IGNORED

R11s Driver

Robamos
Note: This thread is 4418 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hmmmm, this has the smell of meat by product.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Major snafu tonight with the Golf Galaxy midnight release of the R11s and RBZ. I went with the intentions of picking up an R11s driver and an RBZ 3w. For some reason the R11s products won't scan in any computers. They keep getting a message saying the product release date isn't yet. GG called the TM help line and said the problem is nationwide. Ended up only leaving with the RBZ 3w. I have to go back in the morning to see if it's straightened out. They gave me two free sleeves of RBZ balls, free grippin fee on both clubs and (I think accidentally) an second RBZ headcover for the 3w.

taylormade.gifR11S 9* Driver Aldila RIP Phenom 60 R Flex

taylormade.gifRBZ 3W 15* Matrix Ozik XCon-5 R Flex
taylormade.gif'11 Rescue Hybrids 3 (18*), 4 (21*) Aldila RIP 65 HB R Flex
taylormade.gifR11 5-PW KBS Steel R Flex | taylormade.gifTP XFT 52* 56* 60* KBS Steel

cameron.gif California Coronado 35" | ogio.gif Grom Black Plaid Bag |  Penta TP

I am just a weekend golfer playing off 13.

The R11s for me is a good thing.

Balance and weight distribution have improved over the R11.

I have moved through many drivers but none as good as this one.

I now having a look at R11s Fairway Wood.

Being a weekend golfer, do you really feel that the tuning ability in the R11s is all that necessary? I've been looking around for a new driver lately and was wondering if I'd even use all that tuning stuff that the R11s has.

If anything, all that adjustability could be used to correct (hide) a high handicappers swing faults.  I see it as a crutch of sorts.....I mean why would a low-capper that has a fairly well-grooved swing need a 35 yard (or more) adjustment in either direction?  It's not like they can adjust it mid-round to try a make a cut around a dog leg or something, it's not allowed.  But....help a low-capper by giving them some fine tuning?  You bet.  I honestly believe this club is directed at all skill levels.  There is another thread here that is associating the R11 line with high skilled players and the burner (or RBZ) products for the hackers beacuse if their cost.  I think the hacker will get more benefit from the infinitely adjustable clubs, and those that have a well developed swing actual need less adjustments.

Still smells like meat food to me.

-Landon

I hit almost all the new drivers on a LM on friday, had a few drivers to turn in for credit so I knew I was going to get a new one.  The R11s killed all the others in flight, spin, and ball speed.  I was getting about 40yds longer run outs with the R11s because of the lower spin.  I bought it.  Crazy because I HATED the R11.  Biggest surprises for me? The RBZ sucked in my hands, and so did the G20.  I could not control the RBZ, never got the feel for where the head was.  The spin on the G20 was crazy high, run outs of only 250.  My SS is around 107 FYI.

Monza Featherweight Stand Bag
R11s with RIP Phenom Stiff
R11 3 Wood
R9 Irons 3-PW with KBS Tour Shafts
Vokey 52-4 Deg Spin Milled Wedge Vokey 56-11 Deg Spin Milled Wedge Vokey 60-4 Deg Spin Milled Wedge

Scotty Cameron California Hollywood Putter

I actually had a hard time hitting the R11s. It just didn't feel that good in my hands and the RBZ was much better. I am still curious if the R11s with the aldila phenom 60 in it is the same as the one in the titleist d3 drivers?

Originally Posted by ajohnson161

I could not control the RBZ, never got the feel for where the head was.  The spin on the G20 was crazy high, run outs of only 250.  My SS is around 107 FYI.

Did you have the same shaft in all of them?? The shaft is a huge factor when it comes to spin.

I hit almost all the new drivers on a LM on friday, had a few drivers to turn in for credit so I knew I was going to get a new one.  The R11s killed all the others in flight, spin, and ball speed.  I was getting about 40yds longer run outs with the R11s because of the lower spin.  I bought it.  Crazy because I HATED the R11.  Biggest surprises for me? The RBZ sucked in my hands, and so did the G20.  I could not control the RBZ, never got the feel for where the head was.  The spin on the G20 was crazy high, run outs of only 250.  My SS is around 107 FYI.

What shaft did you go with?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For those who are comparing launch angle and spin from various drivers, are you using the same shaft?  The clubhead (apart from loft) has very little to do with this.  They can manipulate the sweet spot through weight distribution, and increase face speed through materials and design, but launch angle and spin are going to be functions of shaft properties and loft.

As for those who are knocking the adjustability factor as a crutch....  I agree that people should have solid golf swings.  But compare Matt Kuchar (flattest swing ever) and Colin Montgomerie (most upright swing ever).  Both are excellent golfers, potentially HoF.  Both (I'm sure) have adjustments made to their clubs to make sure the equipment is enhancing what they do well, not limiting it.

All that adjustability does is bring this same level of customization, previously available only in tour vans, to the neighborhood pro shop.  Most of us could benefit from one degree flatter or more upright.  Few of us have the resources, time, or patience to hit ten shots with a driver, then bend it, then hit ten more shots, then bend it back... ad nauseum.  You shouldn't be setting your driver 5 degrees closed to cure your slice (it's easier fixed by changing your grip and stance, anyway).  You should, however, make minor adjustments to your club setup so that you're starting with the club well-soled and square.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by k-troop

As for those who are knocking the adjustability factor as a crutch....  I agree that people should have solid golf swings.  But compare Matt Kuchar (flattest swing ever) and Colin Montgomerie (most upright swing ever).  Both are excellent golfers, potentially HoF.  Both (I'm sure) have adjustments made to their clubs to make sure the equipment is enhancing what they do well, not limiting it.

Originally Posted by moparman426

I see it as a crutch of sorts.....

I wasn't knocking it.....because it can be used to mask a high handicappers swing faults (which is why I am looking for a nice, used r9 supertri .)  All I was alluding to is that I can't see a tour pro needing a 35 yard adjustment, so the club isn't necessarily directed at the best golfers out there.  Everyone can benefit from it.  Someone else had pointed out that the lesser lines were for beginners, and I said the opposite could be true.  I also didn't say it was limiting good players either, I said it allowed them to fine-tune.

I wasn't knocking it.....because it can be used to mask a high handicappers swing faults (which is why I am looking for a nice, used r9 supertri .)  All I was alluding to is that I can't see a tour pro needing a 35 yard adjustment, so the club isn't necessarily directed at the best golfers out there.  Everyone can benefit from it.  Someone else had pointed out that the lesser lines were for beginners, and I said the opposite could be true.  I also didn't say it was limiting good players either, I said it allowed them to fine-tune.

I think you've got it 100% backward. It will not and cannot mask a high handicappers swing faults, but it will help fine tune a repetitive, consistent swing.

-Landon

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

What shaft did you go with?

I went with the stock stiff Phenom 60.  I hit the TP Phenom 65 and threw in my Fubuki 63.  The high kick point on the Phenom 65 was no good for me, my Fubuki 63 was pretty good but spin rates were still best with the Phenom 60.  I could only hit the G20 with the stock stiff TFC 169D.  The RBZ I tried a couple different shafts but it made no difference for me.

Monza Featherweight Stand Bag
R11s with RIP Phenom Stiff
R11 3 Wood
R9 Irons 3-PW with KBS Tour Shafts
Vokey 52-4 Deg Spin Milled Wedge Vokey 56-11 Deg Spin Milled Wedge Vokey 60-4 Deg Spin Milled Wedge

Scotty Cameron California Hollywood Putter

I went with the stock stiff Phenom 60.  I hit the TP Phenom 65 and threw in my Fubuki 63.  The high kick point on the Phenom 65 was no good for me, my Fubuki 63 was pretty good but spin rates were still best with the Phenom 60.  I could only hit the G20 with the stock stiff TFC 169D.  The RBZ I tried a couple different shafts but it made no difference for me.

Good stuff.  Thanks for the response.  I have the R11 TP from 2011... I'm going to go back and hit the R11S side by side with the same shafts and compare it on the Trackman.  The problem with the R11S I was hitting last Friday on the release date was it was a 10.5*... I want to try it with a 9*, but my guy didn't have it in stock on the release date.  And I didn't do a side by side comparison with my R11.

Note: This thread is 4418 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!