IGNORED

Shanks

Note: This thread is 3606 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by jeremehubbard

I have a case of the shanks, but it is because I do not know what I am doing lol

What about my weight transfer from back to front?  If I am swaying back to front too much, would that lead my hands too quickly?

Not sure what you are saying with the "hands too quickly" thing there, but there are many ways to shank.  I know most of them by four letter words.  Sounds like you may need to get some assistance, it is going be hard to help you based on this post.  Lost of fun shank threads around here including one of my own I might say.  Maybe post a video as well if you would like.  I love watching shank videos, watch mine all the time.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

All this shank talk lately has got me thinking.  Sometimes I miss the shanks.  The sounds of the ball hitting that hosel is like nothing else.  You hear that and you are like oh S#@t before you even see the ball.  It is like a surprise roller coaster drop.  You know that same feeling where you drop from the highest point and your stomach feels like it is going to come out of your mouth.  The best part about your first shank of the day though is you don't expect it.  You get that feeling without even knowing its coming.  I mean with a roller coaster you know its coming, and people pay for that, a shank is better in that sense.  Really when you think about it, the shanks should be kind of fun, right?

• Upvote 1

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

Originally Posted by cipher

All this shank talk lately has got me thinking.  Sometimes I miss the shanks.  The sounds of the ball hitting that hosel is like nothing else.  You hear that and you are like oh S#@t before you even see the ball.  It is like a surprise roller coaster drop.  You know that same feeling where you drop from the highest point and your stomach feels like it is going to come out of your mouth.  The best part about your first shank of the day though is you don't expect it.  You get that feeling without even knowing its coming.  I mean with a roller coaster you know its coming, and people pay for that, a shank is better in that sense.  Really when you think about it, the shanks should be kind of fun, right?

You, sir, have lost your mind.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

You, sir, have lost your mind.

Nate

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

That is a similar concept to what an instructor told me.  He said, if you're ever mid-round and trying to fight the shanks, just address the ball and make an effort to hit the ball off of the toe of the club.  The golf ball gives some physical and visual feedback for the same concept, it appears.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by iacas

I think that's only really the case because the other nemeses - fat, thin, slice, etc. - are gone from their game. So shanking is the only one that remains. It's one of the poor player's nemeses as well…

And can be caused by coming over the top as easily as it can be caused by being under plane.

Found this quote in cyberspace:         " That said, if you look at the tour players , they do the exact opposite of the two causes of a slice. Just about all of them swing underneath the plane on the downswing , and just about all of them have some form of a strong grip. (It's funny how it works that way)

So, grip it strong, hit it long, and you can't go wrong!"

Is it true that almost all PGA Tour pros swing "underneath the plane?"   If it's true,  then what compensation do they make to avoid striking the heel (and sometimes hosel ---a la shank) of the clubface?   A stronger grip seems like it would close the clubface even more and exacerbate the problem---shanks. Is the author just talking about what the (tour players) do with their woods and drivers?

Surely "under the plane" with an iron is dangerous. Right?

Driver: Taylormade Superfast 2.0.  9.5 Stiff Reax 4.8

3 Wood: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 Loft 15 Stiff  Reax 4.8

Irons: Mizuno MP-64 4 iron. MP-69, 5-PW, DG S-300 Shafts. 

Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11, 50 (gap) and 56 (sand).   

Putter: Odyssey Two Ball putter (circa 2004) 

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

• Administrator
Originally Posted by cutshot878

Is it true that almost all PGA Tour pros swing "underneath the plane?"

No.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by cutshot878

Found this quote in cyberspace:         "That said, if you look at the tour players, they do the exact opposite of the two causes of a slice. Just about all of them swing underneath the plane on the downswing, and just about all of them have some form of a strong grip. (It's funny how it works that way)

So, grip it strong, hit it long, and you can't go wrong!"

What the heck is "some form of a strong grip"?  Yeah both statements are wrong.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 7 months later...
Afternoon. So I had sometime off work yesterday to hit some balls, but here in KY its snowing so i went to a indoor facility. after i hit about 20 warm ups then when i started hit some wedge shots out of no where here come the shanks about every 1 out of 5. I could not figure out what was going on. so i put the clubs down walked over to the putting facility for about 30 mins, came back and they where gone! can anyone explain how or why the shanks haunt us ( or some of us) every now and then? thanks

Driver: R11s - 3wood: RBZ - MIzuno 2 iron - rons: taylormade burner 2.0 4-pw - 63 degree: nike VR Forged - 52 Degree: nike VR Forged - 60 degree: callaway - Putter: odyssey white ice 2 ball I'm going to qualify for the U.S. Open and kick your boyfriend's ass. Whatever you think of me, you should know he hates old people, children, and dogs. Roy McAvoy.

Type "shanks" in the search bar at the top and you'll see multiple threads with just about all of the opinions you would ever care to read.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have this problem a lot with short wedge shots and occasionally with a full swing. Impact tape showed I was hitting the ball next to the hosel all the time. The reason, I discovered, was that on takeaway I would move the club away from me a tad as I took it back. After futile attempts to correct that glitch, I decided to accept it as the way I swing the club, and started to address the ball on the toe of the club. No more shanks.

• 2 months later...
We talkin' shanks?! Ok....let's talk shanks! Devastating to say the least. When I shank, it's colossal. Not only does it make a crack sound heard around the world...but it's painful...physically. I've actually noticed that sometimes I actually hit the shaft! I mean the spot where the epoxy holds the shaft tip to the hosel. But of course , my swing feels completely normal. I'm left handed. 8 HCP. If it wasn't for the shanks I believe I could get my HCP down to 4 or less. Just don't get it. Seems like once they set in...it's gonna be weeks before I lose them...and I have no idea what happens to make them go away. I've even hit 20yd sand wedges and shanked it. I'm looking to attend Golf Made Simple school in Denver this summer. For now I've been working on putting...never shanked a putt so no fear there. I dunno....it's such a devastating virus.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

We talkin' shanks?! Ok....let's talk shanks! Devastating to say the least. When I shank, it's colossal. Not only does it make a crack sound heard around the world...but it's painful...physically.

I've actually noticed that sometimes I actually hit the shaft! I mean the spot where the epoxy holds the shaft tip to the hosel. But of course , my swing feels completely normal.

I'm left handed. 8 HCP. If it wasn't for the shanks I believe I could get my HCP down to 4 or less. Just don't get it. Seems like once they set in...it's gonna be weeks before I lose them...and I have no idea what happens to make them go away.

I've even hit 20yd sand wedges and shanked it. I'm looking to attend Golf Made Simple school in Denver this summer. For now I've been working on putting...never shanked a putt so no fear there.

I dunno....it's such a devastating virus.

I hear you.  Just when I was starting think the irons were coming around, I play nine holes this morning and hit 4 shanks during the round.  It has been about two years now since something like this has happened.  I hit the range after and continued to struggle with the shanks, not as bad as I have in the past because I know how to practice now.  I could not find my feeling in the backswing.  Still very frustrating and I will have to take the camera to the range this week to see what has changed.  Gotta love this dang game though right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cipher

Nate

I hear you.  Just when I was starting think the irons were coming around, I play nine holes this morning and hit 4 shanks during the round.  It has been over two years now since something like this has happened.  I hit the range after and continued to struggle with the shanks, not as bad as I have in the past because I know how to practice now.  I could not find my feeling in the backswing.  Still very frustrating and I will have to take the camera to the range this week to see what has changed.  Gotta love this dang game though right?

I've been right there with ya'll too many times to count. After hitting the first shank is when it would be a great thing to be the stupidest of all stupid monkeys and think something was different about that swing (outside of the obvious). That requires completely forgetting that the same crappy swing hadn't shanked a ball in a year. My mind imediately flashes to images of Steve Sax, Chuck Knoblauch, or Rick Ankiel and those images won't leave my mind. Sometimes little tricks like trying to hit the ball on the toe, changing to fades or draws, and even trying to hit the hosel (yep that actually worked a few times) can snap me out of it...and sometimes it's best to simply call it a day and go home.

I've been right there with ya'll too many times to count.

After hitting the first shank is when it would be a great thing to be the stupidest of all stupid monkeys and think something was different about that swing (outside of the obvious). That requires completely forgetting that the same crappy swing hadn't shanked a ball in a year.

My mind imediately flashes to images of Steve Sax, Chuck Knoblauch, or Rick Ankiel and those images won't leave my mind.

Sometimes little tricks like trying to hit the ball on the toe, changing to fades or draws, and even trying to hit the hosel (yep that actually worked a few times) can snap me out of it...and sometimes it's best to simply call it a day and go home.

I am beginning to think this is the best.  If it is still there the next time, then start to fight through it.

That was brutal with Knoblauch, so hard to watch.

Nate

LOL! What a great post. I would never wish the shanks on anyone...well... Maybe Sergio or Patrick Reed....but it actually eases the pain to hear there are others out there who know exactly what it's like. I actually considered buying that shank proof wedge with the offset hosel just to see how long it would take before I shanked the bejesus outta it. Such a fascinating virus.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Hit the range today and the virus was dormant.

Nate

Note: This thread is 3606 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!