cost of individual grips.

For those of you who get grips changes every winter, you can sometimes get a break on the installation cost post-Christmas. In cold weather areas, the club fitters want extra business during slack time, and will give you a good deal.

I've used Lampkin grips before and like them a lot; actually that was one I also checked.  According to the Lampkin website, the Crossline Standard Full Cord is $10.49!  Maybe it's because I'm looking strictly at corded grips, but that's what I've always used and I've been playing for 20+ years.

@LBlack: I've searched all my normal (trusted) outlets and they're all very similar in price.  My point was the actual cost of the grips rising....even the cheaper places are much more expensive than what they used to be.  What they're selling now for $6 I used to be able to get for $3.50 a year or two ago.

Would these suffice? [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/212661/width/375/height/405][IMG]http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/212661/width/375/height/405[/IMG][/URL]

I do actually like those...but about an hour ago I ordered some different (non-corded) that I'm going to try out.  Lamkin Crossline Tour.  We'll see how they work out...if they don't, then at least they were only $3.95/ea.  First non-corded grip in many years so who knows...may end up liking them better.

Originally Posted by inthehole

Simple supply and demand - from what I've learned here over the past year, seems many if not most better players use corded grips.      Imagine that caliber of player will pay a premium for their favorite grip & the mfg's know it...

I do pay more for my grip of choice. They're twice as expensive (and discontinued I believe) but I easily get > 3 times the wear so it's worth it. Hard to say how long my GP Softie full cords will last on my Mizunos since this will be season 5 with them and I rotate sets. Then again I still have the original stock grips on my Clevelands and I bought those irons used off ebay 2 years ago. Maybe I'm less picky since switching to full cords.

I have played the Lamkin Croosline Tour grips on the royal/navy color for the past few years. I buy them off of Ebay. A full set of 13 grips, tape and solvent cost me less than $35 shipped to my door...great grip and cheap.

I got a bunch of those Goodyear Tour Traction for $1.57 per. Hireko has the Crossline Tour elite for $1.25 per and Crossline Tour for $2.83 per.

They have gone up and some prices are just crazy. Each year, Golf Town will run a 50% off deal on grips and installation, which is great. Regripping a couple of times a year can add up fast. Need to spend the time to learn to do it myself.