IGNORED

Fat putter grips.......legit?

Note: This thread is 4078 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been trying a fat putter grip for about the past four months.  I think it helps me minimize undesirable motion in the stroke and I feel like I do make more putts because of it.  IMO, it's a cheap experiment.

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

Fat putter grips were a running topic of discussion at the St. Louis Golf Expo a couple of weeks ago.

Overall, the teaching pros agreed the fatter grips took unnecessary hand twitches out of the putting stroke -  but once the grips got too large, the golfer starts losing "feel" for the shot.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...
Fat putter grips were a running topic of discussion at the St. Louis Golf Expo a couple of weeks ago. Overall, the teaching pros agreed the fatter grips took unnecessary hand twitches out of the putting stroke -  but once the grips got too large, the golfer starts losing "feel" for the shot.

This was pretty much my experience. What ever the fat grip did to smooth my hands out of my stroke was negated by the fact that the effective weight of the club was greatly reduced. I saw no benefit (and even a little loss because of the learning curve) and have since moved away from the large grips.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• 11 months later...

Anybody mess with this lately?

- resurrecting the thread.

I've switched my grip to two fingers interlocking, and forefingers and thumbs down the golf shaft.  I've had a lot of success in control and aiming (along with moving my alignment to center of stance vs forward. My 8 foot putts feel as comfy now as my 4 footers used to.....

one problem now is that the grip now 'feels' too thin and when practicing, my hands get uncomfortable very quickly - so wondering about switching to something beefier to get a better grip...

(suspect it's a pretty cheap experiment regardless)

Bill - 

I have used both the super stroke ultra slim(taper) and now a super stroke 1.3. Like stated about its a great $12 experiment. No one can tell you if it will help you or not. For me I liked the tapered ultra slim because if felt great and it seemed to eliminate the over usage my left hand.

I was looking to replace my two ball putter (odyssey) with a new one when I realized that the putters I liked all had the oversized grips on them. So I just slapped one on my putter and it was a great move. I have putted much better since. I would recommend them to anyone.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

I have the Winn-Lite Jumbo putter grip, and wouldn't go with a standard sized grip again.

I think a lot of the problem with "feel" that people have struggled with comes from a lot of the big putter grips being heavier, which does make you lose the feel of the clubhead, but a lot of manufacturers now make Jumbo putter grips that are the same weight as standard grips.

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Fat putter grips were a running topic of discussion at the St. Louis Golf Expo a couple of weeks ago.

Overall, the teaching pros agreed the fatter grips took unnecessary hand twitches out of the putting stroke -  but once the grips got too large, the golfer starts losing "feel" for the shot.

So, how fat is too fat?  I guess it depends on how drunk you are...

• Upvote 1

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I use a Winn Jumbo Lite that looks like this:

Initially, I chose it for its extra length rather than extra girth, as I like to have my hands completely separated with the grip in both lifelines. Have subsequently found that it is -- as advertised -- also very good at isolating the hands for those of us who prefer a "big muscle" stroke. Left hand low, with the left elbow tight against the rib cage is the most stable putting method I've ever found. Way better than a belly.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Note: This thread is 4078 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!