IGNORED

Durable Tour Ball

Note: This thread is 4425 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Among "tour balls" out there, I've found the Srixon Z-Stars and Bridgestone B330's to be the msot durable -- followed by Nike One Black, TItleist ProV, and then the TM Penta.  Never played the Nike 20xi ball.

For me at least, the B330's perform better than the Z-Stars.  The B330 is my choice.

What's in the Bag:
Driver: Taylormade SLDR 12*
3-wood: Taylormade Burner 15*
Hybrid: Taylormade Burner 19*
Irons: Callaway XR

Wedges: Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Newport Studio

Any suggestions for a Swing Speed of 87-90?

Currently, I have been using:

Srixon AD333

Maxfli Tour LC

Callaway HX Bite

The only one that holds the green well is the maxfli Tour LC's, but they quit making them last year and my supply is down to only a dozen.

I have the Callaway Diablo Tour in the "on deck circle" when my supply of the above runs out.

Had my swing speed checked.  It turned out not to be 105-110 like I was before.  It was testing at 100-105.  I guess I am getting slower.  Also could be that I was in dress shoes and a dress shirt after work.  I might retest when summer comes and I have been swinging a club consistently.   I will probably try a sleeve of the Z Star XV's and see if they compress for me.  If not I will try the regular ones.  Thanks everyone for the help and info.

I would check out the Srixon Q Stars.  I think they fall in that Range?

Quote:

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fozcycle

Srixon AD333

Maxfli Tour LC

Callaway HX Bite

Have you tried Titleist NXT Tours?  In terms of pure performance, I mentioned above that I like the Bridgestone B330 as my top choice.  However, if you factor cost into the equation, I like NXT Tours the most.  My swing speed (mid-90's) is similar to yours and they hold the green fine with any decent contact ... for me anyway.

What's in the Bag:

Originally Posted by nickel_aTm

Have you tried Titleist NXT Tours?  In terms of pure performance, I mentioned above that I like the Bridgestone B330 as my top choice.  However, if you factor cost into the equation, I like NXT Tours the most.  My swing speed (mid-90's) is similar to yours and they hold the green fine with any decent contact ... for me anyway.

I'm surprised you like the B330 so much if your SS is in the mid-90's.  That's one of the highest compression balls on the market.  Even Bridgestone indicates (on their website) that the B330 is for SS above 105 mph, and I think the website used to suggest the ball was for SS above 110mph.

Hey, to each his own though.  If you love that ball, by all means, play it.  I just think you might be able to hit better quality shots (compress the ball better) if you go with a lower compression ball like the Z Star you mentioned in your previous post.

Driver:       Cobra AMP Cell - Blue

Fairway:    TM Rocketballz Stage 2  *17
Hybrids:    Callaway X2 Hot 19* and 22*
Irons:        Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
Wedges:   Cleveland 588  51*, 56*, 60*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron GoLo Customized

Ball:          Srixon Z Star (2013)

Originally Posted by Fozcycle

Srixon AD333

Maxfli Tour LC

Callaway HX Bite

The only one that holds the green well is the maxfli Tour LC's, but they quit making them last year and my supply is down to only a dozen.

I have the Callaway Diablo Tour in the "on deck circle" when my supply of the above runs out.

Srixon Q-stars are good. You won't see the exact performance you'd see in a Z-star (Q-Star not as spinny). But overall, I'd suggest the Bridgestone B330-RX (or the RXS if you want more spin). They are tour balls specifically designed for players with a swing speed less than 100-105mph and should be exactly what your looking for.

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

Has anyone noticed much of a difference in short game performance between the z star and the z star xv?

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

Originally Posted by colin007

to the OP - you know that scuff in the picture doesnt really affect the performance of the ball, right?

That is not a scuff, the cover is torn through to the scond layer.  Also how could a large scuff not affect performance.  Seems to me it would create more drag and decrease distance.

Nate

when i said "doesnt really", i meant that the effect is negligible.  a few feet probably over a couple hundred yards.  the effect is more in your mind than in the ball.

Colin P.

Derek,

I should have clarified.  My favorite, best performing ball is the Bridgestone B330 RX .

The Tour B330 and the B330S are designed for swing speeds, like you said, well north of 100 mph.  But the RX version they made for short-knockin' mid-handicappers like me is muy bueno.

Originally Posted by Derek02

I'm surprised you like the B330 so much if your SS is in the mid-90's.  That's one of the highest compression balls on the market.  Even Bridgestone indicates (on their website) that the B330 is for SS above 105 mph, and I think the website used to suggest the ball was for SS above 110mph.

Hey, to each his own though.  If you love that ball, by all means, play it.  I just think you might be able to hit better quality shots (compress the ball better) if you go with a lower compression ball like the Z Star you mentioned in your previous post.

What's in the Bag:

Originally Posted by colin007

when i said "doesnt really", i meant that the effect is negligible.  a few feet probably over a couple hundred yards.  the effect is more in your mind than in the ball.

Probably true, I read somewhere that it was 3-5 yards at 200yds.  I read elsewhere that like you say it is negligible.  I really just don't like looking at the scuffs, I guess I should admit that.

Nate

yeah, i completely get that.  probably the fact that its unsightly to you (me too) is going to influence how you swing.  i tend to care more about my swing when im hitting a new fresh ball than when im playing a practice round with a crap ball.

Colin P.

Originally Posted by cipher

Has anyone noticed much of a difference in short game performance between the z star and the z star xv?

I tested them side by side on Wednesday, and IMO the Z Star has a softer feel and a little more greenside spin (as you would expect).  The XV does have plenty of spin though.  Distance was appx. the same, although I only hit a few drives side-by-side for comparison.  I intend to use the Z Star until the weather gets up above 70-75, and then switch to the XV.  It looks like you use the Z Star X currently.  The new XV has a lower compression than last year's model.  I never used the Z Star X to give a comparison on the two.

BTW, I also really like the ProV1x (2009), and had been using that for all of last season.  As I've stated on here before, I believe the X has more wedge spin than the regular ProV.  But that's actually one of the reasons I tested, and will likely switch to the XV...I was hitting too many wedge shots that were spinning back an inconsistant distance.  I realize that could just be my sometimes inconsistant swing mechanics, but so far, the XV (while generating plenty of wedge spin) has not been pulling back as much as the ProV1x, and it's been more predictable for me.

I still have about 5 dozen V1x's though......

Originally Posted by cipher

Have not tested it in a while though.  I will test it again shortly.  I believe the XV's are like a 105+ SS ball or something like that, correct?  The XI's must be similar.

Srixon indicated that the XV is for SS >95MPH.  That seems about right.  The ProV1x has a higher compression than the XV, and the XI's have a very high compression (along with Callaway's Tour iz).  The compression of the Pentas are marginally lower than the XVs.

Here's a link to another post that has the compression chart I am referencing.  I would just save and attach it myself, but I can't do it at work.

http://forum.*********.com/topic/4343-ball-compression-chart/

Originally Posted by Derek02

Srixon indicated that the XV is for SS >95MPH.  That seems about right.  The ProV1x has a higher compression than the XV, and the XI's have a very high compression (along with Callaway's Tour iz).  The compression of the Pentas are marginally lower than the XVs.

Here's a link to another post that has the compression chart I am referencing.  I would just save and attach it myself, but I can't do it at work.

http://forum.*********.com/topic/4343-ball-compression-chart/

Thanks for the help and info I really appreciate it!

Nate

• 4 weeks later...

I play the Srixon Z-Star. Previously played Penta and before that ProV1. For me the Z-Star does everything the other balls did but gives really good life. I stocked up a couple months ago when Golf Galaxy had Srixons on sale (like the Penta) but two get one free. Great ball.

Note: This thread is 4425 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!