IGNORED

How many of you have broken a golf ball?

BuckeyeNut
Note: This thread is 4032 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yes....LOL....I've shattered more than a few golf balls in the cold over the years.  Some breakages were very entertaining.....I've seen them split in two with halves slicing left and right in opposite directions. I've knocked the cover clean off with the core remaining intact and flying 100yds or less without the cover....

I've also just cracked them.

I should also add....Yes....I do play any crap "found ball" in the winter..(as you can tell by the pic)

IMG_0107.jpg

Most recently (last weekend)... this crap "found ball" broke..........LOL  I've shattered many golf balls in the winter.......they definitely get brittle in the cold!

What about you?  Have you ever played in the cold and shattered golf balls?

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I usually don't play when it's very cold out so I've never had the issue...

...well now that I think of it...I've cracked a few...with a lawnmower.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

Back in the ancient past - like around 1970 - this was fairly common if you played one-piece balls. (Can't remember what companies made them). These balls were would get v-shape cracks or split in two in just about any weather.

They were popular among less monied golfers, because you could trade a new Titleist for two of these. With a crisp iron shot, you could get the one-pieceto stop after one or two hops.

In the summer they really ran, but sometimes would crack from repeatedly bouncing off of bone-dry public course fairways. They were fairly durable - resisting cuts - until they broke.

Rule for break-up: You played your next shot from where the largest piece of the ball landed. No penalty, but the stroke that broke the ball counted.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Rule for break-up: You played your next shot from where the largest piece of the ball landed. No penalty, but the stroke that broke the ball counted.

That seems fair. Anyone know what the ruling would be under the Rules of Golf? I realise no one on tour is playing a one piece ball but surely the occasional (lookin' at you Bubba!) ball gets broken? Would it just fall under the same umbrella as replacing a scuffed/damaged ball? ball?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Ive broken a few during winter driving range sessions but the only time Ive cut the cover like that was where I skulled the ball with my 60 degree wedge.  It doesnt take much to cut today's soft-covered tour balls though.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Back in the ancient past - like around 1970 - this was fairly common

LOL...I'm not talking about cutting a smile into a ball like in the old days!

I'm talking about taking a ROCK HARD modern ball.....and breaking it.    Anyway.....just saying:)

What's in Paul's Bag:

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Ive broken a few during winter driving range sessions but the only time Ive cut the cover like that was where I skulled the ball with my 60 degree wedge.  It doesnt take much to cut today's soft-covered tour balls though.

I remember the old days cutting a smile in a balata cover with a bladed shot.......those days are long gone.  I guess I'm talking about cracking a hard nut....not by blading.........just breaking it with a solid shot.  LOL

I've blown them up many different unique ways......

What's in Paul's Bag:

Quote:

LOL...I'm not talking about cutting a smile into a ball like in the old days!

I'm talking about taking a ROCK HARD modern ball.....and breaking it.    Anyway.....just saying:)

My remarks talked about breaking 1970-era one piece golf balls, which were also fairly hard.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

c'mon...........really?

LOL

Please don't equate a bladed sliced smile into a '70s ball..............with breaking a modern day ball with a solid shot..  LOL.................you have seen the pic....you know better.  Sheesh........I'm not talking about blading 40yr old ball and cutting the cover....

What's in Paul's Bag:

I've broken more than I can count but, it's always been on the simulators where you hit the same ball over and over.  When it breaks too it's like hitting a marshmallow except the ball goes no where.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Does cutting a golf ball in half with a jigsaw count?

But besides that, very often on the driving range I get a couple of cracked golf balls every now and then.

I've cracked quite a few, never in winter though.  Most are when I began and played the more brittle distance balls.  However, I've cracked 3 tp blacks, a tour i I found, as well as 1 pro V.  I think part of the problem is that I don't know when to retire a ball.  I'll play it until it gets lost or if it's unlikely, to fly true, like a gouge or a crack.  The small cracks sometimes go unnoticed, and I've played with those balls and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.  The ball will take off fine, but then go quite a bit shorter, and spin a direction you didn't want.

I have cracked the occasional random ball I pick up, but don't think I've ever played a new, quality ball until it cracked.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• 1 year later...

Had this happen with two balls this past weekend....never before. Temp in the mid 50s here in FL last weekend. Found the below re the ruling:

http://www.usga.org/ChampEventRulesCorner.aspx?id=21474841370&blogid;=2147484179

If a ball breaks into pieces as the result of a stroke, the stroke is cancelled and the player would play a ball to the spot from which the stroke was made.

Written by John Van der Borght, manager of Rules Communications for the USGA.

Found a used PRO V1 in my last round (2nd hole) didn't look bad at all so I played it. Cover flew off on 4th hole. I thought I shanked it but it was the cover lol

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9
SM4 Titleist Vokey Wedges 47, 54, 58
College freshman playing golf at Wabash College in Indiana!

I noticed cracks in them several times at some point in my round. A few times I'm pretty sure it was cracked for a few shots before I noticed it and just thought the poor shots were my fault.

One time on a tee shot the ball broke into at least two pieces and I watched the biggest piece as it sliced off into the woods.

I knew there used to be a rule that said you played your next shot from where the biggest piece came to rest and since the biggest piece was not findable I took a penalty stroke and teed up again.

According to DynoMite's comment that rule may no longer be relevant and I could have teed up again without penalty???

I guess it cost me a stroke not knowing the current rules.

I broke a ball once by blading an iron.

Other than that, every ball i drive gets smashed into at least 3 pieces...

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

Note: This thread is 4032 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!