IGNORED

Balls or Birdies? (POLL)

JohnQVegas
Note: This thread is 4430 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Which do you choose?

• GO FOR IT! No guts, no glory
    • Stay Dry; Better safe than sorry

During a typical round, if you're faced with either a tee shot or a fairway shot where you can either go over the water and cut the distance or lay up and ensure you're staying dry, which do you choose?

I voted go for it, but obviously it depends on the exact circumstances.  In general my distances are pretty consistent (as far as worrying about clearing a hazard, not pro style within a yard or two or anything), so if I've got a shot to a green on my 2nd shot on a par 5 that requires a 4i or a 2h shot to get to the green and there's water between me and the green but there's not water right or left of the green, then I'm going for it.

On a par 5 I'm more willing to lay up if it's unnecessarily risky.  On a par 4 I'm going for the green pretty much every time, though I'm a pretty long hitter so unless there's a huge dog leg and I had to hit an iron off the tee, I'm generally not going to have anything longer than a 6i into the green, and I'm not laying up from 6i or less distance to a par 4 green pretty much no matter what.

It also depends from the tee box.  If I can hit a shorter club and totally take water out of play but still leave myself with a 5i or 6i into the green, then I might go for it, depending on exactly where the water is and how the hole's laid out and such.  If hitting a short tee shot only takes the water out of play if I set up for a 2h to a par 4 green, then I'm probably just gonna hit driver or 3w and go for it.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How about this answer: It Depends.

How's my swing feeling that day?

Where do I stand in my match?

What's my confidence level - do I feel like I can pull it off?

If it's Match Play, where's my opponent on the hole?

It's not, and never has been, an absolute question I can easily answer yes or no. Give me the exact same shot two days in a row & I may lay up day one and go for it day two. Or reverse. Or lay up both days or go for it both days.

I don't think there is a yes or no answer to your question. I'd like to think my game has evolved to the point where the smart shot is more important than the "glory shot". Which is not to say I wouldn't go for it if it was the smart thing to do.

Steve

I voted stay dry, but if you would have asked me 5 years ago, I would have said go for it!  I don't have that extra gear, let alone the believe that I have an extra gear like I did when I was younger, so now, I stay dry.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

The shot could be a defining moment, and when a defining moment comes along, you define the moment... or the moment defines you.  This is the choice it comes down to - this is our immortality.

• Upvote 1

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

I usually go for it, as long as there are no external conditions which can cause havoc. Like a heavy wind in any direction. Risky shots in strong wind rarely works out. But if I got a good lie and know I can hit the club the distance, I'm going for it. I lose balls all the time anyways. :P

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

When playing alone, I prefer to stay dry off the tee. I often lose sight of tee shots on forced carries, but into the greens I can usually pick up the ball.

If it's a team event and someone else is counting on my score, I'll take my chances with a wedge and putter. On my own ball and with other people watching (spotting) I'll likely give it a rip.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Gresh24

The shot could be a defining moment, and when a defining moment comes along, you define the moment... or the moment defines you.  This is the choice it comes down to - this is our immortality.

..and where is the drop area?

It's really hard to say and really depends on a number of factors.  If I have a lot of green to work with on the other side of the water, maybe I'll go for it because I can club up a little, but if there's crap behind the green as well I'm probably gonna lay up.  It also depends how far out I am in general, how the swing is that day, how the score is that day, weather, etc.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Both. Because it depends.

First hole each Saturday offers a carry-and-leave-70-yards-or-less shot or a simple 5-iron down the fairway. Narrow landing area if you go for it but if the wind is not messing you up, you can even drive the green. Miss the carry shot and you are teeing again most of the time. Hit the simple shot and you have 140 or less to the green. I almost always hit the 5-iron.

Fifth hole has a split fairway. Carry the water to the left fairway and you have 100-125 left to the green. Miss it and the drop area leaves you 220 to the green guarded by that water. OR, go straight and the tee shot is forgiving and easy. But you are left with anywhere from 130-175 to the green and you need to carry the water on that is now right in front of the green when approaching from the right fairway. In my group, I am the only guy who always goes left off the tee. Landing area is more forgiving than it looks and it only takes a good shot (not a great shot) to be safe. On the first tee, it takes a great shot to be safe.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by JohnQVegas

During a typical round, if you're faced with either a tee shot or a fairway shot where you can either go over the water and cut the distance or lay up and ensure you're staying dry, which do you choose?

I couldn't vote...........

It just depends on the situation, the percentages, and how I am playing that day.  I play both conservative golf and pick my spots to play aggressive too.  I've been faced with the exact same shot on different days, and both laid up and attacked at different times.  When I do attack, I am confident I will succeed.  The key...IMO...is knowing what you are capable of and knowing your game.

IE....I often see beginners/higher HC players attempt aggressive shots with virtually no chance of success.  I think there is a big difference between playing aggressive and stupid.  The key is knowing the difference between the two...LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by Domenic

tin cup anyone

Hahaha......maybe the 2nd best golf movie Ever!!

What's in Paul's Bag:

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

... I think there is a big difference between playing aggressive and stupid.  The key is knowing the difference between the two...LOL

I'd say it is a big difference and a very fine line. It is often very hard to tell which side of that line I'm on as I address the ball. 99% of the time, the line becomes very clear when the ball is in the air.

Not too often you see someone posing after a perfect shot, and they yell, "Dang it! I am such an idiot! I should've gone for it."

We all know where the line is when we take our blinders off.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

Hahaha......maybe the 2nd best golf movie Ever!!

it was on a couple days ago on golf channel.....and please don't say Caddyshack is the best.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

Originally Posted by Domenic

it was on a couple days ago on golf channel.....and please don't say Caddyshack is the best.

yep....hahahaha

What's in Paul's Bag:

Note: This thread is 4430 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!