IGNORED

Superstar Field at Abu Dhabi This Week

brocks
Note: This thread is 4441 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by WWBDD View Post

I would think you'd get fairly high odds against in Vegas.

Tiger 8 to 1, Rory 6.5 to 1, Kaymer 6 to 1, and the rest of the field is 6 to 1.  Those are favored players this week from a Vegas viewpoint.  And trust me, I know from experience that these guys do their research.   They obviously know tiger has been working his ass off.

And those odds are to win the tournament not to finish in top 5.  Soooo?.......

It's pretty cool that you got to play that course though!

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Pairings are out --- Tiger will play the first two rounds with Luke Donald and Rory McIlroy. Another group will be Westwood, Kaymer, and Sergio. I'm guessing that spectators will be able to get some very good views of the rest of the field.

Originally Posted by jhwmusic

Originally Posted by WWBDD

I would think you'd get fairly high odds against in Vegas.

Tiger 8 to 1, Rory 6.5 to 1, Kaymer 6 to 1, and the rest of the field is 6 to 1.  Those are favored players this week from a Vegas viewpoint.  And trust me, I know from experience that these guys do their research.   They obviously know tiger has been working his ass off.

And those odds are to win the tournament not to finish in top 5.  Soooo?.......

It's pretty cool that you got to play that course though!

Yes but... bookies odds are a function of where the money has been placed not who the bookies think will win. Back in the the day when Tiger was dominating everything the odds on offer were much lower than the statistical odds of him winning the tournament purely because all the money was going on Tiger and the bookies didn't want to catch a cold with him winning.

Even the initial odds given are a mixture of who the bookies think will win and where they think the money will go.

The classic example is England in a soccer World Cup, we always start second favorite with UK bookmakers behind Brazil. We're sh!t, we're not going to win, but there are thousands of mug punters lumping on and giving bookies easy money, but the bookies cut the odds in case the unthinkable happens.

i get what you are saying and I know that it is somewhat based on how people are betting but they also don't create odds that will cause them to lose their ass! If they made the odds for Tiger 100 to 1, there would be people betting their life savings. ha ha. And if people didn't think Tiger had a chance to win, they wouldn't be betting on him, right?
DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

I believe I heard on TGC that Tiger has seen this course at least once before.  They were talking about how the last time he played it, he didn't have a cut shot so on one hole which had a right to left wind, he didn't success w/ the draw.  During this yr's practice round, Tiger made note of that and hit a cut down the middle of the fariway ...

I did note that TGC is hyping the 4am EST start on Thursday, but the Tiger/Rory/Luke pairing will go off at 10:40pm EST Wednesday so they'll be done.

Originally Posted by brocks

Among others, McIlRoy, Donald, McDowell, Kaymer, Westwood, Schwartzel, Clarke, Harrington, Garcia, Day, Choi. Oh, and Woods.

AFAIK, Tiger's never seen the course before, and some of the above play it every year, so he's got his work cut out. But if he could pull off a win against this field, there would be no doubt that he's back.

** I was mistaken, Tiger hasn't played this one before.

Originally Posted by topspin4hand

I believe I heard on TGC that Tiger has seen this course at least once before.  They were talking about how the last time he played it, he didn't have a cut shot so on one hole which had a right to left wind, he didn't success w/ the draw.  During this yr's practice round, Tiger made note of that and hit a cut down the middle of the fariway ...

I did note that TGC is hyping the 4am EST start on Thursday, but the Tiger/Rory/Luke pairing will go off at 10:40pm EST Wednesday so they'll be done.

Originally Posted by topspin4hand

** I was mistaken, Tiger hasn't played this one before.

No, but he's won the Dubai Desert Classic a couple of times. I was in attendance the year Rory won.

I've never played that course (the Majlis course), but I did play the Faldo course also at Emirates golf club.

In my bag ... 12 year old Balvenie DoubleWood

Pairings are out --- Tiger will play the first two rounds with Luke Donald and Rory McIlroy. Another group will be Westwood, Kaymer, and Sergio.

I'm guessing that spectators will be able to get some very good views of the rest of the field.

That is a sick pairing.  Get your DVR's cleared up of your wife's useless Bravo shows... You're going to need extra space to record that baby in HD!!!  :D

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pairings are out --- Tiger will play the first two rounds with Luke Donald and Rory McIlroy. Another group will be Westwood, Kaymer, and Sergio. I'm guessing that spectators will be able to get some very good views of the rest of the field.

I guess there's no point in watching the rest of the season, you can't really get two better pairings than that. Should be a good one.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I made a call. They've agreed to move the Wednesday night coverage up to 10:00 EST. You're welcome.

lol ... someone just told me.  TGC just found some additional advertising revenue for these time slots.  And yet some of their analysts took digs at players making money grabs.

I made a call. They've agreed to move the Wednesday night coverage up to 10:00 EST. You're welcome.

for reals?  its on tonight at 10??

For reals. Pre-game at 10PM Eastern, 7PM Pacific, and live coverage starts 10:30/7:30 on TGC. Tiger's group tees off at 10:40, so you'll see his whole round.

• Upvote 1

8PM Mountain time then?

According to TGC TV Schedule on their website -

• 10:00 PM ET
  • 10:30 PM ET
  • 11:00 PM ET
  • 11:30 PM ET

• EUROPEAN TOUR WEEKLY
  • INSIDE THE PGA TOUR
  • GOLF CHANNEL ACADEMY
  • GOLF CENTRAL

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

it starts at 3.30am here in England so im guessing it'll be on at 10.30 for you lot

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

For reals. Pre-game at 10PM Eastern, 7PM Pacific, and live coverage starts 10:30/7:30 on TGC. Tiger's group tees off at 10:40, so you'll see his whole round.

That is awesome!  Can't wait.

I love these foreign events simply because it's a weird/surreal experience to watch live golf late night/early early morning.  That's why I love watching the British Open here on the West Coast.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

That is awesome!  Can't wait.

I love these foreign events simply because it's a weird/surreal experience to watch live golf late night/early early morning.  That's why I love watching the British Open here on the West Coast.

Brandon

+1  I'll be dragging at work tomorrow but it will be worth it.  I'm making a pot of coffee right now (cause I'm old and can't stay up past 10:30 otherwise, lol).

That a boy!!   I only got a few hours of sleep last night, but it isn't going to stop me from watching.  I could DVR it but that's no fun...plus the golf news emails I get every day always ruin it for me.  I'm throwing a pot of coffee myself.

Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

+1  I'll be dragging at work tomorrow but it will be worth it.  I'm making a pot of coffee right now (cause I'm old and can't stay up past 10:30 otherwise, lol).

Note: This thread is 4441 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!