IGNORED

Ping i20 stock shaft question

ronbo25
Note: This thread is 3591 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just got back from hitting the new i20 driver (9.5 degree, TFC 707 D Stiff shaft) on the launch monitor.  First off - WOW!  great looking club and feels equally as good.

My numbers averaged out as follows:

swing speed - 101 (forgot to write down the ball speed)

launch angle - 13.7

backspin - 2500

carry - 255

total distance - 275

My swing coach said that for my swing speed, that shaft was perfect and that I pretty much maxed out my distance for my swing speed.  Totally trust his judgement, just need to ask.....

Anyone have experience with the off the shelf TFC shafts from Ping?   I have heard a brand named custom shafts that Ping offers can be more consistent.

Thanks for your help.

Driver : ping.gifG15 10.5* Serrano Stiff
3W: callaway.gif RAZR 15*
Hybrids : adams.gif A7 19*
4- PW : mizuno.gif MP - 63
Wedges : vokey.gif50*, 54*, 60*Putter: cameron.gif Scotty Newport 2.5Bag: sunmountain.gif 2011 SunMountain C-130

When I got my i15 my numbers were really good with the tfc shaft on the monitor so I went with the tfc shaft. Once I got on the course with it my drives weren't as pretty and I had some massive hook trouble. I ended up getting a new shaft put in and I drove the ball fine after the new shaft was installed. My best advice is to hit it on a range so you can see the ball flight...

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I have one coming with a DI next Friday.... Hurry up Ping and put it together already!

:callaway: BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5* Rogue Silver 60 :callaway: x2hot 3deep 14.5* (TBD) :tmade: RSI UDI 20* RIP Tour 90 :bridgestone: J40CB 4-PW Steelfiber i95 :vokey: SM4 50* KBS Tour V :vokey: SM5 54* KBS 610 :vokey: SM5 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 MannKrafted Handmade Custom

Originally Posted by ronbo25

My swing coach said that for my swing speed, that shaft was perfect and that I pretty much maxed out my distance for my swing speed.  Totally trust his judgement, just need to ask.....

Anyone have experience with the off the shelf TFC shafts from Ping?   I have heard a brand named custom shafts that Ping offers can be more consistent.

Thanks for your help.

Some of the tour players do use the TFC, a prototype version but it is a TFC.  i20 has 2 stock options, the TFC and Project X.  The TFC is heavier and less torque(feels stiffer).  Going to help take spin off and maybe launch it lower than the Project X.  They're good shafts for a stock shaft.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

I haven't had good experiences with the TFC stock shafts from Ping.  Somehow I feel that the quality control is poor and the shafts are inconsistent.  I had two identical G20 drivers with identical shafts and lofts that played completely differently.  I did try out the i20 with Project X shaft last weekend that was in a demo Ping setup and it felt OK.  But really if I did get an i20 I would immediately put an after market Mitsubishi Ahina 72gr shaft in stiff and let that baby rip.

My i20 with the stock TFC shaft is the longest driver I have ever hit.  And it goes straight.  I didnt care for the project X.  The irons are even better!!!!!!

I am kinda shocked they didn't put a better golf shaft in that club. Its meant to be a player's driver, it should have some shaft options with some less torque..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by saevel25

I am kinda shocked they didn't put a better golf shaft in that club. Its meant to be a player's driver, it should have some shaft options with some less torque..

Like all companies, it saves costs putting in a less expensive shaft or a "made for" shaft.  You're not going to get the real thing for $399 or less.

The PING TFC 707D is a mid-torque, low launch, low spinning shaft.  I think companies will tend to favor a shaft that is has slightly more torque than less, even though it is suppose to be aimed towards a player that wants low spin, low launch.  And PING always has these options available for an upcharge http://www.ping.com/uploadedFiles/clubs/customize/PING_Custom_Options.pdf

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Yea, i was looking through the upcharge cost at Golf Galaxy the other night, i couldn't even find a shaft that i liked that wasn't going to make the golf club under 600 dollars. Thats just crazy...

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 1 month later...

well my fellow hackers.....

1. 707 shaft is a UST--  made in bangladesh reads 62 gram 4.1 torked

2. Ping head made in china --all  clubs assembled in USA

3. feel? light ,strong, muted click with the head position allways predictable

4. looks? one word......brilliant  (put a yellow /black new decade grip for a sweet contrast)

5. distance? long ,low-mid, straight, easy  to work left or right

6. accuracy? just point and shoot.... smoothly....almost feels like im cheating

7. me? 9.5 reg i20 707...260-310 yards... swinger dependent. ss 95-105/ hcp 6-11/ 5'9"

180lbs/ mild beer belly

8. bottom line? im a feel player... maybe twice a month... out Palms Springs way. this is a rock solid performer , has won a place in MY bag and thats sayin' alot. get it ,blast away and your opponents will cower from your new driving prowess. 350$$ is steep but i had to have it...couldnt wait for a beater/ demo store return...as if anyone will give one back.

signed,

the most interesting man in golf

I have a project x shaft in my driver and a 707 in my 3 wood. I like the x in the driver. It is really easy to hit a boring shot that pierces the wind. The three wood is a bad *zz, I love my i 20 clubs.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I tried a ping i20 with the 707 stiff for a few rounds. I play regularly off a handicap of 4.

Felt ok off a range matt- however.

Found the shaft to be very inconsistant on the course.

Agressive swings were a no no and I was prone to hooking the ball or worse still the occasional high slice to the right.

Both shots very destructive as rough is so thick at present.

Needless to say i have parted company with the i 20.

Looking at getting a razr x black with something more consistant - probably a NV 75.

• 3 weeks later...
Funny how anyone can post positive or negative and have only "one" post as myself. Yes. This is directed at the post above. Should've named yourself "iSuxAndCantPlayPings" then we'd know why you felt the need to make one post negative. Lol

Seems to be several 1 post opinions in this thread.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

I play a Ping Rapture 9* and love it. The only driver I've hit in the past 2 years I would replace it with is the i20. I demo'd it several weeks ago, with the 707 shaft. I would really like to have tried the other shaft but it wasn't available at the time.

I agree with your post on the Ping TFC 707 shaft. I demo'd an i20 in Colorado for 2 rounds and was getting an awesome sound off the face, much better ball speed than my current driver, and more distance. Rather than buying that driver, I waited until I got home and bought an i20 with the same loft, same flex in the shrink wrap, and this driver just doesn't sound as solid, nor does it seem to match the distance. Any suggestions on what to do now?

Haven't hit the driver, but I bought the i20 3-wood with the tfc shaft.  It launches lower than any other 3w I've had, which is why I bought it.  I hit both shafts, and the project-x didn't feel right, and I don't feel the money for another shaft is worth it.

Note: This thread is 3591 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!